October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched Son of Frankenstein for the first time. Seen most of the original Universal Classics, but suffer on the sequels. Definitely a strong film, and though not as good as the 1931 original, definitely more enjoyable than Bride.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I haven't watched Son of Frankenstein in ages, but I've always thought Bride was the best of Universal's classic monster movies (even if I have a bias to The Wolf Man).
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:26 pm I haven't watched Son of Frankenstein in ages, but I've always thought Bride was the best of Universal's classic monster movies (even if I have a bias to The Wolf Man).
You're certainly not alone. Plenty of people out there like saying it's better than the original, which is balderdash in my view, but I'm always happy that others find gold where I don't. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:59 pm Watching Happy Death Day 2 U before my peacock expires. I'm told I don't need to watch the first, and I've heard this was by far better anyway.
I liked the first way more
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:46 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:59 pm Watching Happy Death Day 2 U before my peacock expires. I'm told I don't need to watch the first, and I've heard this was by far better anyway.
Looking over the reviews after, and seeing they have the exact same Rotten Tomatoes score, ith 2 having a minor dip with its audience rating, apparently some taking issue with the added sci-fi element (I'm guessing the project isn't in the first flick?). I'm trying to figure out where I heard the 2nd was way better. I really liked it though.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:33 am
Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:46 am
Looking over the reviews after, and seeing they have the exact same Rotten Tomatoes score, ith 2 having a minor dip with its audience rating, apparently some taking issue with the added sci-fi element (I'm guessing the project isn't in the first flick?). I'm trying to figure out where I heard the 2nd was way better. I really liked it though.
Both are very good but the first has more of a horror vibe than the second
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Fan of the Happy Death Days. Both solid horror goodness with a good lead.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Now I really wanna watch the 2 Death Days. Well tonight's flicks are chosen
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I'm on 2U after finishing Happy Death Day and think this is one of the times where it's important to watch in order. Just my opinion
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:02 pm I'm on 2U after finishing Happy Death Day and think this is one of the times where it's important to watch in order. Just my opinion
Yup, needs proper watchage.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Well, blame Peacock for not having the first available, for some reason.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tried Prime on my phone on the commute home. Holy shit that drained the fuck out of my battery. Netflix and Youtube conserve battery power on a decent level, a 90 minute movie maybe sucks up 25% power. Prime drained about 50%.

Watched Riding the Bullet. Mick Garris just couldn't restrain some of his hack trademarks, but it wasn't as garish as his TV movie work. At least his fish-eye lens was at a minimum, I guess. I'm curious to read the book now, at least (I never knew what the story was about).

This morning was His House on Netflex. Decent, if a little pretentious, but I didn't get angry with it like Babadook.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Watching now To The Devil A Daughter.

Aaaaaaand the opening lines are featured in one of my favorite White Zombie songs, Super Charger In Heaven. Awesome.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Oh, and apparently I've seen Jigsaw. Thanks Amazon Prime for the hint that I've already watched it. I have no memory of the movie lol. So I guess Spiral is the only Saw movie I haven't seen.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:28 pm Watching now To The Devil A Daughter.

Aaaaaaand the opening lines are featured in one of my favorite White Zombie songs, Super Charger In Heaven. Awesome.
This is one I watched in my first ever October Challenge
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:19 pm Well, blame Peacock for not having the first available, for some reason.
Damn yous Peacock!!
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:14 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:19 pm Well, blame Peacock for not having the first available, for some reason.
Damn yous Peacock!!
Would Jason blame the cock for blasphemically watching things out of order? I'm fairly certain he'd find a liberal woman to take it out on, but still. Can't be blaming the cock all the time.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I wanted to hold out for both, but my Peacock expires today, and money is short so I wasn't renting the first. I have had others tell me it recaps the first so it wasn't *that* necessary to get it (which it did, I really didn't feel lost at all).
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:09 am I wanted to hold out for both, but my Peacock expires today, and money is short so I wasn't renting the first. I have had others tell me it recaps the first so it wasn't *that* necessary to get it (which it did, I really didn't feel lost at all).
You can only rectify this by steel booking it, Dano.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Watching Friday the 13th parts 2 and 6 because I'm meeting
Warrington Gillette and CJ Graham tomorrow hopefully