Reign in Blood
Administrator

Re: October 13th 2019

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Zombs, it's all there, at my fingertips. I got more options and more money to buy shit than ever. It's just not that good.
and i just wanted to know what is missing, or what makes you feel that way. not to talk you out of it. just to understand the position. cause i am finding favorites, from my end. so i wanted to understand your viewpoint.
And I'm trying to explain it. All those movies you listed, I'm fine with being one and done with. Somebody says "let's throw on an awesome movie, one of your favorites", they ain't coming on the radar.
well... okay. those were just what i've bought. i have older stuff too, that you're gonna feel the same way about.

take scorsese, gibson, and fincher as examples. what makes silence (or wolf of wall street), hacksaw ridge, and gone girl not favorites. the way you hold their earlier work? are those not as worthy, favorites-wise, as some of the legacy stuff in your collection, from the past ten years?
Silence looks like a boring piece of crap I have 0 interest in. Hacksaw and Gone Girl were just alright. I associate Gone Girl with Jason and his penchant for psycho chicks more than Fincher.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:First off, Wolf is the elite, that goes without saying from now on.
2013 and not legacy, so go look at your collection closer! :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Zombs, it's all there, at my fingertips. I got more options and more money to buy shit than ever. It's just not that good.
and i just wanted to know what is missing, or what makes you feel that way. not to talk you out of it. just to understand the position. cause i am finding favorites, from my end. so i wanted to understand your viewpoint.
And I'm trying to explain it. All those movies you listed, I'm fine with being one and done with. Somebody says "let's throw on an awesome movie, one of your favorites", they ain't coming on the radar.
well... okay. those were just what i've bought. i have older stuff too, that you're gonna feel the same way about.

take scorsese, gibson, and fincher as examples. what makes silence (or wolf of wall street), hacksaw ridge, and gone girl not favorites. the way you hold their earlier work? are those not as worthy, favorites-wise, as some of the legacy stuff in your collection, from the past ten years?
Silence looks like a boring piece of crap I have 0 interest in. Hacksaw and Gone Girl were just alright. I associate Gone Girl with Jason and his penchant for psycho chicks more than Fincher.
so you just aren't as invested or interested, i guess. not because of distaste for superhero or legacy film, but for film in general. that bites. i hope you find your way back, at some point.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:Gone Girl was just alright.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

so you just aren't as invested or interested, i guess. not because of distaste for superhero or legacy film, but for film in general. that bites. i hope you find your way back, at some point.
Here's the thing of why I say maybe it's just not my era. My tastes haven't changed that much, if anything I've become more encompassing and more willing to give shit a try. Shit is just not finding it's way into the awesome conversations, Gone Girl is not as good as Seven or Fight Club. Hacksaw is not as good as Braveheart, is the timing of when they were made just a coincidence, I don't know?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:

Here's the thing of why I say maybe it's just not my era. My tastes haven't changed that much, if anything I've become more encompassing and more willing to give shit a try. Shit is just not finding it's way into the awesome conversations, Gone Girl is not as good as Seven or Fight Club. Hacksaw is not as good as Braveheart, is the timing of when they were made just a coincidence, I don't know?
oo, that's true. the descent isn't as good as maniac (from your point of view?), but both can still be favorites? or at least both can have a place in your collection?

or in my case, ginger snaps isn't as good as a nightmare on elm street. but both can be favorites, all the same.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

And as we do this dance, riddle me this zombs, people know the rules of fight club. People know mad mel's fight for freeeeedom. Anybody know jack about Gone Girl or Hacksaw?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:And as we do this dance, riddle me this zombs, people know the rules of fight club. People know mad mel's fight for freeeeedom. Anybody know jack about Gone Girl or Hacksaw?
does everything have to be goodfellas or braveheart to be a favorite? is memorable necessarily equal to quality? i'll always remember human centipede, but i never wanna watch it again. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:And as we do this dance, riddle me this zombs, people know the rules of fight club. People know mad mel's fight for freeeeedom. Anybody know jack about Gone Girl or Hacksaw?
does everything have to be goodfellas or braveheart to be a favorite? is memorable necessarily equal to quality? i'll always remember human centipede, but i never wanna watch it again. :P
For simplicity, you could boil it down to something you want to rewatch. With want being the operative word, would I rewatch Gone Girl and Hacksaw? Sure, do I want to? Not really. You know that answer to Goodfellas, Braveheart, Wolf, and plenty more from me.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Group sesh of the Human Centipede trilogy tonight - you guys game???? :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
For simplicity, you could boil it down to something you want to rewatch. With want being the operative word, would I rewatch Gone Girl and Hacksaw? Sure, do I want to? Not really. You know that answer to Goodfellas, Braveheart, Wolf, and plenty more from me.
but you're supposing that it's bigger than you, and your tastes? "who knows jack about gone girl or hacksaw"...

are there more wolf of wall streets in this era, that you're ignoring or excluding to make your argument look better? what other non-legacy films would you like to rewatch?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:Group sesh of the Human Centipede trilogy tonight - you guys game???? :P
is this the worst trilogy ever? name one that's worse? :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Group sesh of the Human Centipede trilogy tonight - you guys game???? :P
is this the worst trilogy ever? name one that's worse? :P
I haven't seen the second or third movies, so I can't really comment on the series as a whole, alas. Such a shame. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
but you're supposing that it's bigger than you, and your tastes? "who knows jack about gone girl or hacksaw"...

are there more wolf of wall streets in this era, that you're ignoring or excluding to make your argument look better? what other non-legacy films would you like to rewatch?
They don't know jack, because who is putting those into their favorites lists? I can't throw a dead cat and not hit someone who loves FC and BH, why is thou art not so with GG and HR? Because they're teh suck, nobody really gives a fuck.

No, if there were I would own them! That's what I'm saying, I am telling them to shut up and take my money. I'm buying Stranger Things and GoT shit like it's going out of style, I got a Heisenreign hat and hazmat gear... come on movies, your move. Our man Gee-Air-Mo makes a movie about a chick doing down on a stank fucking fish, steals best picture, shit you'd think I could get down with? Nope, it was boring as all fuck.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:

They don't know jack, because who is putting those into their favorites lists? I can't throw a dead cat and not hit someone who loves FC and BH, why is thou art not so with GG and HR? Because they're teh suck, nobody really gives a fuck.

No, if there were I would own them! That's what I'm saying, I am telling them to shut up and take my money. I'm buying Stranger Things and GoT shit like it's going out of style, I got a Heisenreign hat and hazmat gear... come on movies, your move. Our man Gee-Air-Mo makes a movie about a chick doing down on a stank fucking fish, steals best picture, shit you'd think I could get down with? Nope, it was boring as all fuck.
you want everything to be as good as the absolute bests, and if it falls short, then it's not even worth a damn at all... let me ask, is jurassic world as good as fight club or braveheart?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:

you want everything to be as good as the absolute bests, and if it falls short, then it's not even worth a damn at all... let me ask, is jurassic world as good as fight club or braveheart?
It don't gotta be the absolute best. Jurassic World is fine for an example, calling it a favorite is pushing it (it ain't no Park), but it was highly entertaining, seen it twice, would watch again.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote: It don't gotta be the absolute best. Jurassic World is fine for an example, calling it a favorite is pushing it, but it was highly entertaining, seen it twice, would watch again.
you're going back and forth now. if you don't hold gone girl or hacksaw ridge on the same rank as fight club or braveheart, then it's gotta be crap.. but if it's jurassic world, then it's fine and doesn't need to be held to weirdly huge standards. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote: It don't gotta be the absolute best. Jurassic World is fine for an example, calling it a favorite is pushing it, but it was highly entertaining, seen it twice, would watch again.
you're going back and forth now. if you don't hold gone girl or hacksaw ridge on the same rank as fight club or braveheart, then it's gotta be crap.. but if it's jurassic world, then it's fine and doesn't need to be held to weirdly huge standards. :P
It's also a franchise, it's own universe and part of a legacy. You're the one that's supposed to give examples of other ones!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Over-saturation also hurts cultural impact in movies. 40-50 years ago, the best movies were also the most widely watched movies and everyone went to the moves.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
It's also a franchise, it's own universe and part of a legacy. You're the one that's supposed to give examples of other ones!
i can name lots of films that aren't legacy. you don't have to like them and i'm not going to try to force you to, but that doesn't mean that other people can't hold them as favorites or consider them to be worth rewatching. the topic was never about trying to force you to change your view. i just wanted to understand why. and you don't seem to know why, really. *shrug*