Re: What are you watching?

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Catching up on Creepshow

Totally enjoying that Moon from Cobra Kai is in one of these :heart:
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

So every January, I try to watch a bunch of horror movies from the previous year, so right now I have a list of 30 or so movies from 2021 that I'll work my way through to the end of the month.

Someone recommended Jakob's Wife to me. I'd heard about it, but was never that interested. And for the life of me, I can't seem to get into it. I'm about an hour and five minutes in, and very little is doing it for me. I'll probably finally finish it off tomorrow, but boy, while this movie isn't bad, I am struggling.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Power of the Dog
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:25 am Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)
Just a pointless stew of obnoxious cliches
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The Kings Man
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

My Facebook review/rant on the new TCM:

pretty good on the carnage front...but there's quite a bit of misfires too. Other than the main girl (I think she's from Eight Grade, but I didn't check), all the fodder kids are terrible characters. Like, unintentionally parody of woke-culture terrible. So terrible even when they died, it didn't even feel like relief. But hey, if you can stomach the first act and wait patiently for the carnage candy, it at least delivers on that front. It's not the worst in the series of constant messy reboots, I can think of at least three I think are worse than this one (Leatherface 2017, Next Generation, and Beginning). Kind of on par with the 2003 remake, but for different reasons. 3D may have been dumb as rocks (I mean really dumb), but I at least had more fun with it.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Why is it copying hew Halloween premise?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I never felt like I was watching a TCM movie it was more a generic slasher with Syfy channel CGI gore.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:16 am Why is it copying hew Halloween premise?
I'm guessing because it was such a success.

Here it felt squeezed in last minute, and didn't even amount to anything except runtime padding.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:13 am I never felt like I was watching a TCM movie it was more a generic slasher with Syfy channel CGI gore.
Hell I suspect it was a repurposed script.

Though I think the gore and violence was pretty damn good.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I would think wokeness would work in a movie like this' favor. Slashers are always dispatching stereotypical fodder, these fucking woke kids today are prime for it. And yet, people still saying it sucks a butt.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:07 pm I would think wokeness would work in a movie like this' favor. Slashers are always dispatching stereotypical fodder, these fucking woke kids today are prime for it. And yet, people still saying it sucks a butt.
It's because they threw everything and the kitchen sink related to wokeness it was wokeness overload. That's why I refer to it as unintentional parody. And I don't mind wokeness, when it's done natural and subtle. This was ridiculous.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

*removes new TCM movie from queue....cries*
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jmac Attack wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:26 am *removes new TCM movie from queue....cries*
Sizeable percentage of people love it
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Tiggnutz wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:20 am
Jmac Attack wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:26 am *removes new TCM movie from queue....cries*
Sizeable percentage of people love it
"Wokeness" has been a part of movies and television for decades now. But everything has to be fucking woke today. And like D said, in my own words, forced wokeness is fucking annoying and unnecessary. I can't even get good comedies anymore. Now they fuckin with my horror. ;-|
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the movie feels anti-woke to me. the "woke" characters are all stereotypes, severely unlikable, and one note. the character who is almost marginally likable keeps her head down and doesn't really participate with the "woke" characters.

it's still a terrible film. but terrible films did exist before "woke" came along. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:27 am the movie feels anti-woke to me. the "woke" characters are all stereotypes, severely unlikable, and one note. the character who is almost marginally likable keeps her head down and doesn't really participate with the "woke" characters.

it's still a terrible film. but terrible films did exist before "woke" came along. :P
I think the characters and plot are so shitty that it would almost seem to have to be woke satire but in fact its just really really shitty writing top to bottom.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:27 am the movie feels anti-woke to me. the "woke" characters are all stereotypes, severely unlikable, and one note. the character who is almost marginally likable keeps her head down and doesn't really participate with the "woke" characters.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if it's intentionally anti-woke or so woke it shit itself. It wasn't handled well at all in either department lol.