The texting suicide thingy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: The texting suicide thingy

Post by Foo »

Really, you have the parents in this case now filing lawsuits against the girl. No doubt they were also pushing for prosecution.

Is this them feeling guilty and wanting to shift blame? I think we need to be careful when we start pointing fingers at others for a person's decision, especially when they played some role in this boys psyche and he tried to kill himself before ever meeting her.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:I love this new found era of zero personal responsibility! I can fuck shit up six ways from sideways, now I just gotta decide is it was God or my dog that told me to. :!:
Snowflake Era
this is the best post in this whole thread. if you see fault in someone who actively sets out to push a person to kill himself, you're a fucking snowflake. :P
The snowflake part is where others are blamed rather than the individual committing the act.

When someone engages in an act, any act, and they are fully aware of the consequences they are responsible.
they're responsible, but are you not at all responsible too, if you push them to it? he was depressed and potentially suicidal clearly. she knew that and she set out to push him into killing himself, because she wanted attention.
Is it my responsibility to alter my behavior because of another's mental state?

Is this going down the path of, "yeah, I hit her, but it's ok because I was having a bad day and she knew it! She doesn't know when to stop nagging me. Football was on bitch. Just leave me alone!"
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: Is it my responsibility to alter my behavior because of another's mental state?

Is this going down the path of, "yeah, I hit her, but it's ok because I was having a bad day and she knew it! She doesn't know when to stop nagging me. Football was on bitch. Just leave me alone!"
she did alter her behavior because of someone's mental state. unless she'd done this, or tried to do this, to someone else?

i don't even know how you're conflating the two together...
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

We have seen music, books, movies, etc all be blamed for actions of others. Speech, from suicide manuals to bomb making books to racial supremacy manuals advocating extermination of other races have all passed the first amendment test.

Are we gonna start changing this now?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

not arguing against her right to say the words.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote: Is it my responsibility to alter my behavior because of another's mental state?

she did alter her behavior because of someone's mental state. unless she'd done this, or tried to do this, to someone else?

Again, is it my responsibility to alter my behavior because of the mental state of another?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:not arguing against her right to say the words.
Does she deserve any criminal punishment for those words?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

if someone yells fire in a crowded place, would you be punishing them for saying the word "fire"? no. so don't make this out to be punishing her right to free speech either. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

Again, is it my responsibility to alter my behavior because of the mental state of another?
no. so she had every right to push him to kill himself, and shame on me for thinking badly of her.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
not for the words, and no current law is a good fit, in my opinion.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:if someone yells fire in a crowded place, would you be punishing them for saying the word "fire"? no. so don't make this out to be punishing her right to free speech either. :P
Why do you think yelling fire in a theater is illegal?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
So you agree:

- she probably broke no law
- she should not be criminally punished
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:if someone yells fire in a crowded place, would you be punishing them for saying the word "fire"? no. so don't make this out to be punishing her right to free speech either. :P
because it potentially creates a frenzy of people trying to escape the fire, and so harming themselves and others.

it's no more an effort for censorship than punishing the girl for knowingly using her words to cause someone's death. you're the one trying to make a flimsy argument in her defense.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
So you agree:

- she probably broke no law
- she should not be criminally punished
yes and i've said all of that prior to this post. let's continue to beat that dead horse though.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
because it potentially creates a frenzy of people trying to escape the fire, and so harming themselves and others.

it's no more an effort for censorship than punishing the girl for knowingly using her words to cause someone's death. you're the one trying to make a flimsy argument in her defense.
Yelling fire creates a situation where others rights are impacted. In this situation, the boy maintained all his rights and died at his own choosing.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

Yelling fire creates a situation where others rights are impacted. In this situation, the boy maintained all his rights and died at his own choosing.
fair enough. she was doling out vigilante justice. one less snowflake in the world! go ahead and congratulate her for the good deed done.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

fair enough. she was doling out vigilante justice. one less snowflake in the world! go ahead and congratulate her for the good deed done.
She didn't dole out anything. She is a horrible person with her own mental health issues who got hooked up with a guy who had issues. They talked, she encouraged him to kill himself. He killed himself.

It is a horrible tragedy. Every tragedy is not a crime, though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

She didn't dole out anything. She is a horrible person with her own mental health issues who got hooked up with a guy who had issues. They talked, she encouraged him to kill himself. He killed himself.

It is a horrible tragedy. Every tragedy is not a crime, though.
she's a horrible person, and there is no current law that fits well with what she did. i guess that's all we're gonna agree on.