Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Random Political Comments

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:I am 50/50 on all this.
That just means you know these people are idiots but don’t want to admit it.
It has nothing to do with the people. I'm saying I'm 50/50 on whether or not to start opening things up.
So clearly not viable at this stage.
Why not?
Not even close to enough testing. Re-open too soon and we’re significantly more fucked than we are now. Short term, myopic “save the economy” thinking that doesn’t account for the effect of a second wave.
The likelihood of a second wave increases with this self-isolation. It runs the risk of becoming endemic, so the two scenarios we're looking at are 1) let it burn through quicker and become obsolete, but hospitals are overrun, resulting in more deaths in a shorter period of time. 2) Quarantine, slow the curve, further damage the world economy and increase the risk of this disease becoming endemic when we aren't expected to have a vaccine for at least one or two years, likely resulting in far more deaths long term than option one.

Neither are good scenarios.
There’s more economic risk if everything falls off a cliff in a short amount of time.
Most things have already fallen off a cliff.
Watch what happens when the medical system gets completely overwhelmed. This will look like a small blip. Buckle the fuck up.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:I am 50/50 on all this.
That just means you know these people are idiots but don’t want to admit it.
It has nothing to do with the people. I'm saying I'm 50/50 on whether or not to start opening things up.
So clearly not viable at this stage.
Why not?
Not even close to enough testing. Re-open too soon and we’re significantly more fucked than we are now. Short term, myopic “save the economy” thinking that doesn’t account for the effect of a second wave.
The likelihood of a second wave increases with this self-isolation. It runs the risk of becoming endemic, so the two scenarios we're looking at are 1) let it burn through quicker and become obsolete, but hospitals are overrun, resulting in more deaths in a shorter period of time. 2) Quarantine, slow the curve, further damage the world economy and increase the risk of this disease becoming endemic when we aren't expected to have a vaccine for at least one or two years, likely resulting in far more deaths long term than option one.

Neither are good scenarios.
There’s more economic risk if everything falls off a cliff in a short amount of time.
Most things have already fallen off a cliff.
Watch what happens when the medical system gets completely overwhelmed. This will look like a small blip. Buckle the fuck up.
That's the thing. It hurts the medical apparatus but only for the short term. If it burns through quickly, things go back to normal quickly, people will have developed an immunity and the disease will die out because there isn't a host reservoir.

This is why I'm 50/50 on it. There are cases to be made for both sides. I'm listening to dozens of medical professionals and infectious disease experts contradict each other, whether out of pride, not wanting to sound ignorant on a subject they're supposed to be experts on, or both. All we know is it operates similarly to a seasonal flu with no vaccine and the elderly being at the highest risk. The big difference is we have no vaccine. Letting it burn out quickly and kill itself while causing hospitals to be overrun is one option, staying in quarantine, keeping the virus alive longer (of which we have no vaccine for) and increase the likelihood of it becoming endemic is the other option.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I’ve said this repeatedly: if you take care of people, the economy will recover. I’m stunned by the amount of people who act like bodies piling up at a rapid rate isn’t the absolute worst thing that can happen to an economy.

Increase testing. Follow the data diligently. And put money in people’s pockets.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:I’ve said this repeatedly: if you take care of people, the economy will recover. I’m stunned by the amount of people who act like bodies piling up at a rapid rate isn’t the absolute worst thing that can happen to an economy.

Increase testing. Follow the data diligently. And put money in people’s pockets.
Closing an economy is the worst thing that can happen to an economy. And the 1200 dollars we got wasn't free money. It's essentially a loan we're gonna have to pay back in taxes, too. What's worse, 100 deaths in one day, or 150-200 deaths in a week?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:I’ve said this repeatedly: if you take care of people, the economy will recover. I’m stunned by the amount of people who act like bodies piling up at a rapid rate isn’t the absolute worst thing that can happen to an economy.

Closing an economy is the worst thing that can happen to an economy. And the1200 dollars we got wasn't free money. It's essentially a loan we're gonna have to pay back in taxes, too. What's worse, 100 deaths in one day, or 150-200 deaths in a week?
How do you get an economy on track? Increase demand. What happens when the maximum amount of people are killed? Demand nosedives. Your economy is fucked. Everything happening right now is still flexible.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

With my 1200 dollars, I'm going to be sure to pump it into American goods. Nothing I buy with it is going to any foreign nation, especially China.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

More protests please. Trump said you should resist your liberal oppressors. Get out tgere. Go to the beach. Then go visit your friends! Why not pop round your gran’s house. Don’t stay at home and try to flatten the curve. That’s just the Man trying to keep you down. Let’s prove this Virus can’t hold you down.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:More protests please. Trump said you should resist your liberal oppressors. Get out tgere. Go to the beach. Then go visit your friends! Why not pop round your gran’s house. Don’t stay at home and try to flatten the curve. That’s just the Man trying to keep you down. Let’s prove this Virus can’t hold you down.
I wonder if J-Mac would approve of Trump's "total power" move of intervening in Florida, overriding the governor's decision and keeping the beaches closed.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

Closing an economy is the worst thing that can happen to an economy. And the1200 dollars we got wasn't free money. It's essentially a loan we're gonna have to pay back in taxes, too. What's worse, 100 deaths in one day, or 150-200 deaths in a week?
How do you get an economy on track? Increase demand. What happens when the maximum amount of people are killed? Demand nosedives. Your economy is fucked. Everything happening right now is still flexible.
10 years of job growth was completely wiped out in one month due to this virus, and it will only continue trending downward the longer we keep the economy shut down. We can't pump money into pockets when we're shutting down the economy and not bringing any money in.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:More protests please. Trump said you should resist your liberal oppressors. Get out tgere. Go to the beach. Then go visit your friends! Why not pop round your gran’s house. Don’t stay at home and try to flatten the curve. That’s just the Man trying to keep you down. Let’s prove this Virus can’t hold you down.
I wonder if J-Mac would approve of Trump's "total power" move of intervening in Florida, overriding the governor's decision and keeping the beaches closed.
Pussy move. Those towns rely on beaches to keep the local economy going. Let’s get them swimming again. Better virus doesnt even swim. Should mandate everyone share ice creams with at least 2 strangers to own the Libs.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

10 years of job growth was completely wiped out in one month due to this virus, and it will only continue trending downward the longer we keep the economy shut down. We can't pump money into pockets when we're shutting down the economy and not bringing any money in.
All the gains made by a Democrat once again squandered by a Republican.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

You can work around the economic effect of quarantine. The key is keeping people secure. One thing you can’t do is bring dead people back to life. Their piece of the economic puzzle? Wiped out. Flexibility vs. inflexibility.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
Pussy move. Those towns rely on beaches to keep the local economy going. Let’s get them swimming again. Better virus doesnt even swim. Should mandate everyone share ice creams with at least 2 strangers to own the Libs.
I don't really see this as a left vs. right situation. And on the contrary, libs have been defending China, who are fully responsible for the creation and worldwide spread of this thing. Everyone that has gotten ill and/or died is because of China and the blatant cover-up by the WHO.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:You can work around the economic effect of quarantine. The key is keeping people secure. One thing you can’t do is bring dead people back to life. Their piece of the economic puzzle? Wiped out. Flexibility vs. inflexibility.
Again, what's worse, 100 dead in a day, or 150-200 dead in a week?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

Why are you so partisan, even when there's no reason to be?

China lied, people died.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
I don't really see this as a left vs. right situation. And on the contrary, libs have been defending China, who are fully responsible for the creation and worldwide spread of this thing. Everyone that has gotten ill and/or died is because of China and the blatant cover-up by the WHO.
The right does. So let’s let them have this win. Total liberty. Go go go.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Seb, what are your thoughts on Italy virtue signaling and implementing "Hug a Chinese" Day at a time when the virus was spreading rapidly and the only person who was taking it seriously was Trump?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:

“If you want to live like a Republican, vote like a Democrat.”
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:Seb, what are your thoughts on Italy virtue signaling and implementing "Hug a Chinese" Day at a time when the virus was spreading rapidly and the only person who was taking it seriously was Trump?
He spent six weeks doing rallies and playing golf while downplaying the virus.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:Seb, what are your thoughts on Italy virtue signaling and implementing "Hug a Chinese" Day at a time when the virus was spreading rapidly and the only person who was taking it seriously was Trump?
He spent six weeks doing rallies and playing golf while downplaying the virus.
In January, the WHO advised Trump that the virus was not contagious and suspending travel was completely unnecessary. Two days later, he suspended travel.

Credit where it's due.