Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Jason
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Jason »

Watched the Wonder Woman

The humor was pretty bad, But I'm glad it only made up like 5% of the movie as opposed to 95% in Marvel. I overall enjoyed it, but I think I'm just ultimately getting bored of super hero movies in general. Gal Gadot was mega-sizzlin' and had me moist the entire movie. Definitely the main reason I liked the movie. :p I don't think this is really a spoiler, but it might be, so read at your own risk, but what the hell was up with villain #1 (German leader broski) and that gas thing? Maybe I was spacing when the movie told us what the gas actually did, but aside from him inhaling it and CGI taking over to color his face, it seemed like a generic, angry-violent cocaine trip to me. He didn't do anything inhuman, really. :p I liked villain #2 quite a bit actually, and was rooting for him to win, or at least do well, because I thought he deserved a spot in the next movie. Whether it would've been Justice Warriors or League of Justice or whatevs. Or Wonder Woman 2 if they're making it. Solid villain. Not the cocaine villain. Aries villain. Aside from that, I caught the jab at Chris Kyle/American Sniper when Wonder Gal was introduced to the British sniper in the war. "You are a sniper? You are a cowardly fighter". This was the biggest criticism from the left regarding American Sniper. Two years late, and they tried to disguise it under Wonder Woman's obliviousness to all the shit outside where she grew up, but it was fairly obvious their intentions with that line in the movie. At least that's where the liberalism stopped. Thank God they didn't give her arm pit hair.

Overall, pretty good. But it didn't further ignite any interest for future super hero flicks. Still done with Marvel and moderately interested in few DC flicks.
The Wonder Woman theme is bad ass, though.

showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Wonder Woman.

2/3 of greatness followed by 1/3 of "huh? Why?!"
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

so it probably won't make the same money as suicide squad or bvs, but at least wonder woman fared better critically. :)
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

It's not going to make as much as Suicide Squad? How is that even possible?

Has the Wonder Woman character lost mainstream relevance or something?
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

suicide squad made only 5 million less than batman v. superman. i think it was cause of harley quinn / joker popularity and having a big push in hottopic and the like.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

It's strange. WW actually made less than all the DCEU movies' opening weekend, but it's the only one being claimed as a monster success. Sure, BvS's budget is a separate issue, making WW technically better in a profit margin, but the box office numbers by themselves show it's not performing as good.

Though, it did beat predicted expectations for an 85-90 million opening, so word of mouth could very well help the movie. Movies with legs are a rarity these days, the only one this year that had legs that I recall was Get Out, everything else relied on its opening weekend.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Not trying to take away from WW, but the media has funny bias.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I want to say Split had legs, but I think that moreso benefited from having no competition in January, lol.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:It's strange. WW actually made less than all the DCEU movies' opening weekend, but it's the only one being claimed as a monster success. Sure, BvS's budget is a separate issue, making WW technically better in a profit margin, but the box office numbers by themselves show it's not performing as good.

Though, it did beat predicted expectations for an 85-90 million opening, so word of mouth could very well help the movie. Movies with legs are a rarity these days, the only one this year that had legs that I recall was Get Out, everything else relied on its opening weekend.
yeah, i've heard a lot of talk of it being so much more successful than the other dceu movies, even sometimes saying the boxoffice is better. i don't get it.

but after near universal praise, i'm hopeful that i'll enjoy it when i get to see it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:It's strange. WW actually made less than all the DCEU movies' opening weekend, but it's the only one being claimed as a monster success. Sure, BvS's budget is a separate issue, making WW technically better in a profit margin, but the box office numbers by themselves show it's not performing as good.

yeah, i've heard a lot of talk of it being so much more successful than the other dceu movies, even sometimes saying the boxoffice is better. i don't get it.

but after near universal praise, i'm hopeful that i'll enjoy it when i get to see it.
I love the movie, but I hope it doesn't get a Special FX Oscar nom like many are trying to claim now, that was the only thing I could nitpick from the movie, lol.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Definitely has legs. Gal Gadot saw to that.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:

*insert classic beating heart smiley*
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

*insert classic beating heart smiley*
Amen brother.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

One word:

Fuckin' moist bro.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:One word:

Fuckin' moist bro.
Glad I saw it without the wife. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I'll bet even the wife couldn't resist her charms.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:I'll bet even the wife couldn't resist her charms.
Probably not in fairness. Who could. Yowza!
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Patchwork

Three girls wake up to find that they all share the same body due to being dismembered, stapled together and reanimated back to life. The story is told in chapters where we learn more about each girl and how they were abducted while intertwining with the main story of the girls learning to control their new body and take revenge on the people or person who did this to them.

Creature effect is minimal, but effective and minus a few instances of added CGI blood, the gore is good when it's used.

Overall, take the style of Re-Animator and the camp factor of Frankenhooker and you have quite a fun and better than you would expect movie.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Havok wrote:Patchwork

Three girls wake up to find that they all share the same body due to being dismembered, stapled together and reanimated back to life. The story is told in chapters where we learn more about each girl and how they were abducted while intertwining with the main story of the girls learning to control their new body and take revenge on the people or person who did this to them.

Creature effect is minimal, but effective and minus a few instances of added CGI blood, the gore is good when it's used.

Overall, take the style of Re-Animator and the camp factor of Frankenhooker and you have quite a fun and better than you would expect movie.
it looks like a good one, going by the trailer. i'm interested at least. :P

Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

The Mummy

Overall I liked it well enough. The big issue with this movie is the comedy. A grimmer tone would've worked wonders for it, I think. Worst of all was the sidekick. Every syllable made me cringe. He was the Jar Jar of this movie. Though his role was much smaller than Jar Jar's, thank God, he popped up enough to drag it down. Cruise and Crowe were good enough. Best of all was the mummy herself. I loved her look and the movie never made light of her. She was perfect. 3/5 stars.