Exploiting tragedy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Exploiting tragedy

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Not advocating that. Like anything, in the right context it is fine.

If you are watching knee replacement surgeries on youtube because you are a medical student and want to learn, it is a lot different than sniffing glue and jerking off to it.

I watched horror movies with my grandparents and family as a young child. There were limits and things were put into perspective.
i don't know what you want to see done or changed...

how do you perceive my relationship with horror to be?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Liberals, defend this:

News media (CNN of course) asked a student who shielded classmates from gunfire to write a speech and questions for when they came to the school. When his speech and questions were pro-gun, they sent him back a scripted list of questions to ask CNN. He refused to attend.

zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Liberals, defend this:

News media (CNN of course) asked a student who shielded classmates from gunfire to write a speech and questions for when they came to the school. When his speech and questions were pro-gun, they sent him back a scripted list of questions to ask CNN. He refused to attend.

if fox news or someone invited him on to ask those questions, they may win a lot of points? if some other liberal leaning news source did the same, they would look pretty good. i don't know what else to say about this.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

If you are watching knee replacement surgeries on youtube because you are a medical student and want to learn, it is a lot different than sniffing glue and jerking off to it.

I watched horror movies with my grandparents and family as a young child. There were limits and things were put into perspective.

Look at it like soda or candy. I don't want changes to them. I don't want them taxed or restricted to adults or to children with parental consent. I am advocating a bigger societal change that focuses on personal responsibility and perspective.

No idea. If you are happy and healthy emotionally and otherwise, I am sure it is fine. If not and it is consuming much of your time, maybe you should re-evaluate your consumption. Like candy, if you are otherwise healthy, eat the Skittles. If you are 400 pounds and miserable, eat walnuts or egg whites and see how that makes you feel.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

Look at it like soda or candy. I don't want changes to them. I don't want them taxed or restricted to adults or to children with parental consent. I am advocating a bigger societal change that focuses on personal responsibility and perspective.

No idea. If you are happy and healthy emotionally and otherwise, I am sure it is fine. If not and it is consuming much of your time, maybe you should re-evaluate your consumption. Like candy, if you are otherwise healthy, eat the Skittles. If you are 400 pounds and miserable, eat walnuts or egg whites and see how that makes you feel.
cool. personal responsibility should not come with scapegoating media or pills or the like, as you've done throughout the thread though.

okay. thanks for the sermon. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

cool. personal responsibility should not come with scapegoating media or pills or the like, as you've done throughout the thread though.

It is not the pills, it is the people taking the pills fucking up their brains. Or even worse, giving such things to children instead of putting in the work as a parent.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

It is not the pills, it is the people taking the pills fucking up their brains. Or even worse, giving such things to children instead of putting in the work as a parent.
agreed. they should have more time to be a parent for their child or children. that could go a long way.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

agreed. they should have more time to be a parent for their child or children. that could go a long way.
Might have to stay out of the bars, not see their 15th favorite band, or step away from binge watching 20 hours of Netflix in a weekend.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:Might have to stay out of the bars, not see their 15th favorite band, or step away from binge watching 20 hours of Netflix in a weekend.
you clearly have had a different experience than i've had, with parents and their lack of time for family.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:Might have to stay out of the bars, not see their 15th favorite band, or step away from binge watching 20 hours of Netflix in a weekend.
you clearly have had a different experience than i've had, with parents and their lack of time for family.
It's not because most of them are working. Shitty fucked up kids usually have the parents with loads of free time who choose to spend it selfishly on entertainment, not actually supporting the family. Kids know the difference between mommy and daddy working and mommy and daddy getting high and not giving a shit.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

I mean, if there is one thing we know, it is that welfare queens never produce children with behavioral problems, and dual income households with mom and dad both having careers never produces kids who attend college!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
It's not because most of them are working. Shitty fucked up kids usually have the parents with loads of free time who choose to spend it selfishly on entertainment, not actually supporting the family. Kids know the difference between mommy and daddy working and mommy and daddy getting high and not giving a shit.
you want parents that support the family. you don't parents that raise the family. it's fair but it's not good for the family. there are worse things but don't pretend that it doesn't cause problems.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
you want parents that support the family. you don't parents that raise the family. it's fair but it's not good for the family. there are worse things but don't pretend that it doesn't cause problems.
What do you want, barefoot and pregnant women? Children in homes with working parents have far better outcomes than children in homes with unemployed parents.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
What do you want, barefoot and pregnant women? Children in homes with working parents have far better outcomes than children in homes with unemployed parents.
agreed, i never said unemployed. if you have to twist what i'm saying to justify your position, maybe look harder at your position.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

I mean, personally, my opinion on this issue is pretty much:

Ban legal ownership of guns to anyone convicted of a sex crime, robbery, murder, domestic violence, child abuse, manslaughter, animal cruelty, or any other crime that is considered violent. Anyone with such a prior conviction who gets caught in possession of a gun is given a mandatory life sentence in a prison designed around hard manual labor for inmates.

Stop releasing violent criminals in favor of keeping lesser criminals in jail, that's just idiocy. The only time a criminal convicted of a violent crime should be released is when their entire sentence is up.

A national database of such offenders so they can't cross state lines to get access. Include any convictions that resulted in being found incompetent to stand trial or being declared legally insane.

Have a serial number etched into the gun in an inaccessible location during manufacturing (accessing it after manufacturing should render the gun useless) in order to make guns more easily traceable and less likely to end up on the black market in the future.

If the gun can be traced back to a previous owner/seller guess who gets to join the ex-con in jail for selling to someone not legally allowed to own a gun? (Short of a police report indicating the gun was missing/stolen dated within two days of the gun going missing, "It was stolen" will not be a get out of jail card, if they sold it to someone else, they'd better hope they have a receipt and proof that they checked the buyer out on the national database to cover their ass. your gun, your responsibility to know where it is at all times and who has access to it.)

Initial use and understanding test of firearms that grants class licenses for owning and operating particular firearms on a national basis (like a driver's license for guns with different class access as the gun gets more powerful/deadly without restrictions on how far up the line you can go but is limited only to handheld weaponry, like rifles (including fully automatic even though there's no logical reason to own a fully automatic rifle), shotguns, handguns, etc ) as well as renewing the license every so often to prove continued competence with the firearm under the supervision of a professional trained to catch signs of mental health decline in addition to weapon expertise. Mandatory inspections of your firearms during the renewal process to ensure your weapons are in working order and well cared for.

If your gun is used in a crime and you don't have a paper trail showing it was sold to another person legally, or a police report saying it was stolen, you are on the hook for whatever crime was committed. Again, your gun, your responsibility to know where it is at all times, ignorance is not a defense.

Teachers with classrooms near exits should be armed, tell absolutely no one that this is part of the safety protocol. Yearly training for these teachers to respond to a crisis situation safely and effectively and how to most efficiently take out an active shooter. Training for any willing teachers, up to three per school, in emergency medicine to try to minimize casualties should an event happen.

I may have a bit of a dystopian view of things, but I'm fairly confident legalizing illicit drugs will take care of the majority of these problems within a decade or two.

I'd also like to stop the whole treating criminals humanely thing. It's a waste of resources and removes every incentive to avoid committing crimes. I'm fine with treating non-violent criminals with a certain level of humanity, but they should not have access to better care than the average person, that's ridiculous.

I'm not entirely sure what side of the aisle these views would put me on, but I'm pretty sure most people on both sides would hate them :P
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Half I’m ok with half I’m against in that post. So I guess you’re in a halfway house.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

showa58taro wrote:Half I’m ok with half I’m against in that post. So I guess you’re in a halfway house.

that sounds about right :P
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
agreed, i never said unemployed. if you have to twist what i'm saying to justify your position, maybe look harder at your position.
You would have to take a position for me to twist it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:You would have to take a position for me to twist it.
i have. clearly stated that i think the root of those problems you brought up is, in large part, due to treating people like commodity or resource. if we act like people, instead of machines, it's inconvenient. etc. but you're gonna twist it again, the same way you did last time. :P
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Soooooooo.......our two high school kids got to stay home today. An anonymous Facebook profile has threatened to shoot up multiple schools in our area. 7 area schools have closed here in central Ohio. What the fuck. Punishment better be fucking harsh.