Exploiting tragedy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Exploiting tragedy

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:"Weapon of war"

Frightens me that you are so cool with giving incompetent government all the power and leave citizens helpless.

99% of the time you need a weapon for protection, the police are there after it is over to write a report about the blood that was spilled. Would prefer that be the blood of the bad guy.
What do you need protection from that requires a semiautomatic high power rifle? The same protection can be achieved with much less destructive firearms. Or better yet nonlethal weaponry.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Also fun is the fact that there’s a laughably low rate of self defense despite the astronomical rate of gun ownership and the manifold increase in unintentional death or accident with firearms.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
What rules and preventative measures are there where an 18 year old reportedly flagged for violent tendencies can legally buy a weapon of war? Not a fuck ton, that’s for sure.
human error on the part of government agencies and you want those same government agencies to take all of our guns away and protect us themselves. there won't be any human error there.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:And the prevention to these incidents is better parenting. Right now, we are reaping what we have sown. Continue down this progressive path and watch it get worse.
video games! horror movies! culture of violence! ugh.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
What rules and preventative measures are there where an 18 year old reportedly flagged for violent tendencies can legally buy a weapon of war? Not a fuck ton, that’s for sure.
human error on the part of government agencies and you want those same government agencies to take all of our guns away and protect us themselves. there won't be any human error there.
I firmly believe you’ll need less protection
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
i hope we find better ways to curb death, that doesn't involve taking away more freedoms from the citizens.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
i hope we find better ways to curb death, that doesn't involve taking away more freedoms from the citizens.
Bah humbug.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:And the prevention to these incidents is better parenting. Right now, we are reaping what we have sown. Continue down this progressive path and watch it get worse.
How long do we keep pretending that these things are not influencing? Do you not believe you and I have been desensitized to human on human violence compared to a person who grew up on a farm in the 1950s?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
How long do we keep pretending that these things are not influencing? Do you not believe you and I have been desensitized to human on human violence compared to a person who grew up on a farm in the 1950s?
it influences, definitely. i am influenced to see the value in those forms of media. a person who grew up on a farm in the 1950s maybe wouldn't.

the left doesn't want us to have protection. the right doesn't want us to have fun. it is kind of interesting.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo going full old man crazy on us. Blame the Telly. Blame music. Blame anything except the actual problem.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:Foo going full old man crazy on us. Blame the Telly. Blame music. Blame anything except the actual problem.
If you think guns are the problem and not society, I don't know what to tell you.

So many kids growing up without two loving parents, dosed with mind altering drugs, and then a barrage of hyper violence.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Foo going full old man crazy on us. Blame the Telly. Blame music. Blame anything except the actual problem.
If you think guns are the problem and not society, I don't know what to tell you.

So many kids growing up without two loving parents, dosed with mind altering drugs, and then a barrage of hyper violence.
lack of two loving parents, mood altering drugs, barrage of violent imagery. maybe those are all symptoms of a larger problem?

maybe address the cause of the lack of parents. then there would be no mood altering drugs. and the kid would be able to digest and handle the violent imagery in a healthy way? maybe they wouldn't pick up a gun to deal with their problems, or even have those problems to begin with?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

lack of two loving parents, mood altering drugs, barrage of violent imagery. maybe those are all symptoms of a larger problem?

maybe address the cause of the lack of parents. then there would be no mood altering drugs. and the kid would be able to digest and handle the violent imagery in a healthy way? maybe they wouldn't pick up a gun to deal with their problems, or even have those problems to begin with?
Why do you think society has become so accepting of divorce, single parents, etc.?

Is there any doubt the Florida shooter was not a toxic mic of everything I just described? Bad family, probably on pills, and probably obsessed with macabre and violence? Why do you think that is?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Why do you think society has become so accepting of divorce, single parents, etc.?

Is there any doubt the Florida shooter was not a toxic mic of everything I just described? Bad family, probably on pills, and probably obsessed with macabre and violence? Why do you think that is?
a lot of things probably. but i think a big part of the root is treating people like commodity or resource, as a culture.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

a lot of things probably. but i think a big part of the root is treating people like commodity or resource, as a culture.
Is that new? People have always been valued for their contributions.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

Is that new? People have always been valued for their contributions.
valuing people for their work is not the same as treating someone like they owe you their work, like they are only worth what they can do for you.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Not to derail the thread, but I just read that Trump said he wants to address mental health. I applaud him for that.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jmac Attack wrote:Not to derail the thread, but I just read that Trump said he wants to address mental health. I applaud him for that.
How is that going to help?
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

showa58taro wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:Not to derail the thread, but I just read that Trump said he wants to address mental health. I applaud him for that.
It's a start.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jmac Attack wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
It's a start.
No it isn’t. Well, not relating to guns and mass shootings.