The Incheon Report

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: The Incheon Report

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:I've never questioned humans impact on the earth but this there's 12 years left to try an avoid death and destruction just seems suspect to me.
I mean it’s not that in 12 years we go from fine to everything on fire. It’s that we will already start seeing the catastrophic results, and may then be reaching the point where you can’t fix it. Because you can’t bring back coral reefs, or extinct animals, or re-develop land that’s been completely destroyed by desertification. It’s not like humans die at 2 degrees warmer. It’s that our crops yield les, more people have to die or leave areas, and more natural disasters will fuck things up.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I've never questioned humans impact on the earth but this there's 12 years left to try an avoid death and destruction just seems suspect to me.
I mean it’s not that in 12 years we go from fine to everything on fire. It’s that we will already start seeing the catastrophic results, and may then be reaching the point where you can’t fix it. Because you can’t bring back coral reefs, or extinct animals, or re-develop land that’s been completely destroyed by desertification. It’s not like humans die at 2 degrees warmer. It’s that our crops yield les, more people have to die or leave areas, and more natural disasters will fuck things up.
I understand that I do just seems anything that effects the world globally being changed in such a short period of time isn't logical
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

how do we know what is causing the environmental changes?

how do we know how far is too far?

what steps are other countries taking to halt it or to undo it?
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

showa58taro wrote:
Just tell the conservatives that the US will have more refugees coming here. That'll get 'em on board, lol.

But let's not listen to a vast majority of scientists around the globe, saying climate change is real. Lets believe it's a liberal BS to get money out of people.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Look, these con men have mouths to feed and private jets to buy today. Al Gore's 737 is getting old. He can't wait for you to get around to it.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jmac Attack wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Just tell the conservatives that the US will have more refugees coming here. That'll get 'em on board, lol.

But let's not listen to a vast majority of scientists around the globe, saying climate change is real. Lets believe it's a liberal BS to get money out of people.
Let me know when you take some meaningful steps in your own life to reduce emissions. Stop eating beef and chicken. Stop drinking sodas and bottled beverages. Stop working at a place that is an environmental disaster, etc.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:Skepticism will save your life. The left would stick their head in a fire if the media told them they could see hell.
Maybe let the grown ups talk.
Leave the thread, then.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:We all gotta die sometime, Seb. Besides, they made out of The Day After Tomorrow alright. :P

P sure we’re gonna go the Fifth Element/Jetsons route and live in the sky after we pummel mother earth and make her tap into submission.
Ideally I’d like my kids to get a chance to make it past 35 before they are faced with massive famine, disaster and death. Could be just me that has kids and so cares a bit longer term but I’d have thought that our planet staying healthy would be a global Priority. There’s basic upside too, but the reduction in disaster costs and refugee costs alone is worth taking it seriously beyond the obvious humanitarian commitment.
Jesus Christ, you can't be serious. Lmao.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I at least use environmentally friendly bio-degradable plastic utensils (even though they're teh suck and unusable for most things), J-mac does nothing!
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:I at least use environmentally friendly bio-degradable plastic utensils (even though they're teh suck and unusable for most things), J-mac does nothing!
We're gonna burn in hellfire, thanks to him.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
I understand that I do just seems anything that effects the world globally being changed in such a short period of time isn't logical
It’s already stated. Check out the coral reefs around the globe. Hell just look st the news and the strength of all these hurricanes bartering your own shores today
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:We all gotta die sometime, Seb. Besides, they made out of The Day After Tomorrow alright. :P

P sure we’re gonna go the Fifth Element/Jetsons route and live in the sky after we pummel mother earth and make her tap into submission.
Ideally I’d like my kids to get a chance to make it past 35 before they are faced with massive famine, disaster and death. Could be just me that has kids and so cares a bit longer term but I’d have thought that our planet staying healthy would be a global Priority. There’s basic upside too, but the reduction in disaster costs and refugee costs alone is worth taking it seriously beyond the obvious humanitarian commitment.
Oh it's gonna take a lot longer than that for shit to go to pot. And what I'd say, we're gonna live in the sky. It's just in our nature to fuck this joint up.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:how do we know what is causing the environmental changes?

Greenhouse gas emissions

Already too far

Change to renewable energy, carbon trading schemes, increased regulation of emission standards, and improved recycling. But that is likely not enough. Foo is right, it is not just hoping big corporations magically change things. It will require change from many people and many behaviors which are starting but not at enough speed.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Oh it's gonna take a lot longer than that for shit to go to pot. And what I'd say, we're gonna live in the sky. It's just in our nature to fuck this joint up.
It really isn’t going to take much longer though is it. Given the issues are already mounting.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:

Greenhouse gas emissions

Already too far

Change to renewable energy, carbon trading schemes, increased regulation of emission standards, and improved recycling. But that is likely not enough. Foo is right, it is not just hoping big corporations magically change things. It will require change from many people and many behaviors which are starting but not at enough speed.
none of that seems unreasonable. what has al gore taken toward this end, in his own life and with his own money? what have other big activists taken as steps in their spheres of influence?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Greenhouse gas emissions

Already too far

none of that seems unreasonable. what has al gore taken toward this end, in his own life and with his own money? what have other big activists taken as steps in their spheres of influence?
Steps in terms of personal sacrifice? I dunno, his lifestyle and finances aren’t exactly in my daily life. Does it really matter?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Greenhouse gas emissions

Already too far

Steps in terms of personal sacrifice? I dunno, his lifestyle and finances aren’t exactly in my daily life. Does it really matter?
it seems like it would show dedication if it was really as much a concern to him. but ultimately probably doesn't matter if he changes anything at all, as one individual.

you said big corporations aren't going to magically change. so it would seem to be up to individuals to change, for themselves. seems a mixed message to shut me down asking about an individual who has a big sphere of influence and is also a prominent figure in raising awareness of the problem.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Greenhouse gas emissions

Already too far

it seems like it would show dedication if it was really as much a concern to him. but ultimately probably doesn't matter if he changes anything at all, as one individual.

you said big corporations aren't going to magically change. so it would seem to be up to individuals to change, for themselves. seems a mixed message to shut me down asking about an individual who has a big sphere of influence and is also a prominent figure in raising awareness of the problem.
It changes nothing in isolation though it would set a good example. But I don’t know what he does or doesn’t do.

If the report is to be believed then everyone has to do things more or less. So it does matter. But it struck me as your question being one relating to Al Gore and hypocrisy which doesn’t matter. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

It really isn’t going to take much longer though is it. Given the issues are already mounting.
Dude, you're talking about an impending apocalypse right around the corner... come on. I'm with Tigg, we're affecting/fucking this place up, but I think you'll find that if you are lucky enough to live into old age and see your grandbabies and all that, that the vast majority of us/things are not doomsday.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote: It changes nothing in isolation though it would set a good example. But I don’t know what he does or doesn’t do.

If the report is to be believed then everyone has to do things more or less. So it does matter. But it struck me as your question being one relating to Al Gore and hypocrisy which doesn’t matter. :P
if everyone takes the approach of sticking to their lifestyle because it changes nothing in isolation, then that does have an effect and an impact. if a public figure speaks out, but then is shown to continue doing things that are supposed to be contributing to the problem, what are we to take from that?

hypocrisy does matter. saying one thing and then doing another does matter. if foo and jason saw al gore (and other public figures) making changes, do you think that could lead them to see this as potentially more of a concern than they do now?