NBA Playoffs

All sports. We don't even mind if its women's Curling or junior badminton. Although we won't have strong opinions on the latter.
Forum rules
There are no refs here.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: NBA Playoffs

Post by Headhunter »

Also lol @ Steph sucking in the playoffs. He was incredible in these playoffs. All you can do is make shit up, you have no clue what you're talking about.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Jason, tell me what generally happens when Steph is trapped by two defenders off the high screen action. How does the play take shape after they've eliminated his ability to take a shot?
Bump because you might have missed this question, Jason.
First off, that's a "gotcha question", because that almost never even happens.
Secondly, from my own memory bank, he will either turn it over, take a timeout or pass to the open guy, who will sometimes bring both defenders away from Steph, who then has a wide open three.
Yes it does. it happens constantly and is a staple of their offense. You would know if you paid attention.

Nope, wrong. You're just guessing. He executes it perfectly almost every time, actually. This is what happens when Steph is trapped off the high screen. He passes it to Draymond. Draymond rolls to the hoop toward the rim defender. He then kicks it out to the corner most often to Iguodala because they don't even attempt to guard him with the need to put someone on KD and Klay.

Essentially, the attention given to Steph off the high screen shifts all the wing defenders over, leaving Iggy wide open as the two defenders who guarded Steph are basically run out of the play. One will stay with Steph to cover him, the other runs as fast as he can to guard either KD or Klay.
You seem to have it all figured out. Why can't other coaches see this?!?! It's so simple!!1!
I just watch and understand the game decently enough. You don't have to be rude because you're surprised I knew what I was talking about.

Oh yeah and every single coach in the league does trap Steph. It usually backfires, almost always leads to wide open shot. Again you have to watch closely to see these things.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Not being rude. I've seen other things different than your fairy tale scenarios that end well 100% of the time. You gonna tell me a trap doesn't work on Steph and he dishes to Trayvon for a 100% success rate?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:Also lol @ Steph sucking in the playoffs. He was incredible in these playoffs. All you can do is make shit up, you have no clue what you're talking about.
He absolutely sucked. Not even Curry would argue.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Next year the Warriors will run a lot more PnR with KD and Steph though. Was unstoppable during the Finals and resulted in either wide open threes or dunks every time.

The central focus of the offense though? It will always be Steph looking for a straight-on three off the high screen. Everything created through that.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:Not being rude. I've seen other things different than your fairy tale scenarios that end well 100% of the time. You gonna tell me a trap doesn't work on Steph and he dishes to Trayvon for a 100% success rate?
That depends, does "almost every time" mean the same thing as 100% to you?

Obviously it's not a score every single time but if your argument is dependent on that premise you don't really have an argument here. Steph's presence creates a 4 on 3 and it usually ends with an easy look from someone. Those are the "hockey assists" that don't show up in the box score and give you the false impression he isn't a true PG. He makes everyone better for sure.
Last edited by Headhunter on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:Not being rude. I've seen other things different than your fairy tale scenarios that end well 100% of the time. You gonna tell me a trap doesn't work on Steph and he dishes to Trayvon for a 100% success rate?

Obviously it's not a score every single time but if your argument is dependent on that premise you don't really have an argument here. Steph's presence creates a 4 on 3 and it usually ends with an easy look from someone.
Well every coach in the NBA must be retarded if they focus their attention on FiTP. Especially in the playoffs.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Obviously it's not a score every single time but if your argument is dependent on that premise you don't really have an argument here. Steph's presence creates a 4 on 3 and it usually ends with an easy look from someone.
Well every coach in the NBA must be retarded if they focus their attention on FiTP. Especially in the playoffs.
The numbers say you're worse off not guarding Curry. Because as I said, that is the centerpiece of Golden State's offense. Steph working off high screens looking for the three. If you let Golden State have that, you have NO chance of stopping them. You're more likely to have success hoping KD doesn't shoot well while trying to take Curry out of the game. The Warriors are so good neither is likely to end well, but there's a reason NBA coaches choose to take Steph out, and they're the ones whose livelihoods depend on making right calls. Don't take my word for it, I'm just a fan. Take their word for it.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Basically this is the decision coaches have to make:

If we try to shut down KD, the Warriors could very well hit more than 20 threes.

If we try to shut Steph down, KD will get 40.

Both will kill you but the first one will kill you a little more brutally. In the first scenario, the offense's flow isn't interrupted. In the second scenario, the offensive flow is interrupted. KD can operate outside the offense and get his buckets without really affecting Kerr's system significantly.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... 17/on-off/

Some numbers here reflect the difference in value. When a Steph is on the court, the team's offensive rating is 121.3 and that sinks to 104.4 when he's off the court. When KD is on the court, the team's offensive rating is 120.1 and that only sinks to 111.3 when he's off the court.

In the playoffs? Team's offensive rating with Steph on the court was 126.0 (better than regular season) and sank way the fuck down when he was off the court to 99.8. The offense basically broke down without Steph. For KD the team's offensive rating was 125.1 when he was on the court and sank to 108.8 when he was off the court. Interestingly, the Warriors were just as potent offensively with Klay on the bench as on the floor.

It's clear Steph's presence is the biggest difference maker offensively for them, even though KD is actually the better player. In general, Steph and Draymond are the only two of the four whose team gets outscored when they're on the bench. The Warriors were actually building leads during KD and Klay's bench minutes.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Btw, offensive rating is just points produced divided by number of possessions x 100.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Cavs trying to get either Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Here we go. This is probably the only thing that matters until June 2018...
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Headhunter wrote:Cavs trying to get either Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Here we go. This is probably the only thing that matters until June 2018...
They need something to counteract KD for sure.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

LeBron and Kyrie have apparently reached out to Jimmy Butler and he has told the Bulls to trade him to Cleveland. It's a curious fit to me. Kyrie and LeBron both need the ball in their hands but so does Butler. He is not an off the ball player or much of a shooter off the catch. To me, Paul George makes more sense as a better shooter who can still be a threat when LeBron or Kyrie has the ball. Butler would definitely make them better defensively though.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Lakers very well could have a Paul George, Brook Lopez and Lonzo Ball core by the end of the week with a chance to sign LeBron next summer.

We're coming baaaaaack. Magic Johnson = John Elway
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Bron ain't going to Loss Angeles.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reports are he wants to go to L.A. next summer. Magic has been planning for it. Could very well stay in Cleveland but there's a good chance he leaves again.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:Lakers very well could have a Paul George, Brook Lopez and Lonzo Ball core by the end of the week with a chance to sign LeBron next summer.

You really think we're gonna draft Ball? I do think the whole "he didn't have a good workout" shiz was smoke and mirrors but still IDK.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Lakers very well could have a Paul George, Brook Lopez and Lonzo Ball core by the end of the week with a chance to sign LeBron next summer.

You really think we're gonna draft Ball? I do think the whole "he didn't have a good workout" shiz was smoke and mirrors but still IDK.
I'd be shocked if Magic Johnson sees his game and ultimately passes on him. He has to see guys like himself, Jason Kidd etc. in Ball. There's no sure thing outside of Fultz in this draft, but Ball has the most transferable skills to start out with.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

I'd be shocked if Magic Johnson sees his game and ultimately passes on him. He has to see guys like himself, Jason Kidd etc. in Ball. There's no sure thing outside of Fultz in this draft, but Ball has the most transferable skills to start out with.
I know a lot who don't want him based on his father, but it's like who really gives a shit? LA is the best market to tune him out and the dad has admitted to treating his sons like he was breeding thoroughbred horses or some shit. I want to see if there's a payoff there.