NBA Playoffs

All sports. We don't even mind if its women's Curling or junior badminton. Although we won't have strong opinions on the latter.
Forum rules
There are no refs here.
Jason
Administrator

Re: NBA Playoffs

Post by Jason »

We're talking about point guards, and all the elements that make up a point guard. Not "who can shoot the three the best and shoot it off the dribble the best!"

When taking in actual point guards, FiTP isn't even top 5.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:We're talking about point guards, and all the elements that make up a point guard. Not "who can shoot the three the best and shoot it off the dribble the best!"

When taking in actual point guards, FiTP isn't even top 5.
Actually no we're just talking about guys listed at the PG position. Using the threat of your three to create easy shots and lane openings for your teammates all game is more impactful than anything any other PG has in their skill set. By a mile.

You understand that the danger of three pointers creates space on the court, right? You have to take your eyes off the ball to see it but you will be blown away.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

All Curry has is the three in the regular season, is a defensive liability, and is pretty damn good at playing for the other team when the playoffs roll around. FiTP.

He's not even the best three point shooter on the team. Lol.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:All Curry has is the three in the regular season, is a defensive liability, and is pretty damn good at playing for the other team when the playoffs roll around. FiTP.
Steph's three-point shooting percentage in the playoffs is higher than Mark Price, Ray Allen and Reggie Miller's career percentages. So no. Solid defender too. Not amazing, but a really good team defender. You want to see awful point guard defense? Lillard and Irving are fucking terrible and both are on your list.

We've already debunked your weird myth that he's never played well in the playoffs with countless counterexamples you refused to address.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:All Curry has is the three in the regular season, is a defensive liability, and is pretty damn good at playing for the other team when the playoffs roll around. FiTP.
Steph's three-point shooting percentage in the playoffs is higher than Mark Price, Ray Allen and Reggie Miller's career percentages. So no. Solid defender too. Not amazing, but a really good team defender. You want to see awful point guard defense? Lillard and Irving are fucking terrible and both are on your list.

We've already debunked your weird myth that he's never played well in the playoffs with countless counterexamples you refused to address.
Pretty amazing how an entire team of three point shooters can generate openings like that. You talk about creating openings, which he does, but never acknowledge that openings are more often created because of the threat of the three by everyone else on the team. He's got it made with that team. They've made him look better than he is for years now. Umamimous MVPee proves what a joke MVP has become. We know who's da reel MVP every season.

Reign could play better in the playoffs on that super team than FiTP. Just feed that shit to Durant. I'll bet Reign could play better defense, though.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Pretty amazing how an entire team of three point shooters can generate openings like that. You talk about creating openings, which he does, but never acknowledge that openings are more often created because of the threat of the three by everyone else on the team. He's got it made with that team. They've made him look better than he is for years now. Umamimous MVPee proves what a joke MVP has become. We know who's da reel MVP every season.
Watch film of the Warriors' offense. Everything is built around Steph getting off the high screen and hitting a three. Everything else in their offense is a consequence of the actions the defenders take on the high screen. I'm not acknowledging your argument because It isn't true. The offense is designed around Steph's shot. Obviously Klay and KD are great shooters too, and you know what makes them better? Steph setting screens draws two defenders and gives their shooters space. All the time.

All great shooters but everyone recognizes the need to stop Steph above all else (Cleveland's strategy in last few games of Finals) because the entire offense slows down if he can't get his shot.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason, tell me what generally happens when Steph is trapped by two defenders off the high screen action. How does the play take shape after they've eliminated his ability to take a shot?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

If Steph is a PG I'll throw him in the top 10 I guess. But feels wrong to me. LBJ is more of a PG than Steph.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

showa58taro wrote:If Steph is a PG I'll throw him in the top 10 I guess. But feels wrong to me. LBJ is more of a PG than Steph.
Zero argument that he isn't a point guard. That's just absurd. He's the primary ball handler and most often guards the opposing PG.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Yeah I dunno. I think Durant was still just as good in OKC as he was in Golden State. To pretend Curry is making him better is just taking the piss. He is the superstar of the superstar team. When Curry struggled in the playoffs like he always does, Durant was there to pick up the pieces in just about every game. Consistent. He was the difference between 16-1 and 15-9. And taking Kawhi out of the playoffs helped GS, too.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:Yeah I dunno. I think Durant was still just as good in OKC as he was in Golden State. To pretend Curry is making him better is just taking the piss. He is the superstar of the superstar team. When Curry struggled in the playoffs like he always does, Durant was there to pick up the pieces in just about every game. Consistent. He was the difference between 16-1 and 15-9. And taking Kawhi out of the playoffs helped GS, too.
What are you arguing here? I think KD ais an overall better player, but he's never feasted on more one on one matchups in his entire career. The Cavs didn't even think about helping on D when KD was killing the,, because they knew it meant Curry would get his.

What was the Warriors' record without Durant this season?
Last edited by Headhunter on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

And no. The KD in OKC who stood around waiting for Westbrook to dribble the ball to death half the time and had to get his points in half court sets all the time was not as good as the KD for the Warriors who is constantly in motion off the ball, plays with appropriate tempo and has become one of the best rim defenders in the league.

The Warriors' system was tailor made for Kevin Durant's skill set. He has peaked in GS.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Headhunter wrote:Jason, tell me what generally happens when Steph is trapped by two defenders off the high screen action. How does the play take shape after they've eliminated his ability to take a shot?
Bump because you might have missed this question, Jason.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:Yeah I dunno. I think Durant was still just as good in OKC as he was in Golden State. To pretend Curry is making him better is just taking the piss. He is the superstar of the superstar team. When Curry struggled in the playoffs like he always does, Durant was there to pick up the pieces in just about every game. Consistent. He was the difference between 16-1 and 15-9. And taking Kawhi out of the playoffs helped GS, too.
The Cavs didn't even think about helping on D when KD was killing the, because they knew it meant Curry would get his.

That's about the goofiest thing I've ever heard. Lol. "Cavs allowed Durant to own them, because they knew Steph would own them" ... ?

"Nobody cares about the regular season after 73-9. 15-9 in the playoffs completely diminished any importance of regular season records.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Jason, tell me what generally happens when Steph is trapped by two defenders off the high screen action. How does the play take shape after they've eliminated his ability to take a shot?
First off, that's a "gotcha question", because that almost never even happens.
Secondly, from my own memory bank, he will either turn it over, take a timeout or pass to the open guy, who will sometimes bring both defenders away from Steph, who then has a wide open three.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
The Cavs didn't even think about helping on D when KD was killing the, because they knew it meant Curry would get his.

That's about the goofiest thing I've ever heard. Lol. "Cavs allowed Durant to own them, because they knew Steph would own them" ... ?

"Nobody cares about the regular season after 73-9. 15-9 in the playoffs completely diminished any importance of regular season records.
Instead of calling it goofy, try to refute it. KD had one-on-one matchups the entire Finals. It has nothing to do with "allow", the Cavs literally couldn't try to stop everyone. You are misrepresenting my argument unfairly.

The Warriors were a better team this year when only Steph was on the court as opposed to only KD.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Secondly, from my own memory bank, he will either turn it over, take a timeout or pass to the open guy, who will sometimes bring both defenders away from Steph, who then has a wide open three.
Yes it does. it happens constantly and is a staple of their offense. You would know if you paid attention.

Nope, wrong. You're just guessing. He executes it perfectly almost every time, actually. This is what happens when Steph is trapped off the high screen. He passes it to Draymond. Draymond rolls to the hoop toward the rim defender. He then kicks it out to the corner most often to Iguodala because they don't even attempt to guard him with the need to put someone on KD and Klay.

Essentially, the attention given to Steph off the high screen shifts all the wing defenders over, leaving Iggy wide open as the two defenders who guarded Steph are basically run out of the play. One will stay with Steph to cover him, the other runs as fast as he can to guard either KD or Klay.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Instead of calling it goofy, try to refute it. KD had one-on-one matchups the entire Finals. It has nothing to do with "allow", the Cavs literally couldn't try to stop everyone. You are misrepresenting my argument unfairly.

The Warriors were a better team this year when only Steph was on the court as opposed to only KD.
KD has one on one matchups, because someone needs to guard Clay, and Groin, and Iggy, etc... Blaming Durant for Curry sucking in the playoffs is goofy.

The Warios were even better last year in the regular season without Durant. He's the only player who seems to want to actually win a title on that team, come playoff time. Nobody wanted to win it for GS last year, and even the year before that it was Iggy who had to step up off the BENCH.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Yes it does. it happens constantly and is a staple of their offense. You would know if you paid attention.

Nope, wrong. You're just guessing. He executes it perfectly almost every time, actually. This is what happens when Steph is trapped off the high screen. He passes it to Draymond. Draymond rolls to the hoop toward the rim defender. He then kicks it out to the corner most often to Iguodala because they don't even attempt to guard him with the need to put someone on KD and Klay.

Essentially, the attention given to Steph off the high screen shifts all the wing defenders over, leaving Iggy wide open as the two defenders who guarded Steph are basically run out of the play. One will stay with Steph to cover him, the other runs as fast as he can to guard either KD or Klay.
You seem to have it all figured out. Why can't other coaches see this?!?! It's so simple!!1!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

KD has one on one matchups, because someone needs to guard Clay, and Groin, and Iggy, etc... Blaming Durant for Curry sucking in the playoffs is goofy.

The Warios were even better last year in the regular season without Durant. He's the only player who seems to want to actually win a title on that team. Nobody wanted it last year, and even the year before that if was Iggy who had to step up off the BENCH.
No. Nobody "needs" to guard Iggy. And usually nobody does if you watch. The extra defender goes to Steph. Iggy is wide open all the time. Stop making stuff up.