More destruction of historical statues and monuments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: More destruction of historical statues and monuments

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:the debate largely was about censorship, honestly. and now it's become about oppressing muslims in the name of freedom, because i made the mistake of trying to equate the hijab issue with the statue issue. :P
Guilty, I didn't read any of this thread. Now I definitely won't.
I try to read every post in search of new information and enlightenment.

“It does take great maturity to understand that the opinion we are arguing for is merely the hypothesis we favor, necessarily imperfect, probably transitory, which only very limited minds can declare to be a certainty or a truth.”
Oh for the love of Christ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should heed your own advice occasionally. You won't look as ridiculous trying to make this point next time...

Means nothing if you read a post, don't soak in any information from it and respond with irrelevant nonsense for the sake of misdirection. That seems to be your MO lately. Based on my avoidance of one 11 page thread about shit we've already discussed, you want to make some overarching judgment of my character. This is almost as hilariously misguided as the time you tried to suggest I complain about politics too much. The lady doth protest waaaaaay too much, buddy. Yuuuuuge projection.
Just saying, I read what is presented and try to adjust my viewpoint based on new information. For instance, after seeing many different viewpoints on here, I realized that Jason was making much better arguments about Trump than some others were making against him.

If I was just plowing foraward with my preconceived ideas and not listening to the viewpoint of others, it is possible I could have remained ignorant to some facts.

Open mind is important, sir.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:The lady doth protest waaaaaay too much, buddy. Yuuuuuge projection.
As a feminist and crusader for women's equality, I am a little disturbed by implying women are nags, and also using "lady" is a bit of a pejorative when referring to a male.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:I have no freedom because I can't walk around with my dick out!
They do it in San Fran all the time.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:i thought you were arguing that they aren't free. if everyone is not free (for that very silly reason) then they can be not free wearing the hijab, and not free wearing something other than the hijab. :P
The point is that society sets standards of dress. To claim in any way that setting a dress standard is somehow a greater restriction than condoning the abuse and oppression of women is absurd. By allowing the hijab, you are assisting the abuse, rather than standing against it.
Foo, in our country, it's entirely their choice. If a Muslim woman chooses to wear it in all honesty, or through fear of abuse, it makes no nevermind. Just the same as a woman who is actually getting the shit beat of her chooses to continually go back to the fucker, and press no charges. The avenue is there for them. But people are too easily brain-washed sometimes.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: Just saying, I read what is presented and try to adjust my viewpoint based on new information. For instance, after seeing many different viewpoints on here, I realized that Jason was making much better arguments about Trump than some others were making against him.

If I was just plowing foraward with my preconceived ideas and not listening to the viewpoint of others, it is possible I could have remained ignorant to some facts.

how did jason's view on trump differ from your own, exactly? and do you and jason, now, have the correct view?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:the debate largely was about censorship, honestly. and now it's become about oppressing muslims in the name of freedom, because i made the mistake of trying to equate the hijab issue with the statue issue. :P

“It does take great maturity to understand that the opinion we are arguing for is merely the hypothesis we favor, necessarily imperfect, probably transitory, which only very limited minds can declare to be a certainty or a truth.”
I like that. Morpheus from the Matrix?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The lady doth protest waaaaaay too much, buddy. Yuuuuuge projection.
As a feminist and crusader for women's equality, I am a little disturbed by implying women are nags, and also using "lady" is a bit of a pejorative when referring to a male.
How many times have you looked woefully out of touch trying to make jokes like this? Nobody cares...
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

You should heed your own advice occasionally. You won't look as ridiculous trying to make this point next time...

Means nothing if you read a post, don't soak in any information from it and respond with irrelevant nonsense for the sake of misdirection. That seems to be your MO lately. Based on my avoidance of one 11 page thread about shit we've already discussed, you want to make some overarching judgment of my character. This is almost as hilariously misguided as the time you tried to suggest I complain about politics too much. The lady doth protest waaaaaay too much, buddy. Yuuuuuge projection.
Just saying, I read what is presented and try to adjust my viewpoint based on new information. For instance, after seeing many different viewpoints on here, I realized that Jason was making much better arguments about Trump than some others were making against him.

If you were open-minded, you'd actually respond to people's arguments instead of creating strawmen to escape from them. Your holier-than-thou schtick here is load of crap.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote: Just saying, I read what is presented and try to adjust my viewpoint based on new information. For instance, after seeing many different viewpoints on here, I realized that Jason was making much better arguments about Trump than some others were making against him.

how did jason's view on trump differ from your own, exactly? and do you and jason, now, have the correct view?
well, this was a bust. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Using Jason's Trump advocacy as your shining example is just telling on yourself.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:i thought you were arguing that they aren't free. if everyone is not free (for that very silly reason) then they can be not free wearing the hijab, and not free wearing something other than the hijab. :P
The point is that society sets standards of dress. To claim in any way that setting a dress standard is somehow a greater restriction than condoning the abuse and oppression of women is absurd. By allowing the hijab, you are assisting the abuse, rather than standing against it.
Foo, in our country, it's entirely their choice. If a Muslim woman chooses to wear it in all honesty, or through fear of abuse, it makes no nevermind. Just the same as a woman who is actually getting the shit beat of her chooses to continually go back to the fucker, and press no charges. The avenue is there for them. But people are too easily brain-washed sometimes.
I could live with that if we decided this was going to be how we handled every situation of abuse. I think for me, I desire consistency. For instance, society will press charges of abuse against a husband even if the wife refuses to press charges. Society made the decision to protect the individual, even if it goes against her wishes.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:

Jason was more informed. I watched the election far more casually. Jason was talking about just how biased the media was before I noticed the extent.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Foo wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

I like that. Morpheus from the Matrix?
May have been Dalton from Roadhouse. Imagine the discussions if Dalton was in the Matrix...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

Jason was more informed. I watched the election far more casually. Jason was talking about just how biased the media was before I noticed the extent.
okay. you were leaning toward trump anyways. he didn't change your mind, just made you more aware of media bias is what i'm taking from that?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

If you were open-minded, you'd actually respond to people's arguments instead of creating strawmen to escape from them. Your holier-than-thou schtick here is load of crap.
There is no need for the ad hominem attacks. I found Jason's argument to be more compelling, genuine, and informed. When it came to actual solutions, Jason was offering up the possible. I didn't see you offering any solutions other than shooting down the ideas of others. Jason was supporting a candidate. What have you offered that is a realistic way forward? Gary Johnson, who about ten people voted for seriously, and who would be getting less than nothing done as a member of no party and with no team at all.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

okay. you were leaning toward trump anyways. he didn't change your mind, just made you more aware of media bias is what i'm taking from that?
You are missing the bigger picture. Jason was informing about a situation that was actually both feasible and pertinent. It was not just negativity about everything or pipe dreams.

I have a rather pragmatic viewpoint of the world. For instance, a person of experience comes into my business and gives me a little tip that is helpful and pertinent, I am all ears. If it is someone with no experience telling me what they would do, that has no grounding in reality, costs, or time, I would likely disregard.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

It really isn't ad hominem if you're shedding light on hypocrisy. There's nothing open-minded about trying to derail everything with a strawman. So I ignore some entire discussions, you ignore actual arguments while pretending to engage in them. Congrats.
Last edited by Headhunter on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

You are missing the bigger picture. Jason was informing about a situation that was actually both feasible and pertinent. It was not just negativity about everything or pipe dreams.

I have a rather pragmatic viewpoint of the world. For instance, a person of experience comes into my business and gives me a little tip that is helpful and pertinent, I am all ears. If it is someone with no experience telling me what they would do, that has no grounding in reality, costs, or time, I would likely disregard.
i thought i was asking a pretty simple question, but we can just stick to generalities. it's fair play.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:It really isn't ad hominem if you're shedding light on hypocrisy. There's nothing open-minded about trying to derail everything with a strawman. So I ignore some discussions, you ignore actual arguments while pretending to engage in them. Congrats.
Sometimes when we ask a question, we have to be prepared to not like the answer.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

i thought i was asking a pretty simple question, but we can just stick to generalities. it's fair play.
It was numerous things. As I said, Jason clearly tossed his support behind Trump and presented rationale. Who were you advocating for? Who was Head advocating for? AlI saw from you guys was anti-Trump negativity and the same old non-sense about wanting more choices, which is like saying you want a unicorn for Christmas.