Father of Medical marijuana dies of lung cancer

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Father of Medical marijuana dies of lung cancer

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
No one should every take those mood altering drugs. Abilify, Cymbalta, marijuana, etc. all that stuff is trash that replaces good habits with bad ones.

The problem with your argument is everyone thinks they are the special person who needs them, meanwhile massive chunks of the population think that.
what about using whatever substance makes a "special person"?

i do think that mood altering drugs do have their place. it can be helpful to certain people. that doesn't make them special for using that drug. i don't know where that is coming from.

i also agree that there is a severe over-use and over prescribing going on in our society. there needs to be a solution to that. both with the people taking the pills and with the people prescribing and selling the pills.
Every user and abuser thinks they need it. No one needs it.
i'm not qualified to make that determination, if you are then i'll concede.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
No one should every take those mood altering drugs. Abilify, Cymbalta, marijuana, etc. all that stuff is trash that replaces good habits with bad ones.

The problem with your argument is everyone thinks they are the special person who needs them, meanwhile massive chunks of the population think that.
what about using whatever substance makes a "special person"?

i do think that mood altering drugs do have their place. it can be helpful to certain people. that doesn't make them special for using that drug. i don't know where that is coming from.

i also agree that there is a severe over-use and over prescribing going on in our society. there needs to be a solution to that. both with the people taking the pills and with the people prescribing and selling the pills.
Every user and abuser thinks they need it. No one needs it.
i'm not qualified to make that determination, if you are then i'll concede.
We could start by exposing the entire bullshit surrounding "chemical imbalances" that is an attempt to justify people consuming that garbage.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: We could start by exposing the entire bullshit surrounding "chemical imbalances" that is an attempt to justify people consuming that garbage.
what makes it bullshit? expose it for me?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:From the same team who brought you "Alcohol and marijuana are equally dangerous",
That was just me, to be fair. And I will forever stand by that. Some people are terrible with weed, but not as bad with alcohol, and vice versa.

Remember when we had this discussion and I told the story of my female friend who lost her fuckin marbles and had to stay in the hospital because she started smoking weed more? It is just different for some people.

Alcohol is terrible for you, but you can't tell me lighting something on fire and inhaling its contents isn't terrible for your fuckin lungs. Gimme a breaky.

Equally bad.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:From the same team who brought you "Alcohol and marijuana are equally dangerous",
That was just me, to be fair. And I will forever stand by that. Some people are terrible with weed, but not as bad with alcohol, and vice versa.

Remember when we had this discussion and I told the story of my female friend who lost her fuckin marbles and had to stay in the hospital because she started smoking weed more? It is just different for some people.

Alcohol is terrible for you, but you can't tell me lighting something on fire and inhaling its contents isn't terrible for your fuckin lungs. Gimme a breaky.

Equally bad.
Or that finding euphoria in a chemical is not dangerous for anyone.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:
Jason wrote:

Equally bad.
Or that finding euphoria in a chemical is not dangerous for anyone.
Yep. Which leads back to my tolerance argument. People find euphoria in alcohol, too. Some people handle alcohol and marijuana differently, and they can both be gateway drugs for anybody if they don't have a decent head on their shoulders.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

so, taking that as absolute truth for the sake of the argument, it would seem that "chemical imbalance" was dreamed up and used as a way, by psychiatrists, to give more credibility and influence to their field. how do you propose undoing that?

also, it seems to miss the point that such pills do seem to help some people. so there would seem to be something to it. even though, it's probably not at the scale that it's being prescribed at. i agree that there is over-use. i don't agree that there should be no use.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:so, taking that as absolute truth for the sake of the argument, it would seem that "chemical imbalance" was dreamed up and used as a way, by psychiatrists, to give more credibility and influence to their field. how do you propose undoing that?

also, it seems to miss the point that such pills do seem to help some people. so there would seem to be something to it. even though, it's probably not at the scale that it's being prescribed at. i agree that there is over-use. i don't agree that there should be no use.
I am overweight. Heroin, cocaine, adderall, amphetamines, and many other drugs could appear to be helping me. What are the other side effects of that? Is that sustainable? Would it not be a better idea to learn discipline and address the problem with diet and exercise?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:so, taking that as absolute truth for the sake of the argument, it would seem that "chemical imbalance" was dreamed up and used as a way, by psychiatrists, to give more credibility and influence to their field. how do you propose undoing that?

I am overweight. Heroin, cocaine, adderall, amphetamines, and many other drugs could appear to be helping me. What are the other side effects of that? Is that sustainable? Would it not be a better idea to learn discipline and address the problem with diet and exercise?
that would be better. but it assumes that everyone who is overweight has not tried / is trying to lose the weight through diet or exercise.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

that would be better. but it assumes that everyone who is overweight has not tried / is trying to lose the weight through diet or exercise.
Good diet and exercise works every time. 100%.

Would you tell a fat person to use heroin because they lack discipline?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:Image

Decriminalization in the 1970's
Medical Weed legal in 2000's
Recreational Weed legal in 2012.

Look at the chart and tell me that is progress.
That is not a big sample size.
It is not a poll.
Statistically I mean. % increases are more representative in larger sample sizes.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

good diet and exercise should be the core. doesn't mean it can't be helped along with something else if need be.

no.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

good diet and exercise should be the core. doesn't mean it can't be helped along with something else if need be.

no.
Don't worry, we will change the name and run some commercials with happy thin people in it. We can give the doctors who prescribe it some cool stuff for their offices and free cruises and vacations where they meet with us for a few minutes to make it legit. We have plenty of scientists who will say anything for money. It is science! You don't have to call it heroin.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

no.
Don't worry, we will change the name and run some commercials with happy thin people in it. We can give the doctors who prescribe it some cool stuff for their offices and free cruises and vacations where they meet with us for a few minutes to make it legit. We have plenty of scientists who will say anything for money. It is science! You don't have to call it heroin.
so, you're not interested in a discussion. just being snarky and condescending. good approach.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Kind of off topic, but I think having self-blame is one of the best things a person can do for themselves. How many times out of 100 do people make excuses for their behavior? Drug addicts for example. "The devil got me again", "My girl cheated on me and I couldn't control myself". If people put responsibility on themselves for hurdle they need to jump over in life, a lot of people would be a lot better. Even if there are viable excuses for poor behavior, it still reflects on you because only you have the power to make your decisions.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Kind of off topic, but I think having self-blame is one of the best things a person can do for themselves. How many times out of 100 do people make excuses for their behavior? Drug addicts for example. "The devil got me again", "My girl cheated on me and I couldn't control myself". If people put responsibility on themselves for hurdle they need to jump over in life, a lot of people would be a lot better. Even if there are viable excuses for poor behavior, it still reflects on you because only you have the power to make your decisions.
taking responsibility would go a long way. i would suggest not taking it to the "blame" level. that could be misplaced and it could make things worse for you, whether misplaced or not. if you get into the mindset of putting every problem on to yourself, and doing it in a blame kind of way, it's not gonna be so good for your wellbeing.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

People need to accept responsibility for their own actions and inactions. It has determined who they are, where they are, and where they are going. Too many things are chalked up to the doings of others and bad luck. Many circumstances blamed on accidents could have even be prevented. I think we all know the person who has been in multiple fender benders and when you ride on a car with them, you quickly learn why.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:People need to accept responsibility for their own actions and inactions. It has determined who they are, where they are, and where they are going. Too many things are chalked up to the doings of others and bad luck. Many circumstances blamed on accidents could have even be prevented. I think we all know the person who has been in multiple fender benders and when you ride on a car with them, you quickly learn why.
yeah, more people do need to accept their responsibility for things in their life. everything that happens to you is in some part because of you and your actions or inaction. but that is not to say that there is never anyone or anything else at fault too. or that something beyond yourself is more to blame for a given situation or problem than yourself. look at things honestly and rationally. don't put all of the blame for everything on to yourself. and also don't cast all blame on to something other than yourself.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

My great grandpa lived to be 106 years old. He smoked all of his life lmao. Therefore, I should start smoking cigarettes again! Btw.....cooking steak in a frying pan...is a carcinogen. Lol