What Are You Reading

You can talk about anything here
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Started the final Dark Tower last night.

Was surprised he took Callaghan out so quick, that was disappointing.
Most people seem to hate the last book. There's alot that isn't great, but I think the actual ending is perfect.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I feel safe jumping the gun early and saying The Drawing of the Three is my favorite of the Dark Tower books lol. Which is one I read previously anyway.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I'm reading Just Mercy at my brother's insistence. About a 100 pages in and it's interesting so far.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Almost halfway into Dark Tower 7, and all I can say is there's been about 200 pages of word-vomit. This ending better be good :P
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Almost halfway into Dark Tower 7, and all I can say is there's been about 200 pages of word-vomit. This ending better be good :P
You'll hate it. :p
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Almost halfway into Dark Tower 7, and all I can say is there's been about 200 pages of word-vomit. This ending better be good :P
You'll hate it. :p
lol ah fuck

Was really hoping it would get past this glut of over-planning/explaining-yet-managing-to-be-less-interesting-than-instruction-manuals that's been going on, and get back to some kind of narrative. I left off right when something happens to Eddie, and I didn't feel a thing, partially because it happened so fast after all the word-vomit, and the other part because Eddie hasn't felt like Eddie since book 3 :/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:lol ah fuck

Was really hoping it would get past this glut of over-planning/explaining-yet-managing-to-be-less-interesting-than-instruction-manuals that's been going on, and get back to some kind of narrative. I left off right when something happens to Eddie, and I didn't feel a thing, partially because it happened so fast after all the word-vomit, and the other part because Eddie hasn't felt like Eddie since book 3 :/
I mean, you could like it, I do, but chances are good you won't. Taken on its own, the ending fits perfectly. But after reading what comes shortly before the ending, most people just hate it. That will make sense when you're done.

I really hate that he rushed the last few books. If he hadn't been hit by that van, the series would have been much better. I should re-read it, though. Think it's been over a decade since I've read the series.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'm hoping I don't hate it, I really am.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Last night's session was MUCH better. Past the halfway point, they just saved King. Not that it was a plot point I was digging (overly meta, imo, but whatevs), but it was so refreshing to actually have shit happen lol.

SPOILERS

Felt much sadder about Jake than Eddie
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Had to finally google it. I kept thinking Frank Armitage sounded familiar, and wondered if he was in another book (maybe Insomnia) but nope: He's John Carpenter's Pseudonym on They Live lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

*SPOILERS*

I'd feel weird about Suse turning Roland's head into a real kiss with her given how soon it was after Eddie passed...but I never felt like her and Eddie's "love story" was very convincing anyway, so let's see how this rolls! lol
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Less than 60 pages to go in Dark Tower 7

****SPOILERS****

Of all his 'tet, the one that hit me hardest is Oy. Am curious if there's an epilogue for Susannah though, since she just went through a door, but Oy's death was depressing. I mean, that's good it was depressing, but I liked that Bumbler.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Finished Dark Tower.
Probably spoiler
Or is it more fitting to "finish" by starting back over again?
In spite of the choking hazard word-vomit that occurred in the first 1/3, it did clear itself up and went back to being pretty good. I liked the ending. The final sentence was spoiled a long time ago but I never really knew the context, so getting there was interesting. And I was happy to see an epilogue for Susannah.

Still a shame about Oy though.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Finished Dark Tower.
Probably spoiler
Or is it more fitting to "finish" by starting back over again?
In spite of the choking hazard word-vomit that occurred in the first 1/3, it did clear itself up and went back to being pretty good. I liked the ending. The final sentence was spoiled a long time ago but I never really knew the context, so getting there was interesting. And I was happy to see an epilogue for Susannah.

Still a shame about Oy though.
*Spoilers*

You're one of the few that liked the end. Most people can't get past the anti-climactic final "battle" with the Crimson King. It's not ideal, but the actual ending was great. The epilogue for the others seemed a little too "they lived happily ever after" to me, so I'm not a fan, but I get it. Dunno if you saw the movie, but it's supposed to be a sequel to the books. They totally fuck it up, though.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Yeah, I saw the movie. I didn't like it at all. Well, not completely at all. I like MM's casting. What a waste though.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Started reading the 3rd book in SD Perry's Resident Evil series, The City of the Dead, which is basically Resident Evil 2.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Started reading the 3rd book in SD Perry's Resident Evil series, The City of the Dead, which is basically Resident Evil 2.
Finished it. Seemed very rushed and left out a lot of stuff, but I think my biggest complaint is that it took almost 100 pages to get to RPD, and it's a 327 page book. That's almost a 3rd, dedicated to the intro. Meh.

Started Nevernight right after. Not sure what to think after the first chapter. I hope it doesn't keep going back and forth with what I assume is a flashback, with what's going on in the present. It did that change like 7-8 times in the chapter. I took a peak later and it doesn't appear to keep that up, but I hope it doesn't last too much longer.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Nevernight was sort of a random purchase because I liked the cover art, needed to read more "dark fantasy", and I liked that when I opened it up to preview, it wasn't in fuck'n first person.

Wound up being pretty interesting about an assassin trying to get into a bigger assassin guild, and she's got a demon-shadow cat (I don't know what else to call it so far, but it hides in her shadows & shit), and uses the word "cunt" a lot. I'm digging it so far :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

So I just read select portions of Stephen King's Duma Key, and I'm now reading... Duma Key again.

I've not nearly read all of King's newer material (for my, "newer" means 2005 and up), but Duma Key is one that I keep going back to again and again. Haven't even gotten halfway through Under the Dome (not because I didn't like it, but because it was depressing the hell out of me), but read Duma Key at least eight times now.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I hit a reading wall where I just stop reading. It happens from time to time shame because I was loving Misery.