October 13th 2019

The daily chat room.
zombie
Administrator

Re: October 13th 2019

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Or were we sticking with post-2010?
that's where it started, but we can move the line. let the convo expand.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:See, Headward is getting it. Hell, where are the movies I can just go "fuck yeah" after watching? Did that with John Wick, not too many lately.
will people remember john wick? is john wick a great, memorable, and culturally relevant film? and does it even have to be, for you take something from it? even if everyone else, in general, could care less about it, would that change what you get out of it, yourself?
The simplicity of "badass avenges dog's death and shoots 100 people in the head" will go a long way. John Wick is firmly in the lexicon now and will have some lasting power.
amelie has lasting power. suggest it to reign for a group sesh among his friends? :P
I assumed we were accounting for individual taste. Or else, what's the point.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I was thinking 2010s. There's a 2007-2010 sweet spot of great, memorable films.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:See, Headward is getting it. Hell, where are the movies I can just go "fuck yeah" after watching? Did that with John Wick, not too many lately.
will people remember john wick? is john wick a great, memorable, and culturally relevant film? and does it even have to be, for you take something from it? even if everyone else, in general, could care less about it, would that change what you get out of it, yourself?
The simplicity of "badass avenges dog's death and shoots 100 people in the head" will go a long way. John Wick is firmly in the lexicon now and will have some lasting power.
amelie has lasting power. suggest it to reign for a group sesh among his friends? :P
i was shot down because of my individual taste. *shrug* carry on.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
i was shot down because of my individual taste. *shrug* carry on.
Well, it was Reign who was feeling jaded and brought it up so I'm guessing the original discussion was shaped around his tastes. But I didn't read every post.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I am glad I never got to see The Shape of Water, I guess.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

My top 10 of the 2010's goes:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Inception
3. I Saw The Devil
4. Skyfall
5. Dunkirk
6. Mandy
7. It
8. Logan
9. Train to Busan
10. Guardians of the Galaxy
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Yes, yes, no, no.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Yes, yes, no, no.
good. "memorable" ebbs and flows. popular cultural opinion holds some things to be better than they are, or worse sometimes. better to be your own judge, and either people will appreciate your tastes or they won't. but they're still yours, regardless.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Yes, yes, no, no.
good. "memorable" ebbs and flows. popular cultural opinion holds some things to be better than they are, or worse sometimes. better to be your own judge, and either people will appreciate your tastes or they won't. but they're still yours, regardless.
I’m very confused by this post.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Yes, yes, no, no.
I’m very confused by this post.
i get that a lot. sorry. i;ll go back to the horror films . :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
that's where it started, but we can move the line. let the convo expand.
Alright, here's the pepsi challenge. I did this once for fun, but take it as far as you like, and even I found the results weren't as jaded as I thought.

Hit up Box Office Mojo and look at the top 20 grossing movies in 10 year increments i.e. 1981, 1991, 2001, 2011 or 1988, 1998, 2008, 2018. That gives you a sampling of 80 flicks. Of those pick your top 10 favorites/must haves/deserted island flicks, whatever criteria you want. Share your results and reflect.

So for shits and gigs I did the year greatness was born, 83, 93, 03, 13. Turns out greatness was born in 83, just not at the multiplex (did they have those then?). Here's my top 10

1. Tombstone
2. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
3. Scarface
4. Demolition Man
5. Cliffhanger
6. Jurassic Park
7. Mrs Doubtfire
8. Trading Places
9. Bad Boys 2
10. The Conjuring

Okay, this batch just so happens to heavily skew, piss.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The 2's bout to fuck that shit up.

Conan the Barbarian
A Few Good Men
Wayne's World
Unforgiven
White Men Can't Jump
Catch me if You Can
Skyfall
Ted
The Dark Knight Rises
Django Unchained
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

See and you're leaving some serious shit off your board there, but it's not your 12's I'd want to bleed from really.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Is anything topping the 4’s?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

okay, i'll start 1988. (cause dream master is the first film i remember seeing theatrically) so 88, 98, 08, 18.

who framed roger rabbit
die hard
beetlejuice
a nightmare on elm street 4: dream master
saving private ryan
the dark knight
iron man
wall-e
avengers: infinity war
a quiet place

i skewed heavy on 88, with the first four coming from that year. :P i don't know what it proves other than i'm not in sync with the most of other moviegoers lately. *shrug*
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

No Willow or Land Before Time, huh?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:No Willow or Land Before Time, huh?
you said only ten.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I know your fandom for them. I didn't know it was such for a quiet place or saving private ryan... both of which will brighten your heart on those lonely nights on the island, I'm sure.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

you don't have to try to force me to share your point of view. i'm not gonna be one of the cool movie kids, clearly. :P