Current Pro Wrestling Discussion

All sports. We don't even mind if its women's Curling or junior badminton. Although we won't have strong opinions on the latter.
Forum rules
There are no refs here.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Current Pro Wrestling Discussion

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:It just feels weak to me, from what I've seen. But I was spoiled as a wrestling fan, and only watched religiously for almost 10 straight years during the golden era of the Monday Night Wars, Attitude era etc... Most of the shit now is just cringey as hell. Enzo and Cass is like WWE's own "Try Not to Cringe" challenge. And I lose every time. The crowd is too involved to the point where I feel like the show is about them, sometimes. The New Day are apparently the hottest tag team in wrestling by far, and their trumpet shit just gets on my nerves. Like a college football game when the band plays that deafening marching band shit after every play. Just stahp.

Alexa Bliss knows how to rock the mic, and she is my current favorite in the entire roster, but they are pushing Ronald so fucking hard that I can't even watch that portion now. As far as Roman, when he worked that crowd for like 8 minutes straight without saying a word, getting boo'd to shit, and saying "This is my yard now" was one of the best things I've seen in wrestling. That triggered crowd all did the collective Miz Girl imitation. It was beautiful.
It is 100% about making the crowd happy. That is entertainment in general now, though.

People need to see every guy do all their spots. Every feud has the same basic formula at different levels of the card. They all need to get all their theme songs and catch phrases in.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:
Jason wrote:It just feels weak to me, from what I've seen. But I was spoiled as a wrestling fan, and only watched religiously for almost 10 straight years during the golden era of the Monday Night Wars, Attitude era etc... Most of the shit now is just cringey as hell. Enzo and Cass is like WWE's own "Try Not to Cringe" challenge. And I lose every time. The crowd is too involved to the point where I feel like the show is about them, sometimes. The New Day are apparently the hottest tag team in wrestling by far, and their trumpet shit just gets on my nerves. Like a college football game when the band plays that deafening marching band shit after every play. Just stahp.

Alexa Bliss knows how to rock the mic, and she is my current favorite in the entire roster, but they are pushing Ronald so fucking hard that I can't even watch that portion now. As far as Roman, when he worked that crowd for like 8 minutes straight without saying a word, getting boo'd to shit, and saying "This is my yard now" was one of the best things I've seen in wrestling. That triggered crowd all did the collective Miz Girl imitation. It was beautiful.
It is 100% about making the crowd happy. That is entertainment in general now, though.

People need to see every guy do all their spots. Every feud has the same basic formula at different levels of the card. They all need to get all their theme songs and catch phrases in.
Yeah, but 0.001% of the crowd makes up the entire audience. Listening to the crowd bust out into chants is fine and can benefit the show, but every 20 seconds is just too much. Just about every chant in wrestling today has lost its value because they do it so frequently. I feel like they need to just enjoy the show and stop making it about them. "This. is. Awesome!" "We. Are. Awesome!" "Waht?!"

Give it a rest and talk shit to the wrestler once a promo, tops. Imagine how many historically awesome mic moments in wrestling would be ruined by today's crowd.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:

Yeah, but 0.001% of the crowd makes up the entire audience. Listening to the crowd bust out into chants is fine and can benefit the show, but every 20 seconds is just too much. Just about every chant in wrestling today has lost its value because they do it so frequently. I feel like they need to just enjoy the show and stop making it about them. "This. is. Awesome!" "We. Are. Awesome!" "Waht?!"

Give it a rest and talk shit to the wrestler once a promo, tops. Imagine how many historically awesome mic moments in wrestling would be ruined by today's crowd.
Kayfabe is dead. The WWE is raking in record profits from TV, sponsorships, the network, and continues to expand as a global brand.

I don't like it, because I am a fan of "Rasslin" but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Two fat hillbillies pretending to be and African headhunter and a rock star cutting their own foreheads, squirting blood everywhere, while they snatch hold of an arm for 15 minutes is my idea of entertainment, but obviously the modern audiences differ.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:Two fat hillbillies pretending to be and African headhunter and a rock star cutting their own foreheads, squirting blood everywhere, while they snatch hold of an arm for 15 minutes is my idea of entertainment, but obviously the modern audiences differ.
Who would want to continue living in a world where the majority of wrestling fans don't prefer this? :p
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Swerve!

Cancer is a work.

*Heel Roman Superman punches a make-a-wish kid into next week!*

(This would not even make the top 100 most tasteless things in wrestling history. Bring it!)
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:(This would not even make the top 100 most tasteless things in wrestling history. Bring it!)
lol. It really wouldn't.

Mae Young with a broken freakin' neck getting powerbombed through a table comes to mind.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
Foo wrote:(This would not even make the top 100 most tasteless things in wrestling history. Bring it!)
lol. It really wouldn't.

Mae Young with a broken freakin' neck getting powerbombed through a table comes to mind.
- Mae Young giving a bronco buster with a dead fish in her panties
- Mae Young having sex with Mark Henry
- Mae Young giving birth to a hand
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Stop making me yearn for the good ol' days!
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Triple H, first entrance with The Game theme. GOD DAMN Stephanie was so hot back then.

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

This is Sparta?
Thank you, Sparky?

Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Broken face Becky, will kick your ass and break your arm.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I think heel Becky is my new favorite. Definitely good for business.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Too bad they ruin all momentum by having her out because of a broken nose. Can't play a bad ass and then not compete because of cosmetic bullshit. I broke my nose playing football and missed like two plays because I couldn't see and the blood made me puke. An unfixed crooked nose would fit the new character.

BTW, did they give her new music yet? She can;t keep coming out to the old theme.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Foo wrote:Too bad they ruin all momentum by having her out because of a broken nose. Can't play a bad ass and then not compete because of cosmetic bullshit. I broke my nose playing football and missed like two plays because I couldn't see and the blood made me puke. An unfixed crooked nose would fit the new character.

BTW, did they give her new music yet? She can;t keep coming out to the old theme.
Becky is also suffering from a concussion, so it's not just a broken nose keeping her off the card.

Theme is still the same and there's no reason to change it since she isn't a heel.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Here you go Jason, I know you'll use this eventually.

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I'll just come right out and say it. Her and Becky need to make out.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Thought the Dean Ambrose as Bane thing was going swimmingly, until he started to do old heel schtick about the town.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:Thought the Dean Ambrose as Bane thing was going swimmingly, until he started to do old heel schtick about the town.
Agreed, started off cool, ended not so much.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

So is 2000 the greatest year ever for wrestling?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote:So is 2000 the greatest year ever for wrestling?
Definitely up there overall, but I was at WrestleMania 2000 aka 16 and it's easily regarded as one of the worst (as being there I think some are harsher on it, but definitely bottom end), so IDK.