Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Random Political Comments

Post by showa58taro »

Makes sense to expand it now. Keep some balance. I’d like life appointments to end too, and indeed to avoid political appointments really. Not the way to run a legal system.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Derek Chauvin guilty on all three counts. Call that a win.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

showa58taro wrote:Derek Chauvin guilty on all three counts. Call that a win.
Yes! Now down the street from me.....a 15 year old girl called the cops for help......they shot her 5 times and killed her. Wtf. I don't know details....but if she called for help, I am not seeing anything that could justify being shot 5 fucking times.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Hopefully this is what we’ll see going forward. This kind of verdict is good for everyone, including police.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jmac Attack wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Derek Chauvin guilty on all three counts. Call that a win.
Yes! Now down the street from me.....a 15 year old girl called the cops for help......they shot her 5 times and killed her. Wtf. I don't know details....but if she called for help, I am not seeing anything that could justify being shot 5 fucking times.
Omg....omfg....I just watched the video. My fucking lord. Don't watch it. They murdered that girl. Wtf. My wife saw another video in which the cops were shouting Blue Lives Matter at people filming, after they fucking murdered this girl. She was 16, not 15. She called them for help. Wow. Sonething has to be done about these entitled cops. Holy fuck.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Ok.....apparently the girl was jumped. She called the cops for help. But when the police arrived, she had a knife raised and was about to stab a girl. So....I dunno. This just comes at a bad fucking time. Literally minutes after the Chauvin verdict was given.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-police- ... 54909.html
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Headhunter wrote:Hopefully this is what we’ll see going forward. This kind of verdict is good for everyone, including police.
Indeed. Big win for police everywhere, and for citizens. There need to be consequences for murder.

I am still not fully au fait with the legal system though, if it’s the murder of one person how can they consider it both murder and manslaughter? I wasn’t clear on that one. Or is it just a stacking thing, you ask for everything and get all up to the level found guilty? I should read up on it.

And the girl calling police then being shot is pretty insane.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Jmac Attack wrote:Ok.....apparently the girl was jumped. She called the cops for help. But when the police arrived, she had a knife raised and was about to stab a girl. So....I dunno. This just comes at a bad fucking time. Literally minutes after the Chauvin verdict was given.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-police- ... 54909.html
I watched the video and she was an inch or two away from gutting another girl when the cop shot her. Call me unsympathetic, but if you're about to kill someone and get killed in the process, it's kinda on you. Shooting her four times, though, was a bit excessive, when once would have been enough to stop her from killing the other girl. Though, he only had a second to act, so I don't know if I can fault him for the multiple shots fired.

Video breakdown for anyone that doesn't want to watch:

Cops show up, fight mid-progress. Cop sees girl with a knife knockdown another girl, pulls gun. Brief pause, then knife girl charges other girl(backed against a car, couldn't get away), knife girl gets shot.

What makes no sense is that the girl with the knife called the cops, then proceeds to try to kill someone in front of the cops. There was also a guy that kicked the girl that got knocked down in the head. No one at the scene seemed to give two fucks that cops were there. Bizarre situation. Any time cops showed up when I was a kid, we scattered, We didn't just stand around, and we definitely didn't keep fighting. The dead girl was apparently on the honor roll, but wasn't smart enough not to try to stick a knife in someone in front of a cop.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

That's kind of where I'm at with it.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Valerie Jarrett said it was an overreaction to a knife fight. Is it a knife fight if only one person in the fight has a knife?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

was the girl who was about to be stabbed involved in jumping the other girl? otherwise, i don't see any way to spin this toward justifying what she tried to do. either way, the cop likely wouldn't know that or not, so yeah. no way to really spin this in an anti-cop position but i'm sure people are gonna try.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote:was the girl who was about to be stabbed involved in jumping the other girl? otherwise, i don't see any way to spin this toward justifying what she tried to do. either way, the cop likely wouldn't know that or not, so yeah. no way to really spin this in an anti-cop position but i'm sure people are gonna try.
I would guess yes, but she was just standing there, doing nothing, when the cops showed up. And yeah, the cop didn't know who was who in the situation. Cops were called about someone being assaulted. They show up to a girl with a knife attacking another girl. How would they know the girl with the knife is the one that called them?

There's really no way to spin it other than the cop shooting four times is excessive, or that he could have used a taser instead of a gun. He saw a knife, pulled his gun, I'm not gonna fault him for that. Not saying it was correct, but it makes sense. The people going off on this aren't being logical(and likely haven't watched the footage). I hate cops as much as the next guy, always have, but I'm not gonna try to twist this into something it's not.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
zombie wrote:was the girl who was about to be stabbed involved in jumping the other girl? otherwise, i don't see any way to spin this toward justifying what she tried to do. either way, the cop likely wouldn't know that or not, so yeah. no way to really spin this in an anti-cop position but i'm sure people are gonna try.
I would guess yes, but she was just standing there, doing nothing, when the cops showed up. And yeah, the cop didn't know who was who in the situation. Cops were called about someone being assaulted. They show up to a girl with a knife attacking another girl. How would they know the girl with the knife is the one that called them?

There's really no way to spin it other than the cop shooting four times is excessive, or that he could have used a taser instead of a gun. He saw a knife, pulled his gun, I'm not gonna fault him for that. Not saying it was correct, but it makes sense. The people going off on this aren't being logical(and likely haven't watched the footage). I hate cops as much as the next guy, always have, but I'm not gonna try to twist this into something it's not.
Indeed. Too bad most people today jump right into the deep end with the omfg.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I do think it would be fun to round up everyone crying about the police and let them go take out the trash for a day. Would be some good viewing.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Slaughterhouserock wrote:

Indeed. Too bad most people today jump right into the deep end with the omfg.
If this is directed at me, to be fair, I posted my reactions in real time and corrected the info I was given/giving. Something that most people just don't do, out of stubbornness. *pats self on back*
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

And this is why our news is trash. I know....I'm using the worst offender, Fox, but this is why people will jump the gun-

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-night ... l-edit-out

You can see NBCs clip on their page. From now on, I am going to NPR and the like to get info. Fox got the information correct about NBC.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Actually.....since getting sober, I haven't watched any news besides my local news. Oh, and two episodes of Bill Mahers show.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

I think the biggest complaint with the police right now is a pretty valid one. They shouldn't be trained to unload their weapons center mass as fast as they can. I'm pretty sure in most instances a single shot center mass will put someone down or at least divert their aggressive actions. Shooting more than once makes them seem unhinged and reactionary rather than in control of the situation and adds to the trust issues already present in those communities. The fact that they are more likely to apprehend a white person and kill a black person doesn't put them in a great position to begin with so looking out of control certainly doesn't give them any credibility in the situation. (For what it's worth, a former classmate of mine died during a police standoff last year but from how it sounds, I don't think they were the ones that killed him in spite of him shooting at them over a period of hours. Had he not been white, I'm pretty sure that standoff would've ended a lot sooner.)

In this particular instance, the cop went overboard but he also responded exactly as he was trained to, which is part of the problem. However, the girl was an active threat to the other girl and while I don't think she deserved to die for being a fucked up teenager with anger issues, she was an immediate threat which, unfortunately, justifies the shooting.

Kneeling on someone's neck for a long time is a whole different thing. He had time to administer aid to someone he rendered unconscious and opted not only not to, but to also continue with the act that rendered the guy unconscious. So for Seb, I think that's why he was found guilty of all three charges for a single death. It was presented as initial death=manslaughter and unintentional then escalated over the length of time he knelt on the dude and failed to render aid as the excessive time was viewed as an intentional act to refuse aid to a person and intentionally contributed to their death. I'm still wondering if any of the officers with him are going to end up charged with anything as they also had that time to render aid or at least get him off of the guy, but chose not to for whatever reasons.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jmac Attack wrote:Actually.....since getting sober, I haven't watched any news besides my local news. Oh, and two episodes of Bill Mahers show.
Media are disgusting and they absolutely do not give a shit about anyone in any of these cases. Misery makes them money.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Thanks Dream, that actually makes sense then, breaking it down like that. Fully see why he’d be Guilty of all three counts with that interpretation. Just never thought in those terms.

I also agree that the training is all wrong, and combative. But whether there’s enough impetus to change it I am less sure. Still, you have to hope it improves for everyone’s sake.