The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread 2018

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

zombie wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Watching A Nightmare On Elm Street

Common criticism I hear about part 2: Freddy doesn't effect the real world! What I witness in the first movie: Freddy effecting the real world by hanging Rod with the bedsheet.
he affected the real world pretty often in the first. more blatant in the sequel, but it was there.
I can see the criticisms from homophobes (I think the gay undertones add to the movie, brilliantly exploitive), or those that didn't like the climax of "love conquers all" crap, but stuff like trying to adhere to rules that aren't really in place until the 3rd movie is pretty stupid, imo.
freddy's revenge is almost my least favorite of the englund movies, but at least criticize it accurately. :P
lol
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Watching Freddy's Revenge now.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Reign in Blood wrote:

Common criticism I hear about part 2: Freddy doesn't effect the real world! What I witness in the first movie: Freddy effecting the real world by hanging Rod with the bedsheet.
Who says that and where can I beat them?
It's just something I've commonly heard over the years to denounce part 2, and even a reason Craven came back for 3.

The coach's death is really no different than Rod's other than there being a witness, when you think about the supernatural rules of it.

Another example:

Freddy doesn't come in the real world! (regarding the pool party scene).

First movie: Nancy pulls him into the real world for the climax showdown.

Both films play with the real-world-event like it was nothing in the end too (like it may never have happened).
Coming into the real world is stupid enough, but the Rod bedsheet death criticism makes zero sense. The whole point is if you get killed by him in your dreams, you die in real life. How is Rod's any different from Tina's (Rod was a witness), Glen's etc? Jennifer is put through the TV in part 3, how is she found in real life?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

It's just something I've commonly heard over the years to denounce part 2, and even a reason Craven came back for 3.

The coach's death is really no different than Rod's other than there being a witness, when you think about the supernatural rules of it.

Another example:

Both films play with the real-world-event like it was nothing in the end too (like it may never have happened).
Coming into the real world is stupid enough, but the Rod bedsheet death criticism makes zero sense. The whole point is if you get killed by him in your dreams, you die in real life. How is Rod's any different from Tina's (Rod was a witness), Glen's etc? Jennifer is put through the TV in part 3, how is she found in real life?
i think part 4 is the first where he doesn't affect the real world, outside of the kids dying obviously. but it's not like they do in the dreams. it's more seemingly mundane accidental stuff.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

Another example:

i think part 4 is the first where he doesn't affect the real world, outside of the kids dying obviously. but it's not like they do in the dreams. it's more seemingly mundane accidental stuff.
Maybe that was just Freddy getting smarter in covering his tracks, gosh!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

Another example:

Maybe that was just Freddy getting smarter in covering his tracks, gosh!
enh. if you got it, flaunt it! :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Never heard Rod's death criticized, I just used it as an example of defending other ones that was like Rod's, where something physically in the real world is effecting his body, with something invisible doing it. I imagine that's how Jennifer's would've looked had someone peaked in during it, or even the puppet guy who I can't remember the name of (where there's lots of witnesses and he's being controlled by an invisible force). Seeing 2 criticized for doing it when others do it is pretty lame, imo. I think it's even mentioned in the Never Sleep Again documentary, among their disappointments with 2 with how Freddy effects the real world, and I remember Wes even commenting something similar. I don't think 2 is really as out of place in the mythology as haters claim.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

Another example:

I definitely noticed the lack of stab wounds in the real world when 4 came around.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

Another example:

I definitely noticed the lack of stab wounds in the real world when 4 came around.
would have been cool to see debbie all dismembered and a pile of goo on the floor. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

Another example:

would have been cool to see debbie all dismembered and a pile of goo on the floor. :P
Like folded up inside her bedframe and mattress.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'd say the haunted house style bits are more of what sets it more out of place. It's kinda like they're merging Amytville II/Ronnie DeFaeo stuff.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

There's no reason for me to believe Grady's not dreaming during his death scene. He just rolled over to go to sleep, and shit started happening. Then Jesse wakes up after.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

After his fingerprints and tracks left in Grady's room, I don't see Jesse not having a happy-ever-after this movie. Whether in Jail or in a Mental Institution, the guy will be in captivity.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Stake Land 2nd viewing
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Alli: If you were sent away, which would you rather be in - Westin Hills Sanitarium (Nightmare On Elm Street 2/Freddy Vs. Jason) or Smith's Grove (Halloween series).

Me: *thinks* Smith's Grove, because at Westin Hills they don't listen to the patients. At Smith's Grove they don't listen to the doctors.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Alli: If you were sent away, which would you rather be in - Westin Hills Sanitarium (Nightmare On Elm Street 2/Freddy Vs. Jason) or Smith's Grove (Halloween series).

Me: *thinks* Smith's Grove, because at Westin Hills they don't listen to the patients. At Smith's Grove they don't listen to the doctors.
Do you have black eyes?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Alli: If you were sent away, which would you rather be in - Westin Hills Sanitarium (Nightmare On Elm Street 2/Freddy Vs. Jason) or Smith's Grove (Halloween series).

Do you have black eyes?
I can give myself black eyes :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

That was supposed to be Nightmare 3 in the parentheses, typo just noticed, but now quoted too many times to make the effort to edit :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Now I'm running from his nightmare...