Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Post by Headhunter »

If you hide behind the ideas of preserving southern culture through these statues but won't condemn the people who use your ideas as a proxy to spread messages of hate and racial superiority, you're a textbook fucking coward.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:I can convince myself a duck is a goose if I really set my mind to it. But it isn't no matter how much I believe it, and I wouldn't expect anyone to flatter my delusions. Similarly, people can lie to themselves about what the Confederacy represented but believing something to be true doesn't make it true. They are victims of revisionist ideas and Southern apologism passed down over generations by people ashamed of a decades-long era of war followed by racial terrorism.
not in my case. robert e lee's statue being removed, and fuckass nazis and supremacists marching in protest are two different things in my mind. i can be in support of the statue staying where it is, without being in support of jackasses who seek to oppress others.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:I edited your post, Zomb. I could see you were trying to embed.
thanks. i clicked the buttons. i don't know where i went wrong... :P
You pasted the entire URL. All you needed was the code after "v="
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:I can convince myself a duck is a goose if I really set my mind to it.
No shit.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:I can convince myself a duck is a goose if I really set my mind to it. But it isn't no matter how much I believe it, and I wouldn't expect anyone to flatter my delusions. Similarly, people can lie to themselves about what the Confederacy represented but believing something to be true doesn't make it true. They are victims of revisionist ideas and Southern apologism passed down over generations by people ashamed of a decades-long era of war followed by racial terrorism.
not in my case. robert e lee's statue being removed, and fuckass nazis and supremacists marching in protest are two different things in my mind. i can be in support of the statue staying where it is, without being in support of jackasses who seek to oppress others.
That's fine, but you are catering to the delusions of people whose minds have been warped by a century of bullshit southern propaganda. The South has never sought to directly deal with its shameful chapter and that extends to how people are taught about the Confederacy.

The only person who ever attempted to make this about the statue was Foo. He was obviously taking the piss and having the Michael because it's nothing but goose stepping nutjobs out there but he was the one who made that case.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:What in the fuck are you on about, Headward? No reasonable person is defending the actions of those racists fucks. It's that the statue of Lee doesn't represent hatred and oppression to all. And again, are we gonna tear down any monument etc. that could be perceived as a negative or "wound"?
Would those people with "alternative" interpretations of the statues be interested in standing the fuck up to the white supremacists who hijacked their ideas then? No? Then who gives a fuck what they think.
I like it. So if I go take a dump on Lincoln and no one does anything, who gives a fuck. Simplicity works.
That post made no sense so I'm moving on.

I assume it's not too much to ask for these southern honor defenders to have the balls to reclaim the issue they're passionate about from agents of hatred and racism. Would you agree?
Nope.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:I can convince myself a duck is a goose if I really set my mind to it.
No shit.
Congrats on an entirely useless post. Here's your token attention for it.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:What in the fuck are you on about, Headward? No reasonable person is defending the actions of those racists fucks. It's that the statue of Lee doesn't represent hatred and oppression to all. And again, are we gonna tear down any monument etc. that could be perceived as a negative or "wound"?
Would those people with "alternative" interpretations of the statues be interested in standing the fuck up to the white supremacists who hijacked their ideas then? No? Then who gives a fuck what they think.
I like it. So if I go take a dump on Lincoln and no one does anything, who gives a fuck. Simplicity works.
That post made no sense so I'm moving on.

I assume it's not too much to ask for these southern honor defenders to have the balls to reclaim the issue they're passionate about from agents of hatred and racism. Would you agree?
Nope.
I can't tell if you're noping my too much to ask bit or my asking if you agree tbh. :lol:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
That's fine, but you are catering to the delusions of people whose minds have been warped by a century of bullshit southern propaganda. The South has never sought to directly deal with its shameful chapter and that extends to how people are taught about the Confederacy.

The only person who ever attempted to make this about the statue was Foo. He was obviously taking the piss and having the Michael because it's nothing but goose stepping nutjobs out there but he was the one who made that case.
nah, what i'm doing is trying to make a distinction between white supremacists and southern americans, in the same way that i would between isis and muslims or antifa and liberals.

good call. it's not the statue, or even what robert e lee stood for. it's what jerks are inspired to do in his name, or by his likeness. that's on them. that was where my argument started. and i stand by it. should people stand up to them? absoduxkinglutely!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Another thing southerners often gloss over in their history: Reconstruction was a period of unchecked white terrorism against the South's black populace. You'll hear about everything but the terrorism from that era.

They also don't much like to talk about how homeless blacks were rounded up, charged with petty crimes and forced to work on the same plantations they were freed from under even worse conditions in some capacity until the 1940s. So yeah, their "perspective" doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when they're notorious for dishonestly presenting their own history. So why would I buy the "southern honor defender" line of crap?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

nah, what i'm doing is trying to make a distinction between white supremacists and southern americans, in the same way that i would between isis and muslims or antifa and liberals.

good call. it's not the statue, or even what robert e lee stood for. it's what jerks are inspired to do in his name, or by his likeness. that's on them. that was where my argument started. and i stand by it. should people stand up to them? absoduxkinglutely!
The distinction is entirely unnecessary though. I'm not condemning any southerners who have been hoodwinked by this line of thinking, I feel sorry for them. They're victims of a region too ashamed to honestly examine its own past.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:Another thing southerners often gloss over in their history: Reconstruction was a period of unchecked white terrorism against the South's black populace. You'll hear about everything but the terrorism from that era.

They also don't much like to talk about how homeless blacks were rounded up, charged with petty crimes and forced to work on the same plantations they were freed from under even worse conditions in some capacity until the 1940s. So yeah, their "perspective" doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when they're notorious for dishonestly presenting their own history. So why would I buy the "southern honor defender" line of crap?
You don't have to share their perspective. IMAGINE THAT!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Another thing southerners often gloss over in their history: Reconstruction was a period of unchecked white terrorism against the South's black populace. You'll hear about everything but the terrorism from that era.

And you don't have to share the perspective that ducks are in fact geese. And you're an asshole if you try to tear down that perspective.

Stop pussyfooting around with this "all perspectives matter" crap. They don't, that perspective is spawned from bullshit and fairy tales. Sorry your tolerance for bullshit is so high.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I've decided that the swastika is a symbol that represents the excellence of the Denver Broncos.

You can't tell me I'm wrong, it's my perspective!
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

And you don't have to share the perspective that ducks are in fact geese. And you're an asshole if you try to tear down that perspective.

Stop pussyfooting around with this "all perspectives matter" crap. They don't, that perspective is spawned from bullshit and fairy tales. Sorry your tolerance for bullshit is so high.
I never once thought Robert E. Lee represented hatred and oppression, sorry for that.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

The distinction is entirely unnecessary though. I'm not condemning any southerners who have been hoodwinked by this line of thinking, I feel sorry for them. They're victims of a region too ashamed to honestly examine its own past.
by what line of thinking? history should be examined honestly. or else we're doomed to repeat and all that crap.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

I never once thought Robert E. Lee represented hatred and oppression, sorry for that.
You never once thought the Confederate States of America represented hatred and oppression? Expand on that.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

by what line of thinking? history should be examined honestly. or else we're doomed to repeat and all that crap.
Southerners have presented a fantasized image of the 19th century South for more than a century. It's lies. Not perspective. Lies.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I think it's actually offensive that people want to give southern apologism, revisionism and lies a seat at the historical table when the end result of that has been greater tolerance of oppression and continued wealth disparity.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

You never once thought the Confederate States of America represented hatred and oppression? Expand on that.
I said Robert E. Lee. And nope, you ain't gonna care anyways, remember?