Liberal Plot to Destroy Small Business

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Liberal Plot to Destroy Small Business

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:there is one bit of not greediness info that i found interesting though. apparently, ray asked walt disney to include a mcdonalds in his california park, but then backed out cause disney wanted to sell the fries for a higher price and kroc didn't wanna gouge his customers with that. so yeah, no mcdonalds in disneyland when it opened. :P
Have you ever considered starting a business?
no, not seriously. and now, you can tell me how that makes my views and opinions here invalid or irrelevant or something. :P
Don't be hateful. I was going to walk you down a line of questioning about when profit becomes greed.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:I debated opening a movie theater to show older movies. Maybe a dozen screens, one movie per screen, and a new rotation every two weeks or so, with DVDs available for purchase of the movies that were shown. That dream was quickly shattered when it became apparent that it wasn't possible. :p
Last year Crave did the opening for a Drive in theater. It did not work out for those people in part because they were a special kind of stupid. When they were selling everything off, I contemplated buying it. In fact, I reached out to Wil to see if he was interested in running it and he never got back to me. :(
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:there is one bit of not greediness info that i found interesting though. apparently, ray asked walt disney to include a mcdonalds in his california park, but then backed out cause disney wanted to sell the fries for a higher price and kroc didn't wanna gouge his customers with that. so yeah, no mcdonalds in disneyland when it opened. :P
no, not seriously. and now, you can tell me how that makes my views and opinions here invalid or irrelevant or something. :P
Don't be hateful. I was going to walk you down a line of questioning about when profit becomes greed.
not hateful. just feel like you pretty clearly don't have a very high opinion of me.

let me have it?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Jason wrote:I debated opening a movie theater to show older movies. Maybe a dozen screens, one movie per screen, and a new rotation every two weeks or so, with DVDs available for purchase of the movies that were shown. That dream was quickly shattered when it became apparent that it wasn't possible. :p
Last year Crave did the opening for a Drive in theater. It did not work out for those people in part because they were a special kind of stupid. When they were selling everything off, I contemplated buying it. In fact, I reached out to Wil to see if he was interested in running it and he never got back to me. :(
what do you mean? just didn't market well or what? it would have been cool to have a crave-in. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
not hateful. just feel like you pretty clearly don't have a very high opinion of me.

let me have it?
That is not true at all. You are like family to me. One thing to understand about the way I operate is that I only engage with people who I feel are worth my time. Every now and then someone will attempt to challenge me on something and an employee will ask if I am going to talk to them and they get either the "they are like an ant in the afterbirth" line or called a termite. Do you ever notice I do not argue with Laz?

Nah, because it requires a legitimate interest. If it is 100% hypothetical, the "right" answers are too easy.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

let me have it?
That is not true at all. You are like family to me. One thing to understand about the way I operate is that I only engage with people who I feel are worth my time. Every now and then someone will attempt to challenge me on something and an employee will ask if I am going to talk to them and they get either the "they are like an ant in the afterbirth" line or called a termite. Do you ever notice I do not argue with Laz?

Nah, because it requires a legitimate interest. If it is 100% hypothetical, the "right" answers are too easy.
i've seen you discuss things with him in the past. but i haven't seen him around in a long time. is he on your friends list somewhere or something?

fair enough. i don't think that making a profit or earning a living in itself is greed though. i don't think that anyone who is successful is greedy.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
what do you mean? just didn't market well or what? it would have been cool to have a crave-in. :P
They were just a bunch of screw ups. Failure of both ideas and execution. The shame was that people were excited just by the premise.

Even after it was going bad for them, I reached out with a suggestion that we work cooperatively to reach the right audience and leverage Crave's social media. I suggested that because they could not get first run movies, they refocus on movies with a following rather than those just out on DVD. Offered to help create an outdoor VIP dining area and make movie specific menus.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

let me have it?

i've seen you discuss things with him in the past. but i haven't seen him around in a long time. is he on your friends list somewhere or something?

fair enough. i don't think that making a profit or earning a living in itself is greed though. i don't think that anyone who is successful is greedy.
I have not talked to him in awhile. Last I heard he was working on movie events in Philly. Like having coffee shops play Puppetmaster movies and such.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Foo wrote:
I always thought it would be cool. One of my bands, our singer owns her own cleaning business, keyboard guy owns his own construction business. A really good friend of ours had her own restaurant/sports bar here in town. We don't talk much about their businesses though. If I were to start up a business, I would be like you and get back into the food industry. I really loved the work, just didn't like the companies I worked for.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
They were just a bunch of screw ups. Failure of both ideas and execution. The shame was that people were excited just by the premise.

Even after it was going bad for them, I reached out with a suggestion that we work cooperatively to reach the right audience and leverage Crave's social media. I suggested that because they could not get first run movies, they refocus on movies with a following rather than those just out on DVD. Offered to help create an outdoor VIP dining area and make movie specific menus.
that seems like it would have been pretty cool. ginger snaps at the crave! :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:"Was Ray Kroc really doing all the franchising work while the McDonald brothers sat back and collected the profits?

Yes. Ray was so eager to see the restaurant expand, he had made a hasty deal with the brothers. As Ray sold the franchises, the brothers made a lot of money for doing nothing. Like in The Founder movie, Ray met Harry Sonneborn (played by B.J. Novak), a financial expert who showed him another way of making money off the deal that would not involve selling hamburgers (BBC McDonald's Documentary). It involved creating a real estate company that would buy up (or lease) the land on which all McDonald's would be located. Then, franchisees would pay Kroc a monthly rental fee for the land or a percentage of their sales, whichever was greater. Kroc started the Franchise Realty Corporation in order to execute the plan. -Ray Kroc: The Vision that Revolutionized the World."

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/founder/

could be false, still. will do further reading.
This is true.
you made a case that i was stupid
What the fuck is going on here? I will kill him! :twisted:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

let me have it?

I have not talked to him in awhile. Last I heard he was working on movie events in Philly. Like having coffee shops play Puppetmaster movies and such.
with a tv, like a bar would do sports events or a big theater screen?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:"Was Ray Kroc really doing all the franchising work while the McDonald brothers sat back and collected the profits?

Yes. Ray was so eager to see the restaurant expand, he had made a hasty deal with the brothers. As Ray sold the franchises, the brothers made a lot of money for doing nothing. Like in The Founder movie, Ray met Harry Sonneborn (played by B.J. Novak), a financial expert who showed him another way of making money off the deal that would not involve selling hamburgers (BBC McDonald's Documentary). It involved creating a real estate company that would buy up (or lease) the land on which all McDonald's would be located. Then, franchisees would pay Kroc a monthly rental fee for the land or a percentage of their sales, whichever was greater. Kroc started the Franchise Realty Corporation in order to execute the plan. -Ray Kroc: The Vision that Revolutionized the World."

This is true.
it was probably unintentional in the heat of debate.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

This is true.
it was probably unintentional in the heat of debate.
I don't care. Foo knows of family. He will have to go without his balls for his honeymoon. :arrow:
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

let me have it?

with a tv, like a bar would do sports events or a big theater screen?
Knowing Wil anything is possible, including stealing one of those TV carts that schools would use to distract kids while substitute teachers were there. I am fairly certain it was projected onto a small screen, however.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

is this about dvd on the way out? :P

i do wish there were more drive ins around, still.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Knowing Wil anything is possible, including stealing one of those TV carts that schools would use to distract kids while substitute teachers were there. I am fairly certain it was projected onto a small screen, however.
wil and laz were gonna do it together, or did wires get crossed someplace?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
I have no idea. I was not even aware they know each other beyond maybe passing by each other here.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

by the way, I ran the inflation adjuster and the McDonald's brothers were paid over $22M in today's money for their name and concept. They kept their restaurant.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
I have no idea. I was not even aware they know each other beyond maybe passing by each other here.
hmm.. okay. i think wires just must have gotten crossed, between different convos. no worries.