Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Uncut Gems ....... A

Terrific movie, intense all the way through, and yeah Adam definitely brought A game material here, not just simply him being in a better movie than usual brings unfounded hype. He's genuinely great here.

Little Women ....... A

Also pretty damn good. Never read the book so I don't know if any adaption I've seen is closer than the other, but I felt more connected with this one than the Ryder version from the 90's. Also left the theatre inspired to write.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Uncut Gems ....... A

Terrific movie, intense all the way through, and yeah Adam definitely brought A game material here, not just simply him being in a better movie than usual brings unfounded hype. He's genuinely great here.
Agree. I was totally convinced by his performance here. This one and Reign Over Me are the two quintessential Sandler flicks (where he is a true actor). I enjoyed Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish was OK, but these two are the cream of the crop. Still give the edge to Reign Over Me, though.

(Check your facebook. lol)
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The Gentleman

Gotta love a classic gangster film. Liked the characters and the story. Less tight and twisted than some Ritchie flicks but very good fun notwithstanding. Hugh Grant as a pervy PI hitting on Hunnam is a fun little dynamic. Certainly not Snatch or Lock Stock. But I think better than RocknRolla. Still like Revolver a lot myself though I know it has its critics.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

1917 ......... A+

Wasn't expecting it to be shot to look like it was done in one continuous take, but that was pretty awesome. Simple story, but compelling and both emotionally draining and uplifting. I liked how the main actors weren't stars so you can just see them as soldiers, while stars played bit parts. Thomas Newman's score was exquisite. Not my favorite of the year (that's still Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Doctor Sleep is still #2) but it's squatted at #3.

The Lighthouse ....... A+

A masterful art piece of frantic paranoia and what-the-fuckness. Want to prove you've graduated to masterclass acting? Go toe to toe with Willem Dafoe. Robert Pattison has definitely grown as an actor and holds his own. Stylistically feels like a hybrid of Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch. And there's a hot mermaid.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:1917 ......... A+

Wasn't expecting it to be shot to look like it was done in one continuous take, but that was pretty awesome. Simple story, but compelling and both emotionally draining and uplifting. I liked how the main actors weren't stars so you can just see them as soldiers, while stars played bit parts. Thomas Newman's score was exquisite. Not my favorite of the year (that's still Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Doctor Sleep is still #2) but it's squatted at #3.

The Lighthouse ....... A+

A masterful art piece of frantic paranoia and what-the-fuckness. Want to prove you've graduated to masterclass acting? Go toe to toe with Willem Dafoe. Robert Pattison has definitely grown as an actor and holds his own. Stylistically feels like a hybrid of Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch. And there's a hot mermaid.
How boring are they? Both.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

No hookers or blow, or incest so you'll be bored out of your skull :p
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

There's a strong case to be made that this is the best movie year of the decade. 2017 is also stacked.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

1917 also ranks 2nd for Sam Mendes movies for me.

1. Skyfall
2. 1917
3. Road to Perdition
4. American Beauty
5. Revolutionary Road
6. Spectre

That's all I've seen of his.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:There's a strong case to be made that this is the best movie year of the decade. 2017 is also stacked.
2019 is the first year in a while where my whole top 10 consists of movies I've graded an A or better. Usually an A- or even a B+ gets in there.

34/71 though fill up the B range, which is almost half my list lol.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:No hookers or blow, or incest so you'll be bored out of your skull :p
Legit, especially Lighthouse. I know what I'm in for, but you know if I'm just gonna get mad spending an inordinate amount of time watching Edward's boogers dry the whole movie. And if all leads to nothing, good fuck.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:There's a strong case to be made that this is the best movie year of the decade. 2017 is also stacked.
Brohemian rhapsody, it was the end of the epic Avengers and Star Wars sagas, fucking biggest and best year for movies ever.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:No hookers or blow, or incest so you'll be bored out of your skull :p
Legit, especially Lighthouse. I know what I'm in for, but you know if I'm just gonna get mad spending an inordinate amount of time watching Edward's boogers dry the whole movie. And if all leads to nothing, good fuck.
Shit gets crazy in Lighthouse. I never thought I'd see mermaid vag. Like, ever.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Shit gets crazy in Lighthouse. I never thought I'd see mermaid vag. Like, ever.
Spoiler: Lots a cum too
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

watched rabid (2019). everything after the accident was pretty decent. but there have been much better recent cannibal/vampire type of films recently.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

Just watched Midsommar for the first time.

Not my cup of tea. Good crap I was bored as hell. Too long, too boring, not scary, hell, even the screwing was boring. Bodies looked like rubber suits filled w/pudding.
I also could not stand the actions of the main girl.
Was a beautiful place though. I liked the contrast between the outfits and the scenery.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Ava wrote:Just watched Midsommar for the first time.

Not my cup of tea. Good crap I was bored as hell. Too long, too boring, not scary, hell, even the screwing was boring. Bodies looked like rubber suits filled w/pudding.
I also could not stand the actions of the main girl.
Was a beautiful place though. I liked the contrast between the outfits and the scenery.
Damnit. I know I'm gonna hate this thing, but I gots to watch it.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Midsommar was easily the best horror flick from 2019. Come at me, brah. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

midsommar isn't going to be for everyone.reign already didn't like hereditary and that was better, so yeah.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Midsommar is a movie built on atmosphere, which is something I don't give two fucks about. It's well made, but only had one interesting bit in it, and had some really pointless plotlines. You could literally cut out an hour of the film and not lose anything. It's essentially The Wicker Man, but longer, and with useless characters.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote:Midsommar was easily the best horror flick from 2019. Come at me, brah. :P
I don't like the Wicker Man, I don't like Hereditary, I don't like boring shit that goes nowhere. I'm at ya, brah, and where we're going looks like ass.