It (2017)

News and thoughts on new movies.
Jason
Administrator

Re: It (2017)

Post by Jason »

I didn't even talk about the movie experience I had. Jesus Fuck.
It wasn't even the movie experience, really. It was the pain in the ass of actually being able to see the movie. A friend and his girlfriend wanted to see it with me Saturday night, so they came over and we drove down to the closest theater to my house about 30 minutes early and the line was unbelievably long. No way we were making a showing at this theater. So we high-tailed it to the other side of town to the nearest Cinemark. Three seats left, and it was assigned seating, so you had to sit where you buy your ticket at, and all three seats were spaced out big time. I didn't totally care, I see movies alone all the time, but they weren't having that shit. In a last ditch effort, I know about a lesser known movie theater in the boonies that AMC Theaters recently bought. It was our only hope, so we drove out about 5 miles further into the desert and got to AMC 20 minutes in advance of the movie. There were 243 seats and they had only sold 40 tickets at that point. lol. The tickets were cheaper than all the other tickets at the other theaters, too. 7 bucks each, for the latest Saturday night showing. Pretty incredible. They ended up only selling like 60 seats, and it was first come-first serve, sit wherever the hell you want. Great audience, too. No smart asses, no snickering. Just people enjoying the ride that IT brought.

As I was driving from theater to theater, it sucked having to go through the ordeal, but it was so god damn refreshing to see a shit load of people going to see a HORROR MOVIE for a change. I loved that shit.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jason wrote: The remake scene was created with the audience reaction in mind. Can't do that in horror. There is never an audience. Only the characters in the movie. That should always be the approach.
lulz, Hitchcock and his disciples will tell you otherwise. It's always told for the audience. Hitchcock will show the audience the bomb the character is sitting on and the character doesn't know it. It's called suspense and good horror thrives on it (or swaps out for awesome amounts of buckets of gore). The miniseries failed miserably in the suspense department and coasted on Curry's fun to cover for the lack of any teeth it had due to what they had to hold back to keep a TV rating (even Salem's Lot 79 felt less made for TV than It 1990 did). The new one has suspense, and showing the audience that Pennywise is sinister, even though Georgie clearly warmed up to him pretty quick, is not far from the Hitchcock playbook. It didn't need to play the deception game of making us wonder if he's a good guy (that's just assuming the audience is stupid unless it's a plot twist for later), it's more waiting in suspense for when the snake it going to strike after hypnotizing its prey.
I don't think I'm explaining my point of view well enough.

I realize the stories are told for the audience, but I'm talking about this specific opening scene compared to the original. The basic character interaction. When I'm watching Curry in the Georgie scene I'm watching character manipulation and voice acting at its finest. He is trying to convince Georgie that he's not creepy and the remake Pennywise is trying to convince the audience that he is creepy. And the kid is still somehow lured in. Completely goes against why Georgie is even talking to a clown in a sewer in the first place.
I think you're forcing yourself to cock-gobble the miniseries version more, with double scoops of nostalgia, lol. The kid's not magically lured in in the remake, they interact and he does make him at ease. Nothing in the new version goes against why Georgie is talking to him, everything is the same in that regard, just a much darker storytelling tone.

The only thing I'd say I like about the miniseries more is Tim's voice. Everything else goes to the new one, for the same reasons I love the book more.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:I didn't even talk about the movie experience I had. Jesus Fuck.
It wasn't even the movie experience, really. It was the pain in the ass of actually being able to see the movie. A friend and his girlfriend wanted to see it with me Saturday night, so they came over and we drove down to the closest theater to my house about 30 minutes early and the line was unbelievably long. No way we were making a showing at this theater. So we high-tailed it to the other side of town to the nearest Cinemark. Three seats left, and it was assigned seating, so you had to sit where you buy your ticket at, and all three seats were spaced out big time. I didn't totally care, I see movies alone all the time, but they weren't having that shit. In a last ditch effort, I know about a lesser known movie theater in the boonies that AMC Theaters recently bought. It was our only hope, so we drove out about 5 miles further into the desert and got to AMC 20 minutes in advance of the movie. There were 243 seats and they had only sold 40 tickets at that point. lol. The tickets were cheaper than all the other tickets at the other theaters, too. 7 bucks each, for the latest Saturday night showing. Pretty incredible. They ended up only selling like 60 seats, and it was first come-first serve, sit wherever the hell you want. Great audience, too. No smart asses, no snickering. Just people enjoying the ride that IT brought.

As I was driving from theater to theater, it sucked having to go through the ordeal, but it was so god damn refreshing to see a shit load of people going to see a HORROR MOVIE for a change. I loved that shit.
Jebus. The reason I love the assigned seating is that I can buy my tickets ahead of time and know I'm getting my good seat. I can't imagine a 30 minutes before showtime lack of seats, lol.

Glad you found one with space, and yeah I was loving that there were lines of people waiting to see a horror movie. The last time I remember seeing a line for a horror movie, was Paranormal Activity 2.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I think you're forcing yourself to cock-gobble the miniseries version more, with double scoops of nostalgia, lol.
Nah. I made it pretty clear how badly I wanted to love this movie. It has nothing to do with Nostalgia, that Georgie scene in the original was just flat out brilliant and unbeatable. Just because the scene ended up being closer to as gruesome as the book intended doesn't mean it was better. Nobody cares about the miniseries Shining and that one held way truer to the book.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I think you're forcing yourself to cock-gobble the miniseries version more, with double scoops of nostalgia, lol.
Nah. I made it pretty clear how badly I wanted to love this movie. It has nothing to do with Nostalgia, that Georgie scene in the original was just flat out brilliant and unbeatable. Just because the scene ended up being closer to as gruesome as the book intended doesn't mean it was better. Nobody cares about the miniseries Shining and that one held way truer to the book.
I find the 1997 Shining much better than the 1980's one, thank you very much.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

You could fit everyone who prefers the 97 version in a small bathroom.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:You could fit everyone who prefers the 97 version in a small bathroom.
You could fit your dick into a small bathroom.

#Burnt :p
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jigsaw wrote:
Jason wrote:
I have both at even. I need to watch them again though. I did really enjoy the shit out of the mini-series. It seemed to be less subtle and explained more than the '80 version. I thought the dude from Wings was outstanding. And Rebecca De Mornay is better to look at, lol.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Yeah. She was definitely the shining character of that one.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

That bathroom is getting crowded.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Because my dick is in it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:
You can like the older mediocre-made yet luckily had Curry all you want, I just don't dig the downplaying of how well the new one was made just to highlight how much you love the original. It's like you're treating it like Lazenby vs. Connery, when it's really more like Craig vs. Connery. :p

Yeah, The Shining is totally an example of that. Other than Jiggy, I don't know of anyone that prefers the 97 one, lol. I loved the bullshit being gutted out and streamlined for a far superior movie.

Maybe the sappy bullshit could've been better had it not been made for TV and directed by Hack Garris...but then I was annoyed by it in the book too.

The Howling is another example of the movie improving over the book. But it takes good filmmaking and decisions to do that. The 1990 just lucked out with Curry, it was a shit job without him. (in many ways, had Jackie Earle Haley been given the same free range Curry had, his NOES would be more liked being surrounded by such blandness). I hear Jaws is another, but I never read the book.

Several details were changed, so it's not a literal adaption, but it's faithful in tone and spirit. The only change that's dwelling on me that I'm not 100% behind (though I understand the justification for storytelling) is Mike not being the history buff. Narratively I know they wanted the history to come into play and unfortunately Mike comes in the group after the halfway mark, I get that, but still. I just hope in "Chapter Two" Mike is still the watchman, so to speak.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jmac Attack wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
Jason wrote:
I have both at even. I need to watch them again though. I did really enjoy the shit out of the mini-series. It seemed to be less subtle and explained more than the '80 version. I thought the dude from Wings was outstanding. And Rebecca De Mornay is better to look at, lol.
Yeah, DeMornay was definitely the highlight of the miniseries, the one thing I prefer about over the Kubrick version.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:Because my dick is in it.
Beep beep Jason :p
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:You could fit everyone who prefers the 97 version in a small bathroom.
This is probably the truest thing you've ever spoken, lol.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:
You can like the older mediocre-made yet luckily had Curry all you want, I just don't dig the downplaying of how well the new one was made just to highlight how much you love the original. It's like you're treating it like Lazenby vs. Connery, when it's really more like Craig vs. Connery. :p

Yeah, The Shining is totally an example of that. Other than Jiggy, I don't know of anyone that prefers the 97 one, lol. I loved the bullshit being gutted out and streamlined for a far superior movie.

Maybe the sappy bullshit could've been better had it not been made for TV and directed by Hack Garris...but then I was annoyed by it in the book too.

The Howling is another example of the movie improving over the book. But it takes good filmmaking and decisions to do that. The 1990 just lucked out with Curry, it was a shit job without him. (in many ways, had Jackie Earle Haley been given the same free range Curry had, his NOES would be more liked being surrounded by such blandness). I hear Jaws is another, but I never read the book.

Several details were changed, so it's not a literal adaption, but it's faithful in tone and spirit. The only change that's dwelling on me that I'm not 100% behind (though I understand the justification for storytelling) is Mike not being the history buff. Narratively I know they wanted the history to come into play and unfortunately Mike comes in the group after the halfway mark, I get that, but still. I just hope in "Chapter Two" Mike is still the watchman, so to speak.
I think he's really only speaking to the opening Georgie scene, not the whole movie, bruh bruh.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:

I think he's really only speaking to the opening Georgie scene, not the whole movie, bruh bruh.
I know :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:

Why you gotta be all 5 sentences of taking the chisel to the nuts then! I said I liked the OG Georgie scene better too. But that's mainly because Curry is a masterful actor and I like how it played out better, but I did say I'm not shitting on the remake at all because it is of course aces to see Pennywise finally gank that little naive shit. For a paper boat, you shittin me kid? Now if that was the Babe Ruth ball from the Sandlot I can see bargaining with ol' Penny. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:

Why you gotta be all 5 sentences of taking the chisel to the nuts then! I said I liked the OG Georgie scene better too. But that's mainly because Curry is a masterful actor and I like how it played out better, but I did say I'm not shitting on the remake at all because it is of course aces to see Pennywise finally gank that little naive shit. For a paper boat, you shittin me kid? Now if that was the Babe Ruth ball from the Sandlot I can see bargaining with ol' Penny. :P
I gotta rack up my postcount somehow, and I've been slippin'! So I gotta chat with something I know heavily rather than politics, lol.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:

I gotta rack up my postcount somehow, and I've been slippin'! So I gotta chat with something I know heavily rather than politics, lol.
Touche, my man. I'll be seeing it this Friday so hopefully I can help more with that.