Jeepers Creepers 3

News and thoughts on new movies.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Jeepers Creepers 3

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:so, then there's no problem, in comparison to superhero movies. let the general public do what they want, we know what the best genre is. :P

also the 2000s and 2010s have quite a few good/great flicks. wanting everything for all time to live up to the 70s and 80s is a little bit far fetched. :P
'
You are gonna present me a list of movies with Harrison Ford, Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Mel Gibson, etc. and cite that as evidence? Yeah, movie stars draw money. That list has fuck all to do with horror.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Come on, baby. You're better than that.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:https://wheresthejump.com/highest-gross ... ox-office/

How many straight horrors did more than Amityville? Again, think about that for a moment. A horror movie that people are seeing in those kind of numbers. I am 40 and there is not one in my lifetime that more people saw in theaters.

For Halloween, there have been quite a few at that level.
i guess my list wasn't adjusted for inflation. and wasn't just domestic either.

you beat me with amityville, but i counted four straight horror films from the 2000s or 2010s that made that list. so pretty good for horror, i'd say.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

You have to be able to separate artistic influence and commercial influence.

Like music, there are musicians that greatly influence other musicians, but what gets put on the radio is what sells. What has sold in the past influences what the radio plays in the future.

Lets say Nirvana is inspired by Mudhoney. The record label wants to hear about the next Nirvana, not the next Mudhoney.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:so, then there's no problem, in comparison to superhero movies. let the general public do what they want, we know what the best genre is. :P

also the 2000s and 2010s have quite a few good/great flicks. wanting everything for all time to live up to the 70s and 80s is a little bit far fetched. :P
'
You are gonna present me a list of movies with Harrison Ford, Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Mel Gibson, etc. and cite that as evidence? Yeah, movie stars draw money. That list has fuck all to do with horror.
you're really gonna make that gripe, when your list also included the exact same movies starring jackman, pitt, ford, and cruise? :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:You have to be able to separate artistic influence and commercial influence.

Like music, there are musicians that greatly influence other musicians, but what gets put on the radio is what sells. What has sold in the past influences what the radio plays in the future.

Lets say Nirvana is inspired by Mudhoney. The record label wants to hear about the next Nirvana, not the next Mudhoney.
and as of now, we are squarely talking about boxoffice success, like you wanted.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

'
you're really gonna make that gripe, when your list also included the exact same movies starring jackman, pitt, ford, and cruise? :P
*and gibson.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

'
I excluded all that shit. Like I said, Amityville is either the #3 or #4 straight horror ever in terms of box office. I personally view Jaws as a tweener, but I won't give shit to someone who counts it as horror.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

'
I excluded all that shit. Like I said, Amityville is either the #3 or #4 straight horror ever in terms of box office. I personally view Jaws as a tweener, but I won't give shit to someone who counts it as horror.
i didn't mention any of the movies starring those guys. and like i said you beat me on amityville. but to your bigger point, there are straight horror movies from the 2000s-2010s that made that adjusted list. so by that metric, horror is still doing great.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

My original premise stated that Movies like Split and Get out are influential in terms of the business, ranking just slightly below Halloween. I would say two movies that rival Halloween level of business speaks well, it is just trending in a different direction.

Also, I don't think it is coincidental that recent popular horror like The Purge movies and Get Out are overtly about class and race. The most interesting part to me is that such themes are not necessarily uncommon, but being so blunt definitely is.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Maybe the themes being so blunt are an indication of society. Half of it has devolved into god damn retards who couldn't get a subtle hint, and now you have to engrave it into a red hot frying pan and smash them in the face with it. Fucking Walmart scooter riders...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:My original premise stated that Movies like Split and Get out are influential in terms of the business, ranking just slightly below Halloween. I would say two movies that rival Halloween level of business speaks well, it is just trending in a different direction.

Also, I don't think it is coincidental that recent popular horror like The Purge movies and Get Out are overtly about class and race. The most interesting part to me is that such themes are not necessarily uncommon, but being so blunt definitely is.
get out and the purge are not the most influential straight horror films of this decade, by your metric. wouldn't the movies that actually made that list be the ones to cite, near halloween? and wouldn't those two political leaning movies not being as influential (by your metric) as other more straight horror films, also speak to what moviegoers have more of an interest in?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:Maybe the themes being so blunt are an indication of society. Half of it has devolved into god damn retards who couldn't get a subtle hint, and now you have to engrave it into a red hot frying pan and smash them in the face with it. Fucking Walmart scooter riders...
where would the purge and get out rank on a boxoffice list? they don't rank top of all time horror. so i don't understand why you're trying to force this.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

looks like get out is the highest grossing horror this year, domestically. but annabelle 2 has it beat worldwide already, and the it remake may take the top domestic spot when all is said and done.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo wrote:Come on, baby. You're better than that.
Zombs really let me down, man.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:looks like get out is the highest grossing horror this year, domestically. but annabelle 2 has it beat worldwide already, and the it remake may take the top domestic spot when all is said and done.
I don't know why Annabelle is so popular worldwide, but hopefully It smashes both those fools.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

when we all talk about how the 70s and 80s were the best for horror, how much does it really have to do with box office take?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:when we all talk about how the 70s and 80s were the best for horror, how much does it really have to do with box office take?
Little to none. But when convos talk about is horror dying and the such, of course it will. But, it's not dying. Looking at those worldwide numbers for Annabelle shocked me. Let's say it cost 30-40 mill with marketing, and then grosses 250+. We may only get a handful in theaters a year but most do good business, because they are cheap to make. And then there are hundreds upon hundreds that go straight to DVD each year now. The passion is there, mediums change, how we assimilate it changes, but it will never die. Horror and Comedy are the two genres to me that will never fall by the way-side, by simple virtue you can make em cheap. The kick ass Action of our late 80's Gods are gone, replaced with 200 million dollar budget superhero movies. Fret not, horror and comedy will still get it done.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

fair enough. i just feel that we've never judged the greatness of horror on box office, but on appeal and acclaim. horror is the weird genre out that box office success does not equal influence or favor for the majority of films. texas chain saw massacre was nowhere on the lists we cited, for boxoffice, but everyone would agree that it is among the most influential and acclaimed ever. night of the living dead is another such example. (though not 70s or 80s)
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:fair enough. i just feel that we've never judged the greatness of horror on box office, but on appeal and acclaim. horror is the weird genre out that box office success does not equal influence or favor for the majority of films. texas chain saw massacre was nowhere on the lists we cited, for boxoffice, but everyone would agree that it is among the most influential and acclaimed ever. night of the living dead is another such example. (though not 70s or 80s)
Foo's better than that.