The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jason
Administrator

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:it was using obama to mock "tolerant" liberals. i thought that was pretty clear.
It is. It's story is totally horror. I can't think of what any other story about a group of people invading body without your permission could be in any other genre. Hell, not only does it fit with the Ira Levin style stories, it also fits with any Body Snatcher stories, but since there's no aliens, it doesn't blend with Sci Fi.
It doesn't blend with anything. And none of that shit happens until practically the end of the movie. And it was through some weird hypnosis nonsense. We're left in the dark for like 90% of the movie and sitting through weird family gatherings and awkward meets where race is always the main focus of discussion. Something weird finally happened at the end, doesn't make it horror. And the movie totally sucked, to boot.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I find it strange that as the Howling sequels eventually straight to video, their run time got longer and longer.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:it was using obama to mock "tolerant" liberals. i thought that was pretty clear.
It is. It's story is totally horror. I can't think of what any other story about a group of people invading body without your permission could be in any other genre. Hell, not only does it fit with the Ira Levin style stories, it also fits with any Body Snatcher stories, but since there's no aliens, it doesn't blend with Sci Fi.
It doesn't blend with anything. And none of that shit happens until practically the end of the movie. And it was through some weird hypnosis nonsense. We're left in the dark for like 90% of the movie and sitting through weird family gatherings and awkward meets where race is always the main focus of discussion. Something weird finally happened at the end, doesn't make it horror. And the movie totally sucked, to boot.
Except it's a horror story. So what if the bulk of that reveal is in the end? The paranoia through the bulk of the movie leads up to it. So what about hypnosis? Whoopdiefuckingdiddlydo. Certainly more creative than the over-used drugging. Yeah, race is the main focus, because that's what they're trying to inhabit: a different race. It's not something that randomly happens in the end, everything leads to it. The awkward gatherings and shit, is supposed to be awkward, and he does not feel comfortable, no matter how overly cheery they seem to be to him that he's black.

That last part is just your opinion, and you're welcome to it. I hated The Babadook, but wouldn't denounce it from being Horror just because it's an all-in-their-head story that drops any real threat.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:well, if the measure of a horror movie is whether you like it or not.. then maybe clue does count.
Did you even read my post? What is horror about Get Out?
yes, i read your post. i liken get out to honeymoon, kind of. or stepford wives as d has brought up. it's a slow build, but it is completely setting up for the end throughout the movie. maybe the political stuff was just too much for you to appreciate it or pay attention to the slow build. *shrug*
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Any coincedence that Howling 6 is directed by a woman, and happens to be the first Howling movie to not have any nudity? Even the PG13 Howling III had hairy woman nipples :P

Howling 6 and Friday the 13 part 6 are the boobless wonders. Interesting.

*can't remember if Howling 7 or 8 had nudity*
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:
Except it's a horror story. So what if the bulk of that reveal is in the end? The paranoia through the bulk of the movie leads up to it. So what about hypnosis? Whoopdiefuckingdiddlydo. Certainly more creative than the over-used drugging. Yeah, race is the main focus, because that's what they're trying to inhabit: a different race. It's not something that randomly happens in the end, everything leads to it. The awkward gatherings and shit, is supposed to be awkward, and he does not feel comfortable, no matter how overly cheery they seem to be to him that he's black.

That last part is just your opinion, and you're welcome to it. I hated The Babadook, but wouldn't denounce it from being Horror just because it's an all-in-their-head story that drops any real threat.
It's not a horror story. It's a psychological, race dramedy with a goofy ending. The story finally tied together in the end? Yippee. Too bad the entire rest of the movie had absolutely zero horror elements whatsoever. The Babadook was complete ass, but it still totally had a horror element throughout the entirety of the movie. Every part of Get Out was "what the fuck is this racial, psychology, hypnosis nonsense?.. ... ... Oh... Ok. Cool ending, br0". Just because all that race nonsense finally tied the fuck together in the end, doesn't make it horror.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:well, if the measure of a horror movie is whether you like it or not.. then maybe clue does count.
yes, i read your post. i liken get out to honeymoon, kind of. or stepford wives as d has brought up. it's a slow build, but it is completely setting up for the end throughout the movie. maybe the political stuff was just too much for you to appreciate it or pay attention to the slow build. *shrug*
Slow build is find. Political stuff is lame, but fine. If your entire basis of the movie is to wait for the end, at least make the rest of the movie actual horror.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
Slow build is find. Political stuff is lame, but fine. If your entire basis of the movie is to wait for the end, at least make the rest of the movie actual horror.
i'm not gonna change your mind, so it's pointless to go in these circles.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:
Jason wrote:

It's not a horror story. It's a psychological, race dramedy with a goofy ending. The story finally tied together in the end? Yippee. Too bad the entire rest of the movie had absolutely zero horror elements whatsoever. The Babadook was complete ass, but it still totally had a horror element throughout the entirety of the movie. Every part of Get Out was "what the fuck is this racial, psychology, hypnosis nonsense?.. ... ... Oh... Ok. Cool ending, br0". Just because all that race nonsense finally tied the fuck together in the end, doesn't make it horror.
Sorry, it is. Everything leading up to it was wrapped in paranoia, an element of horror, followed by the 3rd act, confirming such horror. All your "what the fuck is this racial, psychology, hypnosis nonsense?" is all components in his paranoia. Seeing the other Black people there, acting weird, feeds it. It's just like all the weird shit Rosemary would be fed during pregnancy, and finding her neighbors just weird until things get unwrapped in the 3rd act, in Rosemary's Baby. Chris's first hypnosis, under the guise of removing his smoking habit, is almost beat for beat with Rosemary's nightmare/rape. It is very much in vein with that old horror storytelling. It's all there. Everyone else on the planet can see it (hyperbole, I know). You just choose not to.

I won't respond further. You'll just run this in circles like your political debates.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Still can't figure out why there's such a giant space on my tally thread. Tried deleting the post, and making a new one, but that didn't work.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

God help me, I'm rewatching Howling VII...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Still can't figure out why there's such a giant space on my tally thread. Tried deleting the post, and making a new one, but that didn't work.
it's probably because your using separate lines for each movie, along the way? if you make it all one long line, it will probably get rid of the big gap above the table. but that's a lot harder to do the code and stuff. much more messy.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Still can't figure out why there's such a giant space on my tally thread. Tried deleting the post, and making a new one, but that didn't work.
it's probably because your using separate lines for each movie, along the way? if you make it all one long line, it will probably get rid of the big gap above the table. but that's a lot harder to do the code and stuff. much more messy.
Is that what it is? Hmmm.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

As shit as this movie is, I still want to visit Pioneertown at some point, lol. I see Pappy's is still there on Google Maps :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:
Is that what it is? Hmmm.
probably. just take out the "enter" space from one line to the next.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Is Ted wearing Mom Jeans in this movie? Of course, the denim shirt is tucked into it, so it almost looked like a denim Onesie.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:Raw gets my first new watch grade of A- highest so far. Now The Voices
I see that it's finally on Netflix. When I'm out of my Werewolf Weekend, I'll pop that in.
The Voices is good too
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Howling: Reborn

Lindsey Shaw is pretty cute though.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Just wanted to say this: If Jason doesn't see Get Out as horror, then that's fine - he can remove it from his list. I don't see a problem with that.

When I watched Predator some challenges back, there was zero doubt in my mind it was horror. It never once occurred to me that a significant portion of HMF would say it wasn't horror. I wish i stuck to my guns and counted it, but that's beside the point.

If someone watches a movie in October that sounds horror, but turns out it's not (unlike Predator, which is straight-up horror/science fiction, I've done that before with movies like Terror in the Jungle from 1968 and a handful of others), which apparently happened with Jason and Get Out, then I don't see a problem with Jason taking the movie off his list.

Would The Stepford Wives count for the challenge? If so, and at the same time Predator wouldn't, for instance, it seems purely arbitrary anyway.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/