The Starbucks Incident, the Memes and the Hilarity

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: The Starbucks Incident, the Memes and the Hilarity

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Consistent in what way? There is no evidence to suggest other non-customers to loiter.

*Watches a black guy get arrested* - "Gosh, I just hope he was arrested because he did something wrong and not because he is black..."

You don't see how that sounds like a pity party? This incident is clear cut. Everyone acknowledges they did not buy anything and they were asked to leave multiple times if they did not. What is the problem here?
consistent in the way they handle situations like this, moving forward.

i know how you can twist it to sound like a pity party. you want to make it seem like i'm making it a race issue, cause that serves your agenda and bias'.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:If this is a race issue, I think we see it in the people who think so low of black people to assume they cannot obey the basic rules of civilized society. Like, "Oh, common courtesy doesn't apply to black people, they don't know any better...".
it only becomes a real race issue, if the people in charge of that starbucks are shown to handle a couple of white guys, not ordering right away, differently than they did here. the media and politicians like to make everything into an issue, whatever kind of issue they feel like they have the best chance of.

and you like that too, cause it serves your agenda.
My agenda is treating people equal. What is yours? Giving folks special treatment and making excuses for them because they have darker skin? We are all pink on the inside!

Do you think the black manager who called the police was racist against the black people? How about the black cop who arrested them? How about the black police chief who said they had no choice when the guys weren't customers and didn't leave when asked, even after the police asked.
again, you want to turn this on me. because i'm liberal, so any time i have a concern, it must be out of something unreasonable or blown out of proportion. i must be pushing for some kind of race issue, where there isn't one. when really i'm hoping that they avoid actually turning this into a real race issue, as opposed to an issue of trying to use identity politics against people.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Consistent in what way? There is no evidence to suggest other non-customers to loiter.

*Watches a black guy get arrested* - "Gosh, I just hope he was arrested because he did something wrong and not because he is black..."

You don't see how that sounds like a pity party? This incident is clear cut. Everyone acknowledges they did not buy anything and they were asked to leave multiple times if they did not. What is the problem here?

i know how you can twist it to sound like a pity party. you want to make it seem like i'm making it a race issue, cause that serves your agenda and bias'.
My agenda is equality. What is yours? My bias is common sense. What is yours?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:If this is a race issue, I think we see it in the people who think so low of black people to assume they cannot obey the basic rules of civilized society. Like, "Oh, common courtesy doesn't apply to black people, they don't know any better...".
it only becomes a real race issue, if the people in charge of that starbucks are shown to handle a couple of white guys, not ordering right away, differently than they did here. the media and politicians like to make everything into an issue, whatever kind of issue they feel like they have the best chance of.

My agenda is treating people equal. What is yours? Giving folks special treatment and making excuses for them because they have darker skin? We are all pink on the inside!

Do you think the black manager who called the police was racist against the black people? How about the black cop who arrested them? How about the black police chief who said they had no choice when the guys weren't customers and didn't leave when asked, even after the police asked.
again, you want to turn this on me. because i'm liberal, so any time i have a concern, it must be out of something unreasonable or blown out of proportion. i must be pushing for some kind of race issue, where there isn't one. when really i'm hoping that they avoid actually turning this into a real race issue, as opposed to an issue of trying to use identity politics against people.
What is the "concern" here? My biggest concern is the people making it seem like common courtesy is somehow thrown out the window when the people involved are black. THAT is horrible.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

My agenda is equality. What is yours? My bias is common sense. What is yours?
okay, fair. if you think my agenda is not equality. show me where you got that from? where did i say that these customers should be treated differently than other customers in that situation?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

What is the "concern" here? My biggest concern is the people making it seem like common courtesy is somehow thrown out the window when the people involved are black. THAT is horrible.
you want so badly for me to be saying anything similar to what you just laid out, that you aren't actually reading what i have been saying. that is agenda. that is bias. that is horrible, to quote you. :P
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:What a ridiculous story this is.
I don't even have a clue what's going on, lol. From y'all's comments, if they were asked to purchase something and didn't, then the manager was right to ask them to leave. On the other hand, we have meetings all the time in food joints and usually have to wait on one or two people. We tell the manager, and have never had a problem or have been asked to leave whilst waiting on said people.

Is there a good link to get the whole story?
You would not order a drink in a very busy place that sells drinks while you wait and are occupying tables meant for customers?
Of course Foo, I would. Jesus. I just wanted to know how long they were in the establishment, etc. Details.
Does it matter how long? Ever go to a busy place for Valentines or Mother's Day? Ever been to a restaurant that will ONLY seat entire parties? I have been to dozens like that If you reserve a table for four and two are there, you wait for all four.
When I have time tonight, I will look up the details myself.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

and he made it an anti-cop thing. same as the black guys made it a racist thing. but good for starbucks being consistent, with the bathroom thing at least. something which none of us even discussed or debated at all, but yeah. so far, so good.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

also... apparently, a reporter visited the starbucks and she was able to use the bathroom without a purchase, according to the article. interesting.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:also... apparently, a reporter visited the starbucks and she was able to use the bathroom without a purchase, according to the article. interesting.
So they were anti-cop?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:also... apparently, a reporter visited the starbucks and she was able to use the bathroom without a purchase, according to the article. interesting.
So they were anti-cop?
yeah, if they were also racist. you tell me.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
So they were anti-cop?
Methinks a Philadelphia Starbucks would be pointless if they were racist as they would have hardly any customers or employees.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Wear a MAGA hat in there if you want to see some real bigotry.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
So they were anti-cop?
Methinks a Philadelphia Starbucks would be pointless if they were racist as they would have hardly any customers or employees.
so, they're anti-cop for having a policy that also affects non-cops? i don't know. again, you tell me.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

But which bathroom did they want to use?!
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The media has such a blood lust for anything that may involve race that they can exploit for ratings that they have taken something as stupid as this and made it a national story.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

It’s not just the media though. The Starbucks and it’s staff made a change because of it.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:It’s not just the media though. The Starbucks and it’s staff made a change because of it.
What is the change? Treat blacks different because they will get offended and yell the loudest?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

first step to trigger conservatives: make any kind of change at all, as a result of something involving a minority.

also, made a change, reportedly, because of the police officer refusal. but that doesn't serve your bias.