October Challenge Discussion Thread 2019

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: October Challenge Discussion Thread 2019

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Havok wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Last good one was basically the Wolfman remake from 2010. I still like watching them, hoping something might turn out good, and there are decent ideas out there...that usually lack the talent or budget to back it up.

Howl was sorta decent though.
Not a fan of Late Phases?
Also decent-ish.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Werewolf horror is like the hardest thing to get right. Like D stated, some ideas are there and can be great. I enjoyed Eyes Of The Werewolf because of the idea of becoming a werewolf from a eye transplant and the ending was cool. Rest of the film, not so much, but it tried.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:There are so many different Ju-on (The Grudge) and Ringu (The Ring) movies that even if I wanted to try to get into that type of J-horror, I don't know if I feasibly could, especially with Ringu and Rasen (the original sequel, from my understanding) being released at the same time, but Ringu 2 comes along, and Rasen becomes virtually forgotten. Just a messy series, it seems, from my little research.
i think there are far better films, than ringu or ju-on, in that subgenre. but they aren't ever gonna get vs. films for their characters :P
Whenever you have a moment, let me know which ones stand out to you. I've not seen a whole lot of J-horror, and I utterly hated some of them (though I looked up the two movies that came to mind, and one was from South Korea, the other from Taiwan), so any new movies might be welcomed.
the two i've found far above any others, so far, are a tale of two sisters and the eye. pulse is good too. i'll think on it, if any others come to mind to recommend.

it might just be that that subgenre doesn't work for you though. some people don't like ghost films. some people don't like zombie films. it could be that kind of thing, here.
Slashers or GTFO. :P

Speaking of which, one of the few Asian slashers I've seen (Bloody Reunion or To Sir With Love, either name seems to be known) was pretty solid stuff. Wouldn't mind more of that from that side of the world. Must not have near as large a hold on their respective cultures as it does here, though.
you might like ab-normal beauty? give it a go. (i know, late response)
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Asian horror just does not get my juices flowin'...

I quite liked I Saw the Devil, though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Asian horror just does not get my juices flowin'...

what comes to mind, when you think of asian horror? you may just be focused a little bit narrowly.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Well, so far the werewolf suits aren't that bad. For the budget, it's actually kind of impressive.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:

what comes to mind, when you think of asian horror? you may just be focused a little bit narrowly.
The Ring and The Grudge kind of shit. Asian Horror just doesn't really work for me at all. Almost none of it intrigues me. I have Train to Busan and I wouldn't mind giving Audition a shot, but other than that nothing remotely stands out or looks interesting.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:

The Ring and The Grudge kind of shit. Asian Horror just doesn't really work for me at all. Almost none of it intrigues me. I have Train to Busan and I wouldn't mind giving Audition a shot, but other than that nothing remotely stands out or looks interesting.
The Wailing is great
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:

neither audition nor train to busan, is the ring and grudge type of stuff. maybe they'll get you more interested.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

This guy holding the women captive in the house is freak'n terrible. The mom and daughter became tolerable, but this guy really ruined things.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

so after the open, of a woman coming into an empty creepy house, they go to a scene of a professor talking about different tropes and folklore. i expect one of the students to gag and cough on pop rocks and soda. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:so after the open, of a woman coming into an empty creepy house, they go to a scene of a professor talking about different tropes and folklore. i expect one of the students to gag and cough on pop rocks and soda. :P
What movie?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:so after the open, of a woman coming into an empty creepy house, they go to a scene of a professor talking about different tropes and folklore. i expect one of the students to gag and cough on pop rocks and soda. :P
What movie?
sadako vs. kayako
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Checking out Skinner with Traci Lords and Ted Raimi.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

30 minutes to go and there hasn't been any vs. at all! :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i doubt anyone else is gonna watch, so it's like kaydako, by the end of the film. :P

it wasn't so bad, but i expected more silliness and more ghosty curse girl fighting each other.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

zombie wrote:i doubt anyone else is gonna watch, so it's like kaydako, by the end of the film. :P

it wasn't so bad, but i expected more silliness and more ghosty curse girl fighting each other.
Discussed it on the radio show back when it was released around the same time as Rings.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

decided to watch lace crater, tonight. and freddy vs. jason later, tomorrow or saturday.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Havok wrote:
zombie wrote:i doubt anyone else is gonna watch, so it's like kaydako, by the end of the film. :P

Discussed it on the radio show back when it was released around the same time as Rings.
were the guy and the little blind girl from other films in either series? were they just introduced in this film?
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

zombie wrote:
Havok wrote:

were the guy and the little blind girl from other films in either series? were they just introduced in this film?
Just this film.