Music Fiend

Rock, Country, Rap, Classical, Oldies, German Industrial. Anything you fancy sharing with us.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Music Fiend

Post by zombie »

i really should give fleetwood mac and stevie nicks a better chance, so where do i start? give me the hits? :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:i really should give fleetwood mac and stevie nicks a better chance, so where do i start? give me the hits? :P
Are you aware of the Rumours album and the story behind it? :mrgreen:
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:i really should give fleetwood mac and stevie nicks a better chance, so where do i start? give me the hits? :P
i'm aware of the album, in generality, but probably not the story.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
i'm aware of the album, in generality, but probably not the story.
I went on a little tirade a few weeks ago about it. Saying since Hollywood seems to be transfixed with making Biopics now (Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman, Blinded by the Light), the one they need to do more than any other is a Fleetwood Mac movie during the Rumours period. I'll copy and paste what I said about it...

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham (Lindsey is the lead guitarist/vocalist) were in a relationship for years, even had their own group that never really made it big called Buckingham Nicks. Wasn't too successful, but they both ended up joining this group called Fleetwood Mac and the combination of those five musicians just skyrocketed all their fame. As they were making the Rumours album, there was conflict in the band with everybody. Stevie Nicks left Lindsey Buckingham, eventually hooking up with the drummer, Mick Fleetwood, who was going through his own divorce because his wife cheated on him. Christine McVie and John McVie are both members of the band and were going through a rough divorce and a lot of those songs on Rumours were written to each other, about each other.

Go Your Own Way was written by Lindsey Buckingham, addressing Stevie Nicks leaving him and eventually hooking up with Mick Fleetwood. The line "packing up, shacking up's all you wanna do" crushed Stevie Nicks pretty bad, and it made her so pissed off because she doesn't see it that way and thought he was just lashing out at her because he isn't over the breakup. So after Lindsey Buckingham showed the band Go Your Own Way, Stevie Nicks ran to the back and wrote the song "Dreams" in about ten minutes where she digs into Lindsey. "It's only right for you to play the way you feel it, but listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness, like a heartbeat, drives you mad in the stillness of remembering what you had and what you lost". When the band performed Go Your Own Way live, you can sometimes see Stevie about to cry as she's singing backup vocals. She admitted that it hurt her bad every time he sang that line during performances.

You can even see the turmoil live on stage, and they turned it into magic. Check out this live performance of The Chain. Lindsey and Stevie are on stage yelling the song at each other. You can see Stevie glancing over while Lindsey isn't looking and then he looks at her and they just start yelling at each other. Cocaine dust everywhere, emotions cranked to the max and they're making some of the greatest music we will ever hear.

zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

kind of tragic kingdom-ish. although that was only two members of no doubt.

the biopics are often just about celebrating the band, making them look better. egos get in the way. so i'm not sure that fleetwood mac would let that film be made, given all of the emotions around that period in their lives and careers.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:kind of tragic kingdom-ish. although that was only two members of no doubt.

the biopics are often just about celebrating the band, making them look better. egos get in the way. so i'm not sure that fleetwood mac would let that film be made, given all of the emotions around that period in their lives and careers.
Bradley Cooper looks like a young Lindsey. It could work... :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:kind of tragic kingdom-ish. although that was only two members of no doubt.

also, bradley cooper likely wouldn't do it, just coming off of a star is born. try again. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:

also, bradley cooper likely wouldn't do it, just coming off of a star is born. try again. :P
Hell, I'll do it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

What songs do you know from Fleetwood Mac?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

gold dust woman, you can go your own way, landslide (dixie chicks! :P), rhiannon. i think those are the main ones. beyond that, i have trouble separating the mac from stevie nicks' own songs. so i don't want to slip up and look dumb. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:gold dust woman, you can go your own way, landslide (dixie chicks! :P), rhiannon. i think those are the main ones. beyond that, i have trouble separating the mac from stevie nicks' own songs. so i don't want to slip up and look dumb. :P
They're probably my all time favorite live band. Rhiannon is awesome, but that video I posted where they performed it live is just on a completely different level. They amplify all their stuff like no band I've ever seen when they perform live.

Here's some recommendations to get you started:
Monday Morning
Say You Love Me
Never Going Back Again
Don't Stop (I'm entirely certain you know this one)
Songbird
Big Love
Little Lies

I'm So Afraid is also a good one. But you gotta check out the album version and the live version...

album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3MneMAX9s
live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OrtLxsqSic
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i prefer to listen to the songs in studio version. to my ear, it sounds better usually. the quality sounds better. so i'll go back and check out the live stuff after i've heard it from the studio albums first.

hmm.. so i have heard don't stop. i'm not sure if it was by fleetwood mac, in the version i heard though. it sounds different somehow.

also, you mentioned that stevie and lindsey joined the band when it had already been formed. did they have success before that or no?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:i prefer to listen to the songs in studio version. to my ear, it sounds better usually. the quality sounds better. so i'll go back and check out the live stuff after i've heard it from the studio albums first.

hmm.. so i have heard don't stop. i'm not sure if it was by fleetwood mac, in the version i heard though. it sounds different somehow.

also, you mentioned that stevie and lindsey joined the band when it had already been formed. did they have success before that or no?
I always prefer to listen to the studio recordings before getting into the live stuff, too.

You might just be more familiar with a live version of Don't Stop. I can't think of any famous artist that covered it.

Not really. I'm pretty sure they just released the one album together. Fleetwood Mac wasn't really all that successful either until Lindsey and Stevie joined. She convinced him to do it with her, and I'm pretty sure the band only wanted Lindsey, but he said if they won't take Stevie he wouldn't join.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:i prefer to listen to the songs in studio version. to my ear, it sounds better usually. the quality sounds better. so i'll go back and check out the live stuff after i've heard it from the studio albums first.

I always prefer to listen to the studio recordings before getting into the live stuff, too.

You might just be more familiar with a live version of Don't Stop. I can't think of any famous artist that covered it.

Not really. I'm pretty sure they just released the one album together. Fleetwood Mac wasn't really all that successful either until Lindsey and Stevie joined. She convinced him to do it with her, and I'm pretty sure the band only wanted Lindsey, but he said if they won't take Stevie he wouldn't join.
Yep. They were a pair deal.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

She didn't think about that pair deal when she had Mick's cock inside her...
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:She didn't think about that pair deal when she had Mick's cock inside her...
LOL

Brutal
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Don't blame him for even trying :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jammin' before shower/bed.

Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

If Fleetwood Mac weren't all banging and breaking up with each other the music wouldn't of been so fantastic
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Cocaine also helped.