Watching the Friday the 13th Franchise, with Jason

There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but not dead.
A curse on Crystal Lake. A death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse.
Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him... No one can.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Watching the Friday the 13th Franchise, with Jason

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Any opinions on the foreshadowing or the Ned observation?
i thought it was pretty obvious that he had a crush on her. and it wasn't requited. the death thing though... it didn't occur to me, til just now, that it could be significant that both died off screen. that could have been a deliberate choice for those characters, rather than just a different way to do some of the deaths.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Only reason I point out Mrs. Voorhees anyway is because it's such a similar visual and it happened within two weeks of each other. I just find that kind of fascinating.
what all of this means to me... i hate my birth month, as far as horror goes. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:jason's appearance at the end did make for a decent scene though. they didn't do anything to hide that it was all built around a scare though. (but i guess the carrie scene that inspired didn't really try to hide that either, so yeah)
I don't know. Think about 1980 and the pace of the movie. I don't think anybody saw that coming. In fact, the first time I viewed this movie, I don't believe I saw it coming. I knew next to nothing going into this franchise. All I knew was Jason Voorhees was a big giant killer with a hockey mask. I don't even think I knew Mrs. Voorhees was the killer.
saw the boat thing coming? they slowly pan toward her. what purpose did that serve other than for the coming scare. there was no reason for it narratively.

and as for the killer reveal, that you did in your big review. (i feel lame for my little rant / review now. :P) it seemed like they didn't know how to end the movie. you could have handled it better. unless she just got full of herself after decades of killing people and stopping the re-opening so many times before. i don't know. it felt sloppy to me. that's just my take.
The whole movie was set up to tie everything together in the end when Mrs. Voorhees reveals her intentions. Or are you saying you didn't like the final encounter with Alice?
i don't like how the reveal was handled. mrs. voorhees, upon revealing herself, was not consistent with the way the killer was all throughout the earlier parts of the movie.
One survivor left can change the way a killer approaches the last one. Mrs. Voorhees was in the dark about it, because she couldn't just walk in anywhere guns blazing. She stalked them all and offed them one by one. And when she didn't have to hide anymore, she didn't hide.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:jason's appearance at the end did make for a decent scene though. they didn't do anything to hide that it was all built around a scare though. (but i guess the carrie scene that inspired didn't really try to hide that either, so yeah)
I don't know. Think about 1980 and the pace of the movie. I don't think anybody saw that coming. In fact, the first time I viewed this movie, I don't believe I saw it coming. I knew next to nothing going into this franchise. All I knew was Jason Voorhees was a big giant killer with a hockey mask. I don't even think I knew Mrs. Voorhees was the killer.
saw the boat thing coming? they slowly pan toward her. what purpose did that serve other than for the coming scare. there was no reason for it narratively.

and as for the killer reveal, that you did in your big review. (i feel lame for my little rant / review now. :P) it seemed like they didn't know how to end the movie. you could have handled it better. unless she just got full of herself after decades of killing people and stopping the re-opening so many times before. i don't know. it felt sloppy to me. that's just my take.
The whole movie was set up to tie everything together in the end when Mrs. Voorhees reveals her intentions. Or are you saying you didn't like the final encounter with Alice?
i don't like how the reveal was handled. mrs. voorhees, upon revealing herself, was not consistent with the way the killer was all throughout the earlier parts of the movie.
One survivor left can change the way a killer approaches the last one. Mrs. Voorhees was in the dark about it, because she couldn't just walk in anywhere guns blazing. She stalked them all and offed them one by one. And when she didn't have to hide anymore, she didn't hide.
there was plenty of times that she didn't have to hide. she killed them one by one and usually alone. she never slapped any one around in desperation before alice. she never fumbled with the weapon before alice. it was not just the reveal. everyone saw the same person coming at them that alice did. does revealing your name and motive really take that much of your power away? i don't buy it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

gonna try to start part 2 in about an hour, and 3 tonight, probably.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

friday the 13th: part 2 is a clear improvement. the tension is better. the character development is better. the pace is better. the killer feels more consistent throughout the film. i wish that ginny had had a bigger role in the franchise. she could have been the laurie or nancy for the friday the 13th series. oh well.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:I hear ya. But Nicholson made that image famous. If not fr him doing that, it would've just been another moment in the book.

Only reason I point out Mrs. Voorhees anyway is because it's such a similar visual and it happened within two weeks of each other. I just find that kind of fascinating.
Oh, I thought you were trying to claim Shining ripped it, lol.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jason wrote:I hear ya. But Nicholson made that image famous. If not fr him doing that, it would've just been another moment in the book.

Only reason I point out Mrs. Voorhees anyway is because it's such a similar visual and it happened within two weeks of each other. I just find that kind of fascinating.
Oh, I thought you were trying to claim Shining ripped it, lol.
Definitely not. Lol. They'd have to get the cast back and reshoot the whole scene within days. Not worth it for a quick movie blip. Now, if Betsy said "Heeeere's Mommy!", I'd be pretty suspicious that they ripped it from Friday. Lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:gonna try to start part 2 in about an hour, and 3 tonight, probably.
It's too damn hot, and neither my AC nor swamp cooler has the capability of even moderately cooling down the house while the sun is out. Probably gonna start Part 2 in a couple of hours and move on to 3 if I can pinch off a review in time.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Poor Andy. His sacrifice does provide my favorite F13 death though.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

The masterpiece, The Final Chapter
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the modern day stuff in friday the 13th happened on june 13th. which it actually was a friday that year, if google is correct. why did they not release it then, instead of doing it in may? i feel like it's begging for it, given the date of the film and the title. it seems like it would market itself, practically.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

*watches Tommy get excited about a naked girl next door*

Me (to Alli): Why do I feel like that was you when you discovered Skin-o-max?

Alli: Totes.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Twins are hot...but Judy is hotter.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:the modern day stuff in friday the 13th happened on june 13th. which it actually was a friday that year, if google is correct. why did they not release it then, instead of doing it in may? i feel like it's begging for it, given the date of the film and the title. it seems like it would market itself, practically.
Remember how films were released then and how people behaved. Is nothing like today.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Will still never "get" the hatred of 5. So it wasn't Jason. Whoopdiefuckingdoobileydoo.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:the modern day stuff in friday the 13th happened on june 13th. which it actually was a friday that year, if google is correct. why did they not release it then, instead of doing it in may? i feel like it's begging for it, given the date of the film and the title. it seems like it would market itself, practically.
Remember how films were released then and how people behaved. Is nothing like today.
okay. so tell me how they were then, that friday the 13th couldn't have been released a month later than it was?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason Lives begins. And starts getting watered down.