Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:Fuck me, Freaks is a damn good film. It was not what I was expecting, but man, that was good shit.
Is this the 2019 one? I just saw it pop up for Prime for me and I wanted to be sure.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:once upon a time in hollywood. the movie was fun to look at. leonardo dicaprio and brad pitt had fun characters. but i feel like margot robbie was wasted. it felt like they wanted a robbie/dicaprio reunion and so tacked on the sharon tate stuff as more of an afterthought... oh well.
Nah, her character was the bait-and-switch that built the tension. The audience's knowledge of the real life murders was critical. And I thought there was some pretty phenomenal physical acting throughout from Robbie.

And QT had been planning this story and researching the time period since 2007, no way the Tate stuff was tacked on and he doesn't care enough about individual actors to do something like that.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Another thing Robbie does as Tate that I love is how she kind of parallels Cliff in their comfort level with where they're at in the Hollywood pecking order, having both cases really re-enforces Rick's insecurities. Cliff is comfortable with anonymity and irrelevance, Tate is comfortable (and at times genuinely excited) with her emerging stardom and status. For Rick it's complete torture being somewhere in between. Robbie and Pitt just exude coolness and have a very open attitude to the world around them. DiCaprio constantly feels the walls closing in.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:once upon a time in hollywood. the movie was fun to look at. leonardo dicaprio and brad pitt had fun characters. but i feel like margot robbie was wasted. it felt like they wanted a robbie/dicaprio reunion and so tacked on the sharon tate stuff as more of an afterthought... oh well.
Nah, her character was the bait-and-switch that built the tension. The audience's knowledge of the real life murders was critical. And I thought there was some pretty phenomenal physical acting throughout from Robbie.

And QT had been planning this story and researching the time period since 2007, no way the Tate stuff was tacked on and he doesn't care enough about individual actors to do something like that.
that's possibly true that it would have worked better, if i didn't know what was coming before watching. (and if we weren't reminded of a film where he did something similar before)
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is this the 2019 one? I just saw it pop up for Prime for me and I wanted to be sure.
Yes. I don't recommend reading anything about it before going in, so it stays weird at first.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is this the 2019 one? I just saw it pop up for Prime for me and I wanted to be sure.
Yes. I don't recommend reading anything about it before going in, so it stays weird at first.
I'm probably watching it today, so I'll avoid reading anything. Cool.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

The Velocipastor ........ D

Luckily this is intended to be funny, because it's pretty awful. It wants to be Wolfcop, but it doesn't have the balls to be as sleazy (and Wolfcop's not even really that' sleazy). Outside from the occasional gag that lands, it's pretty awful.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Rabid (2019) ....... C-

I can see where the Soska Sisters are beefing up their visual horror style, but in this case they really needed to choose a lane and stick with it. I'm cool with seeing parallel stories going on as long as they meet up, and they had their chance to, but blew it at the big fashion show by just going off to the doctor rather than have a big rabid gorefest that it felt like things were coming to. There was such little focus on the mutated rabies that was being spread, and too much focus on succeeding as a fashion designer.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

6 Underground ......... C+

Though coherent, and the cast has chemistry, the plot still feels dumb and it seems like Bay wanted to outdo himself in how much he can keep the camera going round & round. I'm pretty sure I'd put this in the better half of Michael Bay movies, for what it's worth.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Rise of Skywalker: B-

This movie was fine. It’s a popcorn action movie that sometimes takes itself too seriously at its own peril but I enjoyed it. Pacing is kinda weird because of how much shit happens in the first 30-45 minutes. Downgrading from B to B- because there’s a little too much of that bad sitcom Marvel humor in it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Togo .......... B+

Willem Dafoe is fantastic, and tugged at my heart there near the end. Glad to see this dog get his story told, given how much Balto hogged the spotlight of that serum run. Charming overall. Was a little confusing early on when I couldn't tell the story was jumping back and forth with time though (I eventually got it, but I would've liked it to be a little more obvious. The confusion occured mainly because Togo doesn't get his name until later, so to me it was just some other puppy). Available on Disney+
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Groundhog Day

Lots of fun as always but the real fun moment was spotting Michael Shannon in it. Turns out it was his first film role. :)
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:Groundhog Day

Lots of fun as always but the real fun moment was spotting Michael Shannon in it. Turns out it was his first film role. :)
Oh really? It's been a while since I've watched it.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Dont remember him in that
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:

The couple in the diner getting married that afternoon but she’s having second thoughts? He’s the husband-to-be that she’s having doubts about. :) check it out if you have it b
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:

The couple in the diner getting married that afternoon but she’s having second thoughts? He’s the husband-to-be that she’s having doubts about. :) check it out if you have it b
I definitely have to.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Didn't mention it here I don't think, but Michael Shannon in The Night Before totally stole the movie for me lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Doom: Annihilation ........... F

When the cast at least has some pretty girls at its disposal (particularly Jemma Moore), not much is done to take advantage of that at all, and the rest is pretty damn terrible. Jason X quality CGI (which was BAD in 2001 or whatever), derivative script that tried to be Aliens, very little resemblance to the game (which is a simple fucking game, how is this hard to adapt?). The zombie-esque baddies reminded me of the shit quality of House of the Dead, and when we finally got our demons, there's so much shitty cgi fake blacklighting that doesn't benefit the monster suits at all (which might be okay, but ugh that lighting). Truly nothing redeemable, and festers among the truly worst of 2019. Worst theatrical release of the year, even worse than Dumbo.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Didn't mention it here I don't think, but Michael Shannon in The Night Before totally stole the movie for me lol.
Weird. At work yesterday, we were just talking about him stealing that movie. Seth Rogan and Jason Gordon-Leavitt basically played characters that they usually play, which was fine. But Michael Shannon is like Michael Duncan Clarke in Slammin' Salmon in that movie for me.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Uncut Gems

Really dug this movie, but the ending was terrible. Absolutely terrible.