Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by showa58taro »

Detroit - A-

Very good film. Quite hard to watch. But a very interesting insight into the riots.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The Hitman's Bodyguard - A

Phenomenal film. So much fun. I laughed at just about every scene with Sam and Ryan. Great duo. And great one liners I know that's a Ryan Reynolds staple but still. It's an ideal popcorn flick in my eyes.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Friend Request

I don't even want to write up a summary on this one, it's basically The Ring mixed with Unfriended. Also, a Horror film based off that episode of South Park where Stan friends the kid with no friends on Facebook. Yeah, we're stealing ideas from South Park now and turning them into modern horror films. Anyway, random college girl decides to add this loner girl as a friend on Facebook, the loner girl goes all psycho with constant messages and facetime chats and college girl get's annoyed and unfriends her. Loner girl decides to set herself on fire, (because she was apparently born from a Witch mother) which leads to a chain of events such as College girl unable to delete her facebook account, losing facebook friends and all of her close friends are being killed, because they were all together at her Birthday party that loner girl wasn't invited too.

Bland, unoriginal, uninspired and just plain boring. Nothing is worth noting from this one. Characters suck, story sucks and it's filled with horror clichés and tropes.

This is coming out to theaters in a few weeks, but it's already available online. Figured i'd save the money and watch it for free instead. Glad I did, even though now I would've enjoyed listening to what the audience might've gasped at.

Overall, don't bother!
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

You didn't like the 3D wasp things, Havok? For shame. :p

I thought it was extraordinarily bland myself - as opposed to The Ring, it reminded me a lot of the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Bland, unnecessary, and overall a waste of time.

And I saw that movie online something like six months ago - is it just now going to theaters? :p
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Didn't even know Friend Request was out already. I keep seeing the oversized cardboard ads for it and immediately thought it looked like shit, lol. The generic shit that I assume Seb refers to :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Didn't even know Friend Request was out already. I keep seeing the oversized cardboard ads for it and immediately thought it looked like shit, lol. The generic shit that I assume Seb refers to :P
As havok says, and as I said in my review for it months ago on the spare board, it's exceedingly bland. Wouldn't at all recommend it. That said, I do think it had some interesting ideas - it just failed utterly in execution.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Is it an official online release that's been out, or a bootleg?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is it an official online release that's been out, or a bootleg?
I honestly have no idea. I thought that when I saw it, it had already been released, because the version I saw was of DVD quality.

That said, it was released in a ton of countries before the USA, according to IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3352390/rel ... _=tt_dt_dt) so perhaps I saw the movie ripped from a British DVD or something. *shrugs*
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I don't know why I'm so interested, I didn't actually have interest in seeing the damned thing, lol.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I don't know why I'm so interested, I didn't actually have interest in seeing the damned thing, lol.
If you liked the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake, then you'll love it. :D
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The intense paranoia present of this fantastically-done science-fiction/horror movie only add to the final product – one that is, at any point in time, a thought-provoking and terrifying film. The film, in which pod people begin taking over the citizens of a moderately-sized California town, highlights how, even in suburban, run-of-the-mill locations, terror and panic can spread. While potentially anti-Communist propaganda (which would be the single flaw of the film, were it intended), the struggle for individuality and love versus complete conformity is still thrilling to this day – plenty of the scenes still stand strong even now, such as Kevin McCarthy's character running down the highway, screaming for people to listen to him, or the chasing of McCarthy and Dana Wynter's characters by the pod people that used to be their friends. Telling the story in the past-tense, and book-ended by events that take place almost a day after the core of the film, was a somewhat questionable choice, and one could certainly argue the movie would be better (if not more downbeat) had the movie ended without the final framing sequence (in fact, that's exactly how the original creators had preferred it to end), but I still find it an acceptable finale. Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a fantastic film, well-worth the highest honor among horror films for both the decade of the 1950's and of all-time. If I had one complaint, it would be that occasionally, I felt it became a bit too melodramatic – luckily, if that's the case, it doesn't happen that often, and shortly afterward, we're back to action of some form or another. In short, this is a great film, from the first time I saw it when I was young to now. 9.5/10.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Jigsaw wrote:You didn't like the 3D wasp things, Havok? For shame. :p

I thought it was extraordinarily bland myself - as opposed to The Ring, it reminded me a lot of the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Bland, unnecessary, and overall a waste of time.

And I saw that movie online something like six months ago - is it just now going to theaters? :p
Wasps wasn't the problem, the entire plot of the film was the problem. I'm gonna stalk and harass you and your friends and then it's your fault when I decide to set my body ablaze.

Yeah, it's been out since the beginning of the year because it was released on dvd in the UK. For some reason, this direct to dvd shit fest is being released to theaters in like two weeks. Good job Warner Bros, you have yourself a pretty big failure on hand. Although, somebody did mention wanting to see the film as we were leaving the IT screening. She was one of those ditzy type girls anyway, probably shit herself watching Unfriended, so it's right up her alley. :P
Last edited by Havok on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I don't know why I'm so interested, I didn't actually have interest in seeing the damned thing, lol.
http://sockshare.net/watch/nGEB1Bdb-fri ... -2016.html

Might have to click the play icon a couple times and close out the pop ups as soon as they appear, but here you go.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Just finished Ghostwatch (1992).

Saw this a few years back during one of the October challenges - it stood out then, and it stands up to memory as a great little movie. I'll write a full review tomorrow.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Ghostwatch (1992)

This British entry to ghost films is immensely creative and enjoyable. First airing on BBC1 on Halloween, 1992, Ghostwatch is shown as a “live” television special about examining the supernatural, hosted by long-time broadcaster Michael Parkinson. Throughout the event, he speaks to callers, guests who both believe and disbelieve in the supernatural, and learns about the supposedly supernatural happenings at a house in northern London, a live investigation (led by real UK television personality Sarah Greene). Even now, in 2017, it's an immersive experience, unlike almost any other movie I've seen. It feels real, in short. And I can only imagine, back during the Halloween of 1992, it felt real to the viewers too. Such was the furor and fright of the reactions that BBC actually placed a ten-year ban on the program before it could be aired again. And it still holds up today. When I first saw it, during one of the October Challenges of year's past, I rather loved it, and it stood out easily. Luckily, a re-watch doesn't dull the immersive sense of the film. A movie I totally recommend, and one of the highlights of the 1990's. Lastly, kudos to Michael Parkinson – he did immensely well here, and I see why his own program lasted as long as it did. He has both a soothing voice and fantastic presence. 8.5/10.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Mother!

Can't really go into that much detail on this one, but it's about a woman and a man who live in a house in the middle of nowhere. The man is a writer suffering from writers block and out of the blue people start to show up at the house which upsets the woman and proceeds to cause her emotional damage as the film progresses.

This is a very metaphorical, almost surreal in it's dark storytelling. I wouldn't straight out call it a Horror film, but some of the scenes that take place are rather visceral and to the point. Even though I thought the characters and subtext was easy to understand, this still might be one of those films that could end up having a different interpretation to whoever is watching it.

It's an interesting watch, that's for certain. Almost felt like watching somebody's fever dream come to life. That or Darren Aronofsky wanted to recreate an expressionism Art piece the likes of a Fernando Arrabal movie.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Havok wrote:Mother!

Can't really go into that much detail on this one, but it's about a woman and a man who live in a house in the middle of nowhere. The man is a writer suffering from writers block and out of the blue people start to show up at the house which upsets the woman and proceeds to cause her emotional damage as the film progresses.

This is a very metaphorical, almost surreal in it's dark storytelling. I wouldn't straight out call it a Horror film, but some of the scenes that take place are rather visceral and to the point. Even though I thought the characters and subtext was easy to understand, this still might be one of those films that could end up having a different interpretation to whoever is watching it.

It's an interesting watch, that's for certain. Almost felt like watching somebody's fever dream come to life. That or Darren Aronofsky wanted to recreate an expressionism Art piece the likes of a Fernando Arrabal movie.
I read the plot synopsis on wikipedia just to see what the hoopla over the F cinema score was about. Definitely seems weird, but not deserving of a F as it had some juicy details, I think some people are just friggin' pussies.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Havok wrote:Mother!

I read the plot synopsis on wikipedia just to see what the hoopla over the F cinema score was about. Definitely seems weird, but not deserving of a F as it had some juicy details, I think some people are just friggin' pussies.
I honestly didn't mind the film, it's just something most general audiences will not understand. Even though as I mentioned, the writing is on the wall for most of the film if you know the source material being used to tell this artistic interpretation in a very surreal approach.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Jeepers Creepers 3

I liked the movie overall. It picked up where the first one left off and seemed to end where the second picked up, though there were a couple things there that didn't add up, so maybe I'm wrong about that last part. I love that Gina Philips had a cameo at the very end that pointed to a fourth installment. Hope that's the case. A couple of things that bothered me was that the Creeper apparently now has the force and can summon weapons into his hands. Pretty weird. Also one scene that was a showdown between the Creeper and another character was a little too comical. Looked like something out of a superhero comedy. That shit bugged the hell out of me. That aside it was a pretty fun flick.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Yeah, i'm pretty much right there with you. I thought the film was alright, nothing great, but I was glad to see The Creeper back on screen.

The weapons things I picked up on as well, which was odd, but the one thing the really made me scratch my head was the truck being a tank and those rolling seeking grenade things. What the hell? Also, why did this film have no big finale? It just ended and sizzled out. Was that road sequence and field scene afterwards suppose to be it? This one didn't pull me in like the finales of 1 and 2.

The only thing I really, really thought was done properly was that if you touched part of the creeper you pretty much learn his history. Shame it didn't really have no effect or payoff. They really could've done some type of flashback scene when the black cop embraced it's severed hand.

Could you tell me what happened in the first 10 minutes or right up to where the creeper waved his finger back and forth to the cops? I was stuck in line and missed it.