The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
zombie
Administrator

Re: The October Challenge Discussion Thread: 2017

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:not sure if i wanna continue with the werewolf movie streak, or go for more new watches.
And trying to combine the two is hard, at least for me. A new werewolf movie that'll be satisfying is fucking hard to find, lol.
uh huh. i went through two new ones yesterday. (thought it would be three, but wolfen ended up not exactly counting) and so now, i think i've seen most of the big ones. i guess i could try to find the hammer werewolf movie or maybe paul naschy's stuff, if they're on youtube.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:Dog Soldiers is easily one of the best movies of all time, and for the 2000's, there's zero doubt it's the best horror movie released in that ten-year range.
case in point. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

also, "in that ten year range" ... so, is there something from the 2010s you prefer?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:also, "in that ten year range" ... so, is there something from the 2010s you prefer?
I was obviously trollng, but Wer (2013) was a pretty interesting werewolf film. In fact, I don't believe it used the term "werewolf" once, but it was a pretty fun ride.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Creature from the Black Lagoon
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:also, "in that ten year range" ... so, is there something from the 2010s you prefer?
I was obviously trollng, but Wer (2013) was a pretty interesting werewolf film. In fact, I don't believe it used the term "werewolf" once, but it was a pretty fun ride.
not so obvious, as there are some that seem to think pretty close to that. i'll have to give wer a rewatch sometime.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote:Creature from the Black Lagoon
Fantastic movie. One of my favorites of the 1950's. Liked the sequels also.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
not so obvious, as there are some that seem to think pretty close to that. i'll have to give wer a rewatch sometime.
I've only seen Dog Soldiers once - I remember liking it, but I don't think I'd put it on my top ten of any list until I rewatch it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The werewolves in Dog Soldiers were fucking beautiful. I can understand the film being rated decent to good. But you can't deny how phenomenal those werewolves looked.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Silent Tongue (1993) was a bit too slow for me, but it wasn't terrible. Probably around average.

Next up, a 2015 Sy-Fy movie, Night of the Wild. I want to see it for one reason and one reason only - Rob Morrow stars.

Ever since Numb3rs, a show I really liked, I've enjoyed Morrow in most things I've seen him in. Let's hope he makes this movie bearable.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Can't deny that shit.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:The werewolves in Dog Soldiers were fucking beautiful. I can understand the film being rated decent to good. But you can't deny how phenomenal those werewolves looked.
I can deny pretty well. The heads aside, the bodies were insignificant hairless and boring. And disproportionately small for the large size of the heads that it looks like some highschool jock kid running around with no clothes on the football team's mascot headpiece. With press on nails.

Cool heads though.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:Image
"Do you like my wax job?"
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Sound design in Wolf is pretty bland. Probably the biggest strike against the movie, it's so quiet and drawn out, some scenes become a chore.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The one thing this has taught me is that Amazon has tons of schlocky B-movie horrors and weird foreign ones. Seen two Thai films that don’t even do subtitles well, and a few proper made-for-TV horrors. Most odd.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

All the slow mo action is pretty lackluster too. Jarring going from Marshall's rapid style in Dog Soldiers to Nichols' overly slow jumps and claw swipes, lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

"Marking my territory, and you got in the way." Best part.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:Creature from the Black Lagoon
Its still great a very cool monster. Now my first viewing of The Black Cat. Cant beat Karloff and Lugosi in the same flick :D