Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
JustChuck

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by JustChuck »

Dashcam (2021)
From the director of Host (2020), this is grosser than it needed to be, the camera is all over the place and the central character is tough to watch. (I'm not talking about her conservative politics, it's her general attitude towards everything that's aggressively off-putting.) On the other hand, this gets extremely scary in places. Can't recommend it on that alone, but a filmmaker who can deliver good scares is always worth pointing out.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

JustChuck wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:56 pm Dashcam (2021)
From the director of Host (2020), this is grosser than it needed to be, the camera is all over the place and the central character is tough to watch. (I'm not talking about her conservative politics, it's her general attitude towards everything that's aggressively off-putting.) On the other hand, this gets extremely scary in places. Can't recommend it on that alone, but a filmmaker who can deliver good scares is always worth pointing out.
I planned on checking that one out. Didn't know it was the same person who did Host, which I thought was pretty decent.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Frank and Penelope. A story of true love and religious cannibals. A guy comes home to find his wife getting railed and ends up meeting a stripper. Together they stop at a motel in the desert where there's a cult of religious nuts that eat sinners. Outside of a couple things at the very end I didn't understand(as in, why is this in the film, not that it was confusing), it was surprisingly good. Worth checking out for something slightly different.

Also, there's a scene at a hospital with some of the worst over acting I've ever seen before. It's in the background, but man, that shit was hilariously bad.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Prey. Yeah, so this is kinda a dumb film. The predator is dumb, the characters are dumb, the ending is dumb. Maybe worth watching if you're bored and have nothing better to do, but man, just know not to expect much. Such a disappointment.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Prey - All in all its okay. There are embarrassingly bad CGI scenes and some of the dialog is corny. It never made me feel like I was watching a 1700's native American period piece more like a bad History Channel re-enactment. I liked the lead actress and the pooch. It's a grade of "C" almost a "C+" and might be upon another viewing
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Nekrotronic. A guy finds out he's a necromancer and is recruited to fight demons that are possessing people via a phone app. It's as goofy as it sounds, but in a fun way. The possessed remind me a little of deadites in the way they move. The film is very fast-paced, so you don't have much time to think about anything that's going on. Could be a good thing considering the subject matter. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for some cheesy shit.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Glorious. A guy gets trapped in a rest stop bathroom with an eldritch god. It's mostly comedic in its approach until it gets close to the end. Almost the entire film is set in the bathroom with just the guy talking to a closed stall, but it works. Definitely worth a watch.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Squeal. A story about a man, a pig, and the family that keeps the guy chained up in the pigsty. Weird film. It's not horror for starters. I dunno how to describe it. It's kinda like a fairytale, I guess. A far cry from what I was expecting. It has an odd sense of humor about everything and some of it makes fuckall sense, but it was interesting. Worth watching if you're in the mood for something odd.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Day Shift. Vampire action-comedy thing akin to the Blade films. Fun film with surprisingly in depth world building. The ending even has a nod to The Lost Boys, which is great. Don't expect horror, but it's worth a watch.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Heh, I just finished watching Day Shift not too long ago too. I had fun, and was impressed with the amount of actual stunts and use of contortionists.

Plus vampire-stake nunchucks!
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Who Invited Them. A couple moves into a new house and throws a house warming party. After everyone leaves they find a couple still there that neither of them knows that are claiming to be the neighbors. Mostly suspense with them setting up for some home invader shit, but it doesn't pay off. Very disappointing. It's fairly short at just around eighty minutes, but it includes a side plot that entirely too long for what it delivers. It's a well-made snoozefest.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

The Invitation ............................ B-

Pretty decent vampire movie. Well written and acted, but lacking with a cinematographer that doesn't know where to focus or frame. It also shows signs of reshoots and skimping on clearly bloodier scenes, cutting down to a PG 13 rating. The ending feels very tacked on and unnecessary (again, probably something added later). Didn't feel I wasted $3 at the theatre lol.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Samaritan. Sylvester Stallone in a superhero film. The twist is kinda obvious from the opening narration, but it wasn't important. This is an "annoying kid with a superhero" film, so don't expect something flashy like marvel or dark like Batman. Despite the kid's best efforts, I still found it enjoyable. Worth a watch.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:52 pm Samaritan. Sylvester Stallone in a superhero film. The twist is kinda obvious from the opening narration, but it wasn't important. This is an "annoying kid with a superhero" film, so don't expect something flashy like marvel or dark like Batman. Despite the kid's best efforts, I still found it enjoyable. Worth a watch.
I couldn't stand the kid :puke:
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin ................... B

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The cinematography is great for found footage, I was intrigued by the plot and the characters, the mystery unfolding kept my attention, and that climax was pretty wild. Didn't really connect with the other movies, which I guess could explain the mudslinging from fans, but I thought this was a fresh entry. Definitely less of a funhouse horror flick with jumpscares constantly, and more of a tense mystery unraveling until shit hits the fan. It's definitely above 3,4, and 6 for me. Probably over 2 and Marked ones as well, but that could be the freshness talking.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:00 pm Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin ................... B

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The cinematography is great for found footage, I was intrigued by the plot and the characters, the mystery unfolding kept my attention, and that climax was pretty wild. Didn't really connect with the other movies, which I guess could explain the mudslinging from fans, but I thought this was a fresh entry. Definitely less of a funhouse horror flick with jumpscares constantly, and more of a tense mystery unraveling until shit hits the fan. It's definitely above 3,4, and 6 for me. Probably over 2 and Marked ones as well, but that could be the freshness talking.
Holy fuckballs! There are eight of these films? Why?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Unless there's one I'm not aware of, Next of Kin was 7th.

The answer was money. Though there are diminishing returns, they still brought in bucks.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I do find it funny I managed to watch two horror films this weekend that both have the set up of "girl is finding her familial roots, bad shit happens" lol.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:39 pm Unless there's one I'm not aware of, Next of Kin was 7th.

The answer was money. Though there are diminishing returns, they still brought in bucks.
I googled it. Apparently the eighth is coming out next year. I didn't pay attention to the release dates.
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:40 pm I do find it funny I managed to watch two horror films this weekend that both have the set up of "girl is finding her familial roots, bad shit happens" lol.
I've noticed quite a few of those in the past couple years. Probably one of those things where an idea gets passed around alot.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Huh. I wonder if Blum has anything to do with the 8th because he sounded like he didn't want to be involved anymore after the disappointment of the new one.