Random Political Comments

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Jason's Random Political Comments

Post by zombie »

covering for white supremacists and actual racists because they share your skin color is not a good look. you can push back against racism (or blanket statements regarding racism) toward white people without covering for racism toward minorities. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:What is the argument anyways? White on black (minority) crime is a problem. Some people think black on black crime is a bigger problem. Problems all, fix em.
There’s no argument from me that all crime is bad crime. And I’m all for fixing any crime we can any way we can. My point was purely that the increase in violent crime seems to have two root causes. The increase in white supremacy resulting in more white people murdering minorities is linked to a rise in white supremacy and equivocation and so can be tempered by that. The rise in black people killing black peoples is linked to Head’s point about institutional racism that continues to keep the black community in particular in poverty and in neighborhoods that then become more prone to violence and which is harder to escape because of it. Added to that, white police abuse of black people in areas of higher density black populations has less to the Ferguson effect, where a statistically significant decline in the rate of phoning the police has been observed. This likely due to black people not perceiving police as just, and not trusting them. Thus increasing crime and likelihood of violence as there’s lower likelihood of police involvement.

There is other violent crime that is not related to either of those two and which would be solved by removing guns, but everyone is dug in on that front so I can’t see merit in discussing it.
So if white people were assholes less, things would be better? And we can extend that philosophy to everybody? I can dig it.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:What is the argument anyways? White on black (minority) crime is a problem. Some people think black on black crime is a bigger problem. Problems all, fix em.
There’s no argument from me that all crime is bad crime. And I’m all for fixing any crime we can any way we can. My point was purely that the increase in violent crime seems to have two root causes. The increase in white supremacy resulting in more white people murdering minorities is linked to a rise in white supremacy and equivocation and so can be tempered by that. The rise in black people killing black peoples is linked to Head’s point about institutional racism that continues to keep the black community in particular in poverty and in neighborhoods that then become more prone to violence and which is harder to escape because of it. Added to that, white police abuse of black people in areas of higher density black populations has less to the Ferguson effect, where a statistically significant decline in the rate of phoning the police has been observed. This likely due to black people not perceiving police as just, and not trusting them. Thus increasing crime and likelihood of violence as there’s lower likelihood of police involvement.

There is other violent crime that is not related to either of those two and which would be solved by removing guns, but everyone is dug in on that front so I can’t see merit in discussing it.
So if white people were assholes less, things would be better? And we can extend that philosophy to everybody? I can dig it.
It’s definitely be a good start. :)
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

We've seen enough gangster movies, TV shows etc. to know the street code has always been around. You don't call the cops or talk to them. Obviously a lot of that is criminals covering their own asses, but part of it is how destructive the police can be when they get called in to these places, feeling entitled to overstep their boundaries, treat people like shit and show no consideration for property. It's these kind of things that get people to believe nutty stuff like OJ Simpson being set up. It wasn't about him, it's about the decades of malpractice from the LAPD that made people skeptical of anything they said or did.

The relationship of the black community and the FBI is another can of worms.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

It's natural to fear authority to a certain degree, even when you need help. And even when you trust them, did you want to tell your parents, teachers etc. every thing? Come now.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's the cops faults that OJ killed folks and got away with it.

Poor Orange Juice.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:It's the cops faults that OJ killed folks and got away with it.

Poor Orange Juice.
It’s their fault that there was doubt in many people’s minds.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

it was oj's money and celebrity status, and lawyers cause he could afford them, that caused the doubt. nicole was attacked by oj several times, over the years, before the murders, so i don't understand why any blame would fall to the cops, as far as doubt goes.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:it was oj's money and celebrity status, and lawyers cause he could afford them, that caused the doubt. nicole was attacked by oj several times, over the years, before the murders, so i don't understand why any blame would fall to the cops, as far as doubt goes.
That was the rationale that ran rampant. Cops out to get a successful black man.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:it was oj's money and celebrity status, and lawyers cause he could afford them, that caused the doubt. nicole was attacked by oj several times, over the years, before the murders, so i don't understand why any blame would fall to the cops, as far as doubt goes.
That was the rationale that ran rampant. Cops out to get a successful black man.
a successful black man that beat his wife several times. and was even arrested at least once, for it. no contest. the fact that he got off for the murders was all the lawyers and his status.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I said why in the post.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I didn't think people would trip themselves up over the O.J. example. Pretty clear what happened, yet black America was skeptical at best. Why?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
I said why in the post.
i think it was about oj's money and status. if a working class guy, white or black, had a history of beating his wife and then she turned up dead, no amount of doubt in the cops would have gotten him off.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I said why in the post.
i think it was about oj's money and status. if a working class guy, white or black, had a history of beating his wife and then she turned up dead, no amount of doubt in the cops would have gotten him off.
We're not talking about the same thing.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I said why in the post.
well, if the doubt was related to his skin color... then maybe we should take a look at ourselves and how much stock we put into others who happen to share traits with us. if treating an innocent man like a criminal for their skin color is bad (and it is, without doubt), then covering for, or excusing, a fuck ass wife beater because of his skin color should also be bad. both should be called out.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I said why in the post.
well, if the doubt was related to his skin color... then maybe we should take a look at ourselves and how much stock we put into others who happen to share traits with us. if treating an innocent man like a criminal for their skin color is bad (and it is, without doubt), then covering for, or excusing, a fuck ass wife beater because of his skin color should also be bad. both should be called out.
It's not the skin color. It's the historical precedent of how people with that skin color are treated.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I said why in the post.
It's not the skin color. It's the historical precedent of how people with that skin color are treated.
so how do you solve it? how do you get people to not excuse or cover for violent criminals and murderers that share their skin color or their gender or religion/political affiliation, whatever?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Well you solve it first and foremost by reforming the police.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i don't think that's the answer as it relates to situations like oj simpson, but in general i think that better training, more accountability, and the like could be a good step for police officers.