Music Fiend

Rock, Country, Rap, Classical, Oldies, German Industrial. Anything you fancy sharing with us.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Music Fiend

Post by zombie »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... fin-44174/ <--- top 100 greatest singers.

agree? disagree? thoughts?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I don't understand how #58 was even considered for this list.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:I don't understand how #58 was even considered for this list.
kurt had a good voice. he just screamed a lot with it, and wasn't accompanied by music that you dig. that's all.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

#58, I said.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

my mistake.. christina aguilara is even more of a headscratcher when it comes to opposing her for a best singer list. weirdo. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

She sings from the nose. There's a difference.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i've heard people say that of stevie nicks too. i don't know what to make of it, personally. both singers sound great to me, from the nose or not. *shrug*
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Aguilera just has an extremely annoying voice to me.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

it's fair. no singer is gonna be for everyone. she has a range that's hard to match, whether it hits your ear well or not. i can't dispute her inclusion on a great singers list. and your boy morrison beat her, so yay>
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

And then Kurtis is somehow ahead of him. :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

and bruce is ahead of kurt. another win for you. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Why is Nirvana always compared to The Doors? They sound nothing alike to me. Is it because both singers died at 27? Did Nirvana get Doors comparisons when Kurt was alive?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Why is Nirvana always compared to The Doors? They sound nothing alike to me. Is it because both singers died at 27? Did Nirvana get Doors comparisons when Kurt was alive?
kurt is as close to morrison as we've come recently? who's comparing them? is that in the blurbs? i'll have to go read them.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Haven't heard it recently. I just remember them always getting comparisons years back.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

he doesn't have the swagger or confidence that morrison had. but there are similarities between them as far as singer-songwriters go. i feel like you don't want there to be, because of how much higher you hold morrison above cobain though?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

actually, i feel like billy corgan (voice aside) has more in common with jim morrison than cobain did. but you're probably gonna like that comparison even less. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Could be true. I don't know the Smashing Pumpkins very well.

I can name someone who didn't even make the list but could easily be near #1 in my opinion... Jewel.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Could be true. I don't know the Smashing Pumpkins very well.

I can name someone who didn't even make the list but could easily be near #1 in my opinion... Jewel.
yeah, i could name a few that i think should have been included, but i won't. :P

what do you feel like is the essence of what made jim morrison? what do you think people should consider in labeling "the new jim morrison" or whatever?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:

yeah, i could name a few that i think should have been included, but i won't. :P

what do you feel like is the essence of what made jim morrison? what do you think people should consider in labeling "the new jim morrison" or whatever?
Timestamped of my case for Jewel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oclcrrcle08&t=4100s

I don't know. I don't really have an opinion. He was a wild character who didn't care and lived the one life he knew he could live. He considered himself more of a poet than a singer and was disappointed that he was perceived as the latter. His song writing and lyricism is pretty excellent. "There's a killer on the road, his brain is squriming like a toad" really packs a punch.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:

Timestamped of my case for Jewel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oclcrrcle08&t=4100s

I don't know. I don't really have an opinion. He was a wild character who didn't care and lived the one life he knew he could live. He considered himself more of a poet than a singer and was disappointed that he was perceived as the latter. His song writing and lyricism is pretty excellent. "There's a killer on the road, his brain is squriming like a toad" really packs a punch.
you don't have to sell me on jewel.

fair enough. i was just curious, cause you brought it up. that does seem a good summation.