8-21-17

The daily chat room.
Jason
Administrator

Re: 8-21-17

Post by Jason »

Got a flat tire on my right rear on the way home from work on Thursday.
Got a flat tire on my left rear on the way home from work today.

The left tire flap came up and bent the ever loving fuck out of my fender, just totally bent the fuck out of it, and completely blew out my entire left tail-light. Every piece of it. Bought these tires brand new like a year or two ago. Warranty got me a whopping 30 bucks back for both blowouts. 400 bucks for a new set of 4. Not the same tire brand, of course. Do not buy Falken Sincera tires. Ever. Totally fucked me over and ruined my truck.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:Trucking And Blue-Collar Woes
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/0 ... llar-woes/

Something for Jason perhaps?

I had no ide the US trucking industry had been this badly maligned over he last 30 years.
I love how the article ended by blaming Trump for trucking wages going down since the 70's/80's. For every dollar that my company makes, I still make less than one penny. That is the issue with the trucking industry: Drivers agreeing to operate at such low wages. It is much like sports contracts. If all drivers were a hive mind, we could be making double or triple what we are making, the problem is everyone agreeing to work for such low wages. This is why elite level athletes such as LeBron James and Von Miller take the highest amount of money that the NFL can legally pay out. It sets a precedent for lower level athletes to make more money. This is why they are so rich.

Cool article, bro.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason, you should look into Advance Auto Parts. My oldest brother owned his own rig for years, and made good money. However, he got a job driving for Advance and made bank. Mostly in-state, and I am pretty sure he had weekends free.

When my father passed away in 2004, me and two of my brothers moved in with my mom. I used to deposit some of his checks and they were like $1500-$2000 bi-weekly. He became diabetic (whatever type uses the needle) and couldn't drive anymore. But he was a truck driver for 25+ years.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

There is a 50/50 chance I am going to join the Marines in February or so.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:There is a 50/50 chance I am going to join the Marines in February or so.
any reason behind the choice, if you don't mind sharing?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:There is a 50/50 chance I am going to join the Marines in February or so.
I was probably cut out for that kind of life, to be honest. But there is a guy at the gym I go to who was in the Marines for four years and is currently making 115,000 a year for the feds. He recommended joining the reserves and they will pay good money for you to go through training of any job of your choice, and they will also pay for the training. I will set up a couple of meetings with some recruiters and see what kind of jobs might be doable for me. Also, if I don't go to school, all I will do is the three months of boot camp, sign on as a truck driver through the reserves, but come back to my current job. I will always have military status on my record so it will make finding new work easier, and I don't have to deploy and kill ISIS to get that status. Though, I wouldn't mind that, to be honest.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
I was probably cut out for that kind of life, to be honest. But there is a guy at the gym I go to who was in the Marines for four years and is currently making 115,000 a year for the feds. He recommended joining the reserves and they will pay good money for you to go through training of any job of your choice, and they will also pay for the training. I will set up a couple of meetings with some recruiters and see what kind of jobs might be doable for me. Also, if I don't go to school, all I will do is the three months of boot camp, sign on as a truck driver through the reserves, but come back to my current job. I will always have military status on my record so it will make finding new work easier, and I don't have to deploy and kill ISIS to get that status. Though, I wouldn't mind that, to be honest.
so it's about finding better opportunities rather than active service or deployment? that's a good approach. if i thought i could manage the bootcamp part of it, i would maybe give that a try.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

You can manage the boot camp part of it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

well i like your confidence at the least.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Only good will come out of it. And you will be built like a brick shithouse when you get out of there.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

apparently i'm nearly too old now for all of it anyways, unless that is just the age to start and not age of service altogether.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
so it's about finding better opportunities rather than active service or deployment? that's a good approach. if i thought i could manage the bootcamp part of it, i would maybe give that a try.
Bootcamp is annoying not really diffucult.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

They'll take you in.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Bootcamp is annoying not really diffucult.
are you expected to do active duty, like grunts or whatever, or do you have the option of forgoing that for a different path? do they choose where you go, or do you choose it? (as in path of service, not geographically :P )
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:They'll take you in.
are the age limits given, just a guideline then?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggs memory of bootcamp " Man i cant wait till the next time i get to sit " :x
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Not sure. But I am pretty sure they'll take people in their mid-late 30s.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
yeah, that's where i'm at already, it seems like that is the cap from what i'm seeing.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

GO! :p
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
yeah, that's where i'm at already, it seems like that is the cap from what i'm seeing.
Air Force age limit is 39