Brownie Points?

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Brownie Points?

Post by Foo »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The first people to use the slur "cracker" were white, usually northerners. It's not racial, it's social.
But, wasn't it obvious that the guy was belittling my friend because he perceived him as being an inbred cracker? Don't get me wrong, white dudes have not experienced racism like a black dude has. I am not trying to take away from the injustices that have been done to blacks in America. But two wrongs do not make a right. I remember Chris Rock doing a bit about how black comedians can make fun of white people and culture, but if it's the other way around, you're a racist. I hope that makes sense lol.
In today's world, where black culture effectively owns large chucks of cities, why is it not entirely possible that a white person has experienced a lifetime of racism? Being a victim of racism is not exclusive to any group. My fiance is in Ecuador and she gets treated like shit because she is Venezuelan and does not look like the Ecuador natives.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:Rib each other, love each other. Quit bitching and literally searching for shit to be offended about. Leftism is cancer to society.
HEY! I am a lefty, but hate those lefties you are referring to. Do you claim white supremacists? Didn't think so!
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Headhunter wrote:The first people to use the slur "cracker" were white, usually northerners. It's not racial, it's social.
But, wasn't it obvious that the guy was belittling my friend because he perceived him as being an inbred cracker? Don't get me wrong, white dudes have not experienced racism like a black dude has. I am not trying to take away from the injustices that have been done to blacks in America. But two wrongs do not make a right. I remember Chris Rock doing a bit about how black comedians can make fun of white people and culture, but if it's the other way around, you're a racist. I hope that makes sense lol.
In today's world, where black culture effectively owns large chucks of cities, why is it not entirely possible that a white person has experienced a lifetime of racism? Being a victim of racism is not exclusive to any group. My fiance is in Ecuador and she gets treated like shit because she is Venezuelan and does not look like the Ecuador natives.
I gotcha. But I have been with black friends who had the N word shouted at them. I have never been called a cracker in my life. Doesn't make it right though. Which was my point. Have any of you been discrimonated against? I truly am curious. I don't think I have.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
I gotcha. But I have been with black friends who had the N word shouted at them. I have never been called a cracker in my life. Doesn't make it right though. Which was my point. Have any of you been discrimonated against? I truly am curious. I don't think I have.
Sure, my whole life. I have been denied all of the benefits of being a favored minority my entire life. No one lowered the standards so I could get into college, get a scholarship, etc. As soon as I started earning money, not only was I financially penalized as a single male with no kids, but my money was being used to fund the same programs I was denied.

And yes, while playing sports growing up, my race was used in slurs.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

My little chai latte colored children will also likely be the victim of racial discrimination.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Sure, my whole life. I have been denied all of the benefits of being a favored minority my entire life. No one lowered the standards so I could get into college, get a scholarship, etc. As soon as I started earning money, not only was I financially penalized as a single male with no kids, but my money was being used to fund the same programs I was denied.

Do you think that your experience is that of a black guy? I guess I have faced discrimination, but not on the level of not being able to use a water fountain.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:

Do you think that your experience is that of a black guy? I guess I have faced discrimination, but not on the level of not being able to use a water fountain.
No one now has to go through not being able to use the same water fountain. Those days ended long before you and I were even born. Who do you think has experienced more special treatment, you or Jameis Winston? Would you be in jail for theft and sexual assault? Were you offered multiple free rides to expensive colleges? Do people line up to give you millions?

I think every individual has unique experiences. Do I get treated differently because I am a business owner known in my community while some other jackass is riding a scooter through walmart with his hoodie up? I am sure of it. Do we get treated different solely based on race? In part, but crime statistics also play a role in that.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

I would also like to give a couple examples of racial bias that is influenced by behavior, going both ways:

My fiance is a bit racist against black people. This is because she is constantly approached by them. Probably not so much the approach, but the lack of tact, to be honest. An employee LOVES black men and will only date them. She loves that sort of forward attention. Is it fair that there is that stereotype? I don't know but it is a reaction from multiple experiences.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
I live in southern California. Which means I am surrounded by hispanics. Technically I am the minority. From grade school through part of high school I caught shit for being white. It wasn't playful jabbing, it was really malicious. I had a couple of great hispanic friends in grade school, but their fellow hispanic friends did not accept me. I always caught shit for being white. Always. Whenever recess occurred, or during lunch, I was ridiculed and ignored. I remember distinctly wishing I was hispanic way back then, just so I didn't have to deal with being the not-cool-kid, because I was white. I never knew what race was until about first or second grade when the hispanic kids would ridicule me. Never actually had an issue with any black kids, but yeah. I experienced racism as a young white male.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
I live in southern California. Which means I am surrounded by hispanics. Technically I am the minority. From grade school through part of high school I caught shit for being white. It wasn't playful jabbing, it was really malicious. I had a couple of great hispanic friends in grade school, but their fellow hispanic friends did not accept me. I always caught shit for being white. Always. Whenever recess occurred, or during lunch, I was ridiculed and ignored. I remember distinctly wishing I was hispanic way back then, just so I didn't have to deal with being the not-cool-kid, because I was white. I never knew what race was until about first or second grade when the hispanic kids would ridicule me. Never actually had an issue with any black kids, but yeah. I experienced racism as a young white male.
Joking aside your views are more intelligible in this new context.