Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: Random Political Comments

Post by Tiggnutz »

Historic mandate :lol:
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The only mandate was “We’re done with Trump”. Absolutely terrible showing in congressional races.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Hey, if Trump can say his was a landslide last time when he lost by 3m votes, the Biden getting as big an EC win plus 5M votes+ in actual votes, I get to call it a landslide. :)
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Headhunter wrote:The only mandate was “We’re done with Trump”. Absolutely terrible showing in congressional races.
To be fair, Doug Jones didn't stand a chance running against a former football coach (He would have lost by an even bigger margin if it had been against a former Alabama football coach instead of Auburn). The only reason Jones won the seat was that he was running against a creep and the creep got outed to a degree that a few voters couldn't claim plausible deniability when voting for the creep. He *barely* won the seat against the creep, too.

Seriously, a college football coach with a brain injury that left them barely functioning would have been voted in long before Jones got another shot in the senate, at least unless the coach got outed for sexual assault on a teenager, then Jones might have won by like a half of a percentage point, but probably not. Their loyalty is pretty much God then college football coaches then it splits depending on county.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Dream wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The only mandate was “We’re done with Trump”. Absolutely terrible showing in congressional races.
To be fair, Doug Jones didn't stand a chance running against a former football coach (He would have lost by an even bigger margin if it had been against a former Alabama football coach instead of Auburn). The only reason Jones won the seat was that he was running against a creep and the creep got outed to a degree that a few voters couldn't claim plausible deniability when voting for the creep. He *barely* won the seat against the creep, too.

Seriously, a college football coach with a brain injury that left them barely functioning would have been voted in long before Jones got another shot in the senate, at least unless the coach got outed for sexual assault on a teenager, then Jones might have won by like a half of a percentage point, but probably not. Their loyalty is pretty much God then college football coaches then it splits depending on county.
Yeah I wasn’t betting on Jones retaining his seat. Having a Democrat represent any Deep South state in the Senate at this point is really asking a lot. I was hoping you could get some Roll Tide voters to fuck over Tuberville but I don’t think that dynamic would ever really play out that way since Bama is big brother in that rivalry. I would think it would be more likely for Auburn fans to fuck over a Bama coach.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

showa58taro wrote:Hey, if Trump can say his was a landslide last time when he lost by 3m votes, the Biden getting as big an EC win plus 5M votes+ in actual votes, I get to call it a landslide. :)
It was a pretty convincing win. Voters made it clear the priority was to get Trump out and they got it done. A lot of reason to celebrate that. But sadly Mitch McConnell remains the most critical figure in our politics. Even if you get the upset wins for Ossoff and Warnack in Georgia, you still have that West Virginia senator Manchin who frequently votes with Republicans and would be a Republican in a state that isn’t West fuckin’ Virginia. Republicans will also continue to control the redistricting process. As it stands it’s very likely Republicans take back the House in 2022.

Our population leans center-left but our institutions are firmly center-right and extremely difficult for liberals to work around.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Statehood for DC + Puerto Rico is really the only thing Democrats can do to overcome the built in advantages for red states in the Senate. It’s essentially Republicans having a touchdown lead before the game starts.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Headhunter wrote:
Dream wrote:

Yeah I wasn’t betting on Jones retaining his seat. Having a Democrat represent any Deep South state in the Senate at this point is really asking a lot. I was hoping you could get some Roll Tide voters to fuck over Tuberville but I don’t think that dynamic would ever really play out that way since Bama is big brother in that rivalry. I would think it would be more likely for Auburn fans to fuck over a Bama coach.
Nope. They will take even a hated football rivalry coach over a democrat, lol. I have a friend down there that is currently being called an unchristian traitor for daring to vote for the guy who wasn't doing a bad job over a football coach. They'll fight even harder for Republican rule if they're on welfare for some reason.

To me it's like working a job for a few years with a great boss, but that boss gets fired because he was costing the company too much money by adhering to labor laws and paying overtime while looking out for the well-being of his employees. Then a new boss comes in that mandates off-the-clock overtime and won't grant vacation time, ever, meaning you lose accumulated vacation and it's no longer really a benefit, but it's still technically *there* as a benefit and the workers cheer for the new boss with, "Yeah, now that's how you lead! My lazy ass co-workers are fucked now!"

How much do you have to hate yourself to vote against your own best interests constantly?

I genuinely wish politics would remove party labels from play. No one can lean on a familiar letter to guide their way and you either go in to vote informed or you go in and flip a fucking coin.

Blind party loyalty has got to go.
Last edited by Dream on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Headhunter wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Hey, if Trump can say his was a landslide last time when he lost by 3m votes, the Biden getting as big an EC win plus 5M votes+ in actual votes, I get to call it a landslide. :)
It was a pretty convincing win. Voters made it clear the priority was to get Trump out and they got it done. A lot of reason to celebrate that. But sadly Mitch McConnell remains the most critical figure in our politics. Even if you get the upset wins for Ossoff and Warnack in Georgia, you still have that West Virginia senator Manchin who frequently votes with Republicans and would be a Republican in a state that isn’t West fuckin’ Virginia. Republicans will also continue to control the redistricting process. As it stands it’s very likely Republicans take back the House in 2022.

Our population leans center-left but our institutions are firmly center-right and extremely difficult for liberals to work around.

You're bringing up all of my heritage states, shit on Ohio a little and you'll have the trifecta, lol.

Fun fact: My parents are both from West Virginia and they, and my cousins that grew up in the state, actually think West Virginia fought for the south and fight tooth and nail claiming confederate heritage. I've corrected them a few times but it just doesn't stick. My cousins that grew up in Ohio think Ohio fought for the south too. I don't understand the degree of willful ignorance required to maintain that belief when ALL evidence points to the contrary.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

It's true. I've argued with people about Ohio not fighting for the south lol.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

So the new Trump and Republican loyalist goal is to delay certification of state votes and try to undermine the will of the people...they know they’ve lost and are still attempting to steal this election and brainwash supporters into thinking that’s what has happened. Trump has exposed a lot of flaws in the system just by virtue of having no ethics or shame.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

This is hilarious now. Trump has lost and lost and lost again. He basically loses every day. It’s fantastic. 1/26 in court cases. No victories in any way shape or form. Nothing good for him. Love watching him fucking squirm. Can’t wait for Jan 20 when he’s dragged out.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I don’t think any of it is fantastic. Millions of people believe all this shit and they aren’t going away.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

But millions more dont. And all those who want to dispute it are going to lose and he’s going to have to fuck off. The legal woes will then bankrupt him and his family and he may even go to jail. That’s a win. The thing about leader-cults is they don’t work without the leader.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

how do you build a cult: isolate and polarize a group of followers and present yourself as the guiding light. whether you get elected or not doesn't mean a whole lot. in fact, not getting elected only helps to further your cause among your followers.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

showa58taro wrote:But millions more dont. And all those who want to dispute it are going to lose and he’s going to have to fuck off. The legal woes will then bankrupt him and his family and he may even go to jail. That’s a win. The thing about leader-cults is they don’t work without the leader.
Sounds great but you’re way overly optimistic to the point of being naive. His followers are not coming back to reality ever and that’s a nightmare for this country. There will be plenty of offshoot MAGA politicians they will fall behind (has already happened), and it’s very likely we will have more demagogues looking to take advantage of that base going forward, and probably with more competence because anyone is more competent than Trump. This is all pretty much a Pyrrhic victory. Not only did the Democrats fail miserably in congressional races, this country is more divided and scarier than it was before the election, and Republicans are encouraging their base to reject reality which will mean growing disillusionment for millions of people who already have that paranoid right wing quality to begin with.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:how do you build a cult: isolate and polarize a group of followers and present yourself as the guiding light. whether you get elected or not doesn't mean a whole lot. in fact, not getting elected only helps to further your cause among your followers.
Yup. These people are gone and they’re angrier than ever now. This is not something to mock or downplay, it’s a legitimate crisis. How are these people ever going to be de-programmed?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

None of that is to say these morons could pull off any kind of coup. It’s a clown show led by clowns. Rudy Giuliani seems determined to embarrass himself more and more every day and it’s hard to believe Trump isn’t just employing him for his own amusement.

What’s concerning is that they’re trying and millions either outright support the attempted fascist power grab, or are so brainwashed by the right wing media chamber that they believe this was actually stolen. Both very bad!
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

If they’re disenfranchising their own side they’ll increasingly become the fringe. That’s where you want them.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

showa58taro wrote:If they’re disenfranchising their own side they’ll increasingly become the fringe. That’s where you want them.
With things like Parler, they are growing though. These folks hate to be fact checked. Its pretty concerning.