October 13th 2019

The daily chat room.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Re: October 13th 2019

Post by Jmac Attack »

Contracted was great. I felt so sorry for the main chick.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I didn't realize the duo that gave us Starry Eyes, another well directed recent horror movie, botched the Pet Sematary remake. Yikes.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I do like what Jordan Peele's doing, in spite of his unpopularity here.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I still think a few guys can hold my attention as directors. Tarantino still does some excellent work.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:I still think a few guys can hold my attention as directors. Tarantino still does some excellent work.
The topic was new horror directors though, I think Zombie implied post-2010.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I still think a few guys can hold my attention as directors. Tarantino still does some excellent work.
The topic was new horror directors though, I think Zombie implied post-2010.
Ah. At which point I can only hope Takashi Miike does more horror. :D though actually I really like his Japanese historic epic films.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

El Camino kicked ass.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:I wouldn't single out horror. I'm just not finding much of the recent stuff making an impact, finding it's way into my favorites or must have piles. Maybe it's just not my era, it will be known as being oversaturated with Superhero flicks and those have never been a primary source of zeal for me. Now we're living Disney reboots and shit, meh, just not getting excited.
that's fair. i'm not into silent films and struggle with westerns as a subgenre. hopefully you can find your way around the types of films that you aren't big on.
I did a quick look at the ol' DVDs, and over the last 10 years, everything I've purchased for movies are apart of a franchise or universe or otherwise legacy, the only one that stands out as it's own thing is Cabin in the Woods.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:I wouldn't single out horror. I'm just not finding much of the recent stuff making an impact, finding it's way into my favorites or must have piles. Maybe it's just not my era, it will be known as being oversaturated with Superhero flicks and those have never been a primary source of zeal for me. Now we're living Disney reboots and shit, meh, just not getting excited.
that's fair. i'm not into silent films and struggle with westerns as a subgenre. hopefully you can find your way around the types of films that you aren't big on.
I did a quick look at the ol' DVDs, and over the last 10 years, everything I've purchased for movies are apart of a franchise or universe or otherwise legacy, the only one that stands out as it's own thing is Cabin in the Woods.
why are you purchasing those flicks, then? the other stuff is out there. don't support the stuff that you seem to dislike.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
why are you purchasing those flicks, then? the other stuff is out there. don't support the stuff that you seem to dislike.
I don't, that's why it's so bare bones. I like the franchises and stuff I am getting, Wick, Expendables, Jurassic World, but they're still living off of legacy and shiz.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
I don't, that's why it's so bare bones. I like the franchises and stuff I am getting, Wick, Expendables, Jurassic World, but they're still living off of legacy and shiz.
oh okay. i can look at mine and find non-sequels/remakes among the legacy stuff as you call it. i don't know what you're doing different.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
oh okay. i can look at mine and find non-sequels/remakes among the legacy stuff as you call it. i don't know what you're doing different.
Riddle me off some.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Riddle me off some.
pet, devil's candy, a quiet place, hereditary, oculus, a girl walks home alone at night, american mary, over your dead body, it follows, the lure, raw. etc

you might think that's all crap but it's just not even the surface of what's come along.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Riddle me off some.
pet, devil's candy, a quiet place, hereditary, oculus, a girl walks home alone at night, american mary, over your dead body, it follows, the lure, raw. etc

you might think that's all crap but it's just not even the surface of what's come along.
Go ahead and go outside of horror.

Of those, the only one I dug was It Follows, the only one close to crap is Hereditary but I wouldn't go that far. The rest, good for one viewing and I'm moving on, got no business getting close to my favorites.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Riddle me off some.

Of those, the only one I dug was It Follows, the only one close to crap is Hereditary but I wouldn't go that far. The rest, good for one viewing and I'm moving on, got no business getting close to my favorites.
well, i'm more of a horror fan than other stuff, so keep that in mind... atomic blonde, the shape of water, end of watch, tangled,

i'm not trying to tell you what to like. if you like jurassic world and such as favorites, then that's awesome. but if you don't, then there is other stuff to find. do you have a big library around you? they might have a selection of movies to borrow. explore that, if you don't wanna buy or can't find it on streaming?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Riddle me off some.

well, i'm more of a horror fan than other stuff, so keep that in mind... atomic blonde, the shape of water, end of watch, tangled,

i'm not trying to tell you what to like. if you like jurassic world and such as favorites, then that's awesome. but if you don't, then there is other stuff to find. do you have a big library around you? they might have a selection of movies to borrow. explore that, if you don't wanna buy or can't find it on streaming?
Zombs, it's all there, at my fingertips. I got more options and more money to buy shit than ever. It's just not that good.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Zombs, it's all there, at my fingertips. I got more options and more money to buy shit than ever. It's just not that good.
and i just wanted to know what is missing, or what makes you feel that way. not to talk you out of it. just to understand the position. cause i am finding favorites, from my end. so i wanted to understand your viewpoint.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
and i just wanted to know what is missing, or what makes you feel that way. not to talk you out of it. just to understand the position. cause i am finding favorites, from my end. so i wanted to understand your viewpoint.
And I'm trying to explain it. All those movies you listed, I'm fine with being one and done with. Somebody says "let's throw on an awesome movie, one of your favorites", they ain't coming on the radar.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
And I'm trying to explain it. All those movies you listed, I'm fine with being one and done with. Somebody says "let's throw on an awesome movie, one of your favorites", they ain't coming on the radar.
well... okay. those were just what i've bought. i have older stuff too, that you're gonna feel the same way about.

take scorsese, gibson, and fincher as examples. what makes silence (or wolf of wall street), hacksaw ridge, and gone girl not favorites. the way you hold their earlier work? are those not as worthy, favorites-wise, as some of the legacy stuff in your collection, from the past ten years?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

First off, Wolf is the elite, that goes without saying from now on.