Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Is Tom Cruise the Greatest Movie Star of All Time?

Post by Jason »

Foo wrote:
Jason wrote:Not that he's my favorite or anything, but Ryan Gosling kind of snuck up on me. I've been a fan of his for a few years and didn't actually realize it until a couple months ago when I actually thought about it. :p
Fracture made me like him. He is in his share of boring and borderline unwatchable shit though.
Yeah. There are definitely a couple of questionable films he's done. Only God Forgives was shit. Definitely didn't love Blue Valentine. But he's got a pretty decent filmography to speak of.

Drive is my favorite movie he's ever done. The Nice Guys was very good. Gangster Squad was decent. The Place Beyond the Pines was great, but it was put together weird and felt like two movies in one. Remember the Titans was great. Fracture is also where I started to like him. His portrayal of Robert Durst in All Good Things was fantastic. He really carried that movie. I'd vote All Good Things as his most underrated movie, for sure. I'm not sure why they didn't use Robert Durst as the character name in the movie, but it was essentially a true story about it.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:I can think of only two films with Tom Cruise as a main character(four if including non-main roles) that I've watched more than once. All of which are from the 80's. He's just not in films I give a shit about for the most part. In the past 10-20 years, he's basically just playing the same action guy role, so I wouldn't say he's a good actor. But since this is "greatest movie star of all time" and not "greatest actor of all time", that doesn't matter. Movie stars are labeled as such for being able to put asses in seats just by name recognition alone. He does that(for some fucking reason) so sure, he could be.

This would pretty much be my take on it as well.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow, and Oblivion all did well.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

The Mummy was the biggest worldwide opening of his career.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Foo wrote:The Mummy was the biggest worldwide opening of his career.
Well that's just sad, lol. I know Universal was pumping it hard :P
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

I'm probably the only person that thinks Legend is the best film he's been in. Not because of him, mind you, but because Tim Curry is amazing. Plus, I'm just a huge fantasy nerd.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:I'm probably the only person that thinks Legend is the best film he's been in. Not because of him, mind you, but because Tim Curry is amazing. Plus, I'm just a huge fantasy nerd.

Nope.

I'd say that's by far my favorite Cruise movie, with the next runner up being The Outsiders. He's got a long filmography, but I'd argue it being a great filmography. The majority are pretty much average popcorn flicks with those two standouts and he's not the draw of either.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Really? God. That film was pure fucking garbage. Not good at all.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Foo wrote:Would also like to submit Cruise in Collateral and Interview with the Vampire as the antagonist. How many stars have such hits as antagonists?
Travolta? Well, he tried anyway, other than Face/Off I don't think he had any other hits as a villain.
Broken Arrow did fairly well, and he was aces in it!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:
And its domestic opening was horrible here, so yeah I'm surprised it opened big everywhere else. Maybe he lost appeal here because we get stuck with the crazy scientologist Cruise in the media, but the rest of the world doesn't get the same acces.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
Foo wrote:Would also like to submit Cruise in Collateral and Interview with the Vampire as the antagonist. How many stars have such hits as antagonists?
Travolta? Well, he tried anyway, other than Face/Off I don't think he had any other hits as a villain.
Broken Arrow did fairly well, and he was aces in it!
There we go! (And another John Woo movie too).
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

showa58taro wrote:
And its domestic opening was horrible here, so yeah I'm surprised it opened big everywhere else. Maybe he lost appeal here because we get stuck with the crazy scientologist Cruise in the media, but the rest of the world doesn't get the same acces.
Was the big global hit in non-English speaking countries? Or was it Canada, Australia, UK and similar? I'd have thought it was geared towards the non-Anglophone nations personally.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Quick Google and I seem somewhat right. Biggest in BRICs and Mexico. But U.K. also listed as 10M+ so clearly this country was none the wiser. Clearly there's still star power here.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:Quick Google and I seem somewhat right. Biggest in BRICs and Mexico. But U.K. also listed as 10M+ so clearly this country was none the wiser. Clearly there's still star power here.
Not use fancy-smancy economic terms. I was gonna say I know he is still big in China, which is rapidly growing to rival the US in terms of box office draw/importance.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:I'm probably the only person that thinks Legend is the best film he's been in. Not because of him, mind you, but because Tim Curry is amazing. Plus, I'm just a huge fantasy nerd.
legend is the best he's been in, in my opinion. i like a few of his movies, but i don't particularly care for him. (except as lestat. :P )
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I do want to say that I like Legend a lot, and the reason I didn't list it is because it's probably one of Cruise's few big misfire castings. Movie is kick ass, because of Curry, the story, Scott's direction and Mia Sara's hotness. Oh, and chopping off Unicorn horns and shiz. Cruise never really factors in there.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
I still believe he and Mel Gibson are the most unfairly maligned people in Hollywood.

With Cruise, it is 100% due to his religious beliefs, and really because he was WAY ahead of the curve to criticize anti-depressants. Other than his opinion on that subject, in which he showed he cared about others, he has been a model citizen.

Similar thing with Mel. They were out to get him since his religious views came to light. Mel said some shit in tense situations, but so what?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

At least Gibson is on a slow comeback. Nobody thought he'd be taken seriously again as a filmmaker then he unleashed Hacksaw Ridge last year.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:At least Gibson is on a slow comeback. Nobody thought he'd be taken seriously again as a filmmaker then he unleashed Hacksaw Ridge last year.
Just consider for a moment that the same people black balling Mel will go out of their way to work with Roman Polanski. It blows the mind.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i still want mel gibson to direct suicide squad 2, dammit. :P