October 13th 2019

The daily chat room.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: October 13th 2019

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote:Group sesh of the Human Centipede trilogy tonight - you guys game???? :P
I've never seen any of those movies before
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

2017 was a pretty loaded movie year (relatively) but these past two have been pretty rough.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Group sesh of the Human Centipede trilogy tonight - you guys game???? :P
I've never seen any of those movies before
you're deff missing out brah. very kinky stuff here. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

How many movies anymore are fun without being dumb? Lot of great movies I can think of either don't take themselves seriously or take themselves too seriously. And I don't mean too seriously in that they're doing anything wrong, it's just not content that makes for enjoyable viewing.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:How many movies anymore are fun without being dumb? Lot of great movies I can think of either don't take themselves seriously or take themselves too seriously. And I don't mean too seriously in that they're doing anything wrong, it's just not content that makes for enjoyable viewing.
can you give an example of a not comedy or a not comic book movie that fits what you're talking about, so i can understand it better what you're getting at?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote: It don't gotta be the absolute best. Jurassic World is fine for an example, calling it a favorite is pushing it, but it was highly entertaining, seen it twice, would watch again.
you're going back and forth now. if you don't hold gone girl or hacksaw ridge on the same rank as fight club or braveheart, then it's gotta be crap.. but if it's jurassic world, then it's fine and doesn't need to be held to weirdly huge standards. :P
It's also a franchise, it's own universe and part of a legacy. You're the one that's supposed to give examples of other ones!
i can name lots of films that aren't legacy. you don't have to like them and i'm not going to try to force you to, but that doesn't mean that other people can't hold them as favorites or consider them to be worth rewatching. the topic was never about trying to force you to change your view. i just wanted to understand why. and you don't seem to know why, really. *shrug*
That you feel others would also cite as favorites? Shoot. I'm just saying, I show up and everyone says let's throw on a bitchin flick, everyone should see it yadda yadda and you throw on Atomic Blonde and Shape of Water... you're getting looks.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Baby Driver fits “fun, not dumb”.

I’m talking movies taking place in real situations with real stakes but has that hangout feel. Any moment could end in a laugh or gasp but there’s a positive energy palpable throughout the film. 90s Tarantino and Scorsese in a nutshell.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote: It don't gotta be the absolute best. Jurassic World is fine for an example, calling it a favorite is pushing it, but it was highly entertaining, seen it twice, would watch again.
you're going back and forth now. if you don't hold gone girl or hacksaw ridge on the same rank as fight club or braveheart, then it's gotta be crap.. but if it's jurassic world, then it's fine and doesn't need to be held to weirdly huge standards. :P
It's also a franchise, it's own universe and part of a legacy. You're the one that's supposed to give examples of other ones!
i can name lots of films that aren't legacy. you don't have to like them and i'm not going to try to force you to, but that doesn't mean that other people can't hold them as favorites or consider them to be worth rewatching. the topic was never about trying to force you to change your view. i just wanted to understand why. and you don't seem to know why, really. *shrug*
That you feel others would also cite as favorites? Shoot. I'm just saying, I show up and everyone says let's throw on a bitchin flick, everyone should see it yadda yadda and you throw on Atomic Blonde and Shape of Water... you're getting looks.
if i want to win other people over (and since we're excluding legacy), i'll probably throw on something by nolan or villaneuve. or yes, gone girl or hacksaw ridge. and i would groan if you threw on jurassic world. it's subjective. and i'm really not going to be in that position, particularly not with your friends in person.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Villanueve is a good example. Incredibly gifted auteur who has made great films. “Fun” would not be one of your first 10 adjectives for describing his movies. Nolan movies are events but for Nolan the stakes are always 100. Where can we get some more of that laid-back high stakes because that shit done just right makes for a perfect film. You can watch them 100 times.
Last edited by Headhunter on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Baby Driver fits “fun, not dumb”.

I’m talking movies taking place in real situations with real stakes but has that hangout feel. Any moment could end in a laugh or gasp but there’s a positive energy palpable throughout the film. 90s Tarantino and Scorsese in a nutshell.
tarantino and scorsese are hard to beat, when they are on their game. it is hard to debate that.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:

tarantino and scorsese are hard to beat, when they are on their game. it is hard to debate that.
Its true. And it’s not for a lack of effort that nobody has been able to find the balance they have, there have been so many imitators that flopped.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
if i want to win other people over (and since we're excluding legacy), i'll probably throw on something by nolan or villaneuve. or yes, gone girl or hacksaw ridge. and i would groan if you threw on jurassic world. it's subjective. and i'm really not going to be in that position, particularly not with your friends in person.
They still haven't made a good village of the damned, zombs. Of course it's subjective. And with me and my friends you'd do a hell of a lot better with Raw (movie or show). You know I'm right, stop fighting it.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
They still haven't made a good village of the damned, zombs. Of course it's subjective. And with me and my friends you'd do a hell of a lot better with Raw (movie or show). You know I'm right, stop fighting it.
i wasn't trying to change your view or your friends view. i was never trying to tell you what to like or don't. you did seem to be trying to do that to me. :P

i don't know what village of the damned has to do with anything. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

Its true. And it’s not for a lack of effort that nobody has been able to find the balance they have, there have been so many imitators that flopped.
making pulp fiction is hard. making goodfellas is hard. you can do well, even if you don't live up to that.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:Gone Girl is not as good as Seven or Fight Club.?
1) Gone Girl
2) Se7en
3) Fight Club
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The Martian: fun, not dumb, honestly kind of the ideal high-stakes PG-13 film for families
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
i wasn't trying to change your view or your friends view. i was never trying to tell you what to like or don't. you did seem to be trying to do that to me. :P

i don't know what village of the damned has to do with anything. :P
No, I said they ain't really making any exciting shit lately, worthy of favorites. You're fighting it.

You were gonna throw it on, I was advising against it. Better than Arrival though.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

making pulp fiction is hard. making goodfellas is hard. you can do well, even if you don't live up to that.
I didn’t say to make those movies. I said to make movies with a combo of high stakes, laid-back, positive energy. Most films fall under too dumb to feel real or too brooding to be fun.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
No, I said they ain't really making any exciting shit lately, worthy of favorites. You're fighting it.

You were gonna throw it on, I was advising against it. Better than Arrival though.
you want to tell me what's worthy of my favorites? yes i'm fighting it.

i didn't say which nolan or which villaneuve. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

lol the fuck are you two talking about...they’re not making the movies that hit every note for Reign anymore. There’s no cure except someone making those movies, which isn’t happening right now.