What Are You Reading

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Just got back from Barnes & Noble to buy the other two Jay Kristoff/Nevernight books. Apparently the third came out just a couple weeks ago.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:So I just read select portions of Stephen King's Duma Key, and I'm now reading... Duma Key again.

I've not nearly read all of King's newer material (for my, "newer" means 2005 and up), but Duma Key is one that I keep going back to again and again. Haven't even gotten halfway through Under the Dome (not because I didn't like it, but because it was depressing the hell out of me), but read Duma Key at least eight times now.
I'll pick it up again sometime. But unfortunately it was just boring me so I don't think I hit 200 pages in it yet.

BUUUUUUUUUT after chunks of the later half of the Dark Tower series, I think I'm more warmed up to taking it on again. And Insomnia. I should give that another go too.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I'll pick it up again sometime. But unfortunately it was just boring me so I don't think I hit 200 pages in it yet.

BUUUUUUUUUT after chunks of the later half of the Dark Tower series, I think I'm more warmed up to taking it on again. And Insomnia. I should give that another go too.
I love Insomnia. It has alot of Dark Tower references, too, which you'll notice now that you've read them.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Just finished reading Steve Alten's The Meg. Pretty different from the movie, and not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Kinda mixed. Like I wish there was some more of the science in the film, but the film was way more fun to go through, and did better characterization (which is funny because I originally didn't think there was much depth to the characters in the movie, but the book they're even more shallow lol).

Gonna read Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking next.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Reading King's Desperation for the first time since something like sixth grade. Enjoying it so far. I recall not liking some portions toward the end, but for the time being, having a good time.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I was expecting Dead Witch Walking to be yet another Urban Fantasy First Person POV story with a drab/egotistical narrator, like the Dresdon Files and Mooncursed, but...this is actually pretty good. And I can't put my finger on why. A plot hasn't really surfaced in 70 pages, but I'm engaged in the main character's plight of "breaking out on her own".

Also, there was a chick leprechaun evading taxes in the beginning. I don't know if she comes back, but that was a fun detail :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Dead Witch Walking was decent. Unsure if I'd continue the series, but definitely more promise than the Patricia Brigg's Mercy series.

Also read Max Allan Collin's Quarry. It was okay. A few passages had brilliance, but ultimately I was just shrugging by the end. The cover mentions there's a cinemax series.

Now I'm cracking open my first George RR Martin book: Fevre Dream. I opted for one that wasn't in the Game Of Thrones world, and it sounded like a stand alone. Plus a vampire on a steamboat did catch my interest.

Pretty wordy so far, with extremely long paragraphs that go beyond a page.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Fevre Dream was decent. Started slow, but once it got to the vampire race lore, things actually started happening.

Now reading Stephen King's Gerald's Game. I'm up to the stray dog entering the house. I've not been tainted by watching the Netflix movie, so I don't know how this will all play out.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Still on Gerald's Game. Haven't been reading it every night, and not even doing my 50 page minimum. I can see why this was considered unfilmable at one point. I'm probably almost 2/3rds of the way through.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Couple nonfiction books I've read recently.

The Quiet Americans: Four CIA Spies at the Dawn of the Cold War --- Really fascinating book about the first decade of the CIA and how things went increasingly off the rails to the point where the US basically got addicted to overthrowing democratically elected governments and made the world in many ways what it is today

Havana Nocturne --- Story of the Mafia's reign in Cuba in the 1950s and Fidel Castro's rise to power
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Slowly making my way through Paddy Whacked, a detailed history of Irish organized crime in America.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote:I hit a reading wall where I just stop reading. It happens from time to time shame because I was loving Misery.
Same here, except my wall has been from like 18 till now, pretty much. :lol:
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I wasn't a big reader for a long time after getting out of school. Now I pretty consistently take time to read in the morning and before I go to bed. Still get that burned out feeling from time to time where I need a break, but I enjoy it and it feels like steroids for the brain in a way.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Oh. Plowed through the LOTR trilogy during December. Read Clive Barker's Infernal Parade in one day. Now beta-reading for a friend that I'm almost halfway through in 4 days :P So I'm kinda on a roll lol.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Decided to check out the novelization of Alien: Isolation. Great game. Would've made a good movie.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Finished Jay Kristoff's Godsgrave, then started one called The Magpie Coffin, and in spite of a cool cover, I didn't dig the first 50 pages so I put it away. Revisited Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption, and yeah I still think the movie's better, though reading it goes better now with hearing Morgan Freeman's voice narrarating in my head.

Now I'm checking out King's 11/22/63.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Couple I've been reading recently:

Satori - Don Winslow
The Axeman's Jazz - Ray Celestin
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

https://www.cbr.com/scariest-stephen-ki ... tent=Lists

Is this Stephen King list, shit? I've only read Skeletons in the Closet.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jmac Attack wrote:https://www.cbr.com/scariest-stephen-ki ... tent=Lists

Is this Stephen King list, shit? I've only read Skeletons in the Closet.
Do you mean Skeleton Crew?

It's slightly different ordered than most "best of stephen king" type lists, so I give it that, but eh. "Scariest" is so subjective, and this site is a terrible place to ask that because we're so desensitized lol
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton