NFL Offseason, 2017

All sports. We don't even mind if its women's Curling or junior badminton. Although we won't have strong opinions on the latter.
Forum rules
There are no refs here.
Foo
Administrator

Re: NFL Offseason, 2017

Post by Foo »

Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:My nibba definitely wouldn't go to Loss Angeles.

If he did they'd have to rename the city to Win Angeles, finally.
That was the reported outcome next year if this deal didn't get done. Elway has been jonesing for a piece of the Broncos for years, Kroenke offered a stake in the Rams' ownership as well as full control of football operations.
I don't believe ownership shares were offered for a second.
You're entitled to that belief.
Too short a tenure with the success too tied to a single big free agent signing. Denver situation is a good one. No one is going to give up any ownership for that track record. Why not just make him the highest paid director of football operations by 50% if you think he is that great. Giving up equity would be stupid and unnecessary.

Not saying Elway has not done a great job, but you can't run around giving up chunks of a $2 billion dollar team based on what he has done thus far. Pat Riley is the best example of giving up ownership but Riley had sustained success in multiple stretches.

If the Broncos finish 8-8 this year with uncertainty at QB, people start looking at Elway a whole lot different and you don't event think about giving him equity. My belief is that when a single season is potentially going to define the current opinion, it is too early for that type of investment.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Foo wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:My nibba definitely wouldn't go to Loss Angeles.

If he did they'd have to rename the city to Win Angeles, finally.
That was the reported outcome next year if this deal didn't get done. Elway has been jonesing for a piece of the Broncos for years, Kroenke offered a stake in the Rams' ownership as well as full control of football operations.
I don't believe ownership shares were offered for a second.
You're entitled to that belief.
Too short a tenure with the success too tied to a single big free agent signing. Denver situation is a good one. No one is going to give up any ownership for that track record. Why not just make him the highest paid director of football operations by 50% if you think he is that great. Giving up equity would be stupid and unnecessary.

Not saying Elway has not done a great job, but you can't run around giving up chunks of a $2 billion dollar team based on what he has done thus far. Pat Riley is the best example of giving up ownership but Riley had sustained success in multiple stretches.

If the Broncos finish 8-8 this year with uncertainty at QB, people start looking at Elway a whole lot different and you don't event think about giving him equity. My belief is that when a single season is potentially going to define the current opinion, it is too early for that type of investment.
I can think of five, probably more free agent signings who ended up being bigger assets in our 2015 run than Peyton. The Broncos have easily been the best team in free agency in the 2010s, and still would be if you exclude Manning from the rest of the group. Elway has drafted above league average level and has had more success with undrafted free agents than any other team. Either playoffs or winning record every season. And they were the worst team in the league when Elway took the job, with almost no young talent to speak of.

Kroenke and Elway have been friends for a long time, ran an arena team together too. It may never be confirmed publicly, but that was Kroenke's trump card because Elway's desire for a piece of Broncos ownership had dragged negotiations with Denver to an uncomfortable stage.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Your recent stretch of football posts have been a pleasant surprise and bring back great memories of the old sports forum. :)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

What a shitty offseason for the Ravens :( :( :cry:
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:What a shitty offseason for the Ravens :( :( :cry:
Get excited for CK7!

Man that offense is gross. Might be the least talented in the league if not for Yanda and Stanley. Defense is gonna be having to keep games tight all year.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:What a shitty offseason for the Ravens :( :( :cry:
Get excited for CK7!

Man that offense is gross. Might be the least talented in the league if not for Yanda and Stanley. Defense is gonna be having to keep games tight all year.
Its horrific so discouraging.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Kaepernickel in Baltimore... god help us.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

It was always going to be an injury to a starter that snapped teams out of the delusion that they'd be better off with low-skill journeymen QBs than Kaep. Desperation restores the meritocracy.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

If they sign Kap than they do know Flaccos back is much more fucked up than they say. Missing one week of preseason isn't shit but I expect it's worse.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:If they sign Kap than they do know Flaccos back is much more fucked up than they say. Missing one week of preseason isn't shit but I expect it's worse.
True. The team that signs Kaep at this point will be expecting him to play.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Yup, like Headward said, only desperation. Will be interesting to say the least what he does with his platform in Thug City, Murder Capital of the World, though.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:Yup, like Headward said, only desperation. Will be interesting to say the least what he does with his platform in Thug City, Murder Capital of the World, though.
I get the humor about that but it's unironically the best spot for him in that regard. Chicago would have been good too.

Those cities should be welcoming any and all help they can get from private citizens with money.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Yup, like Headward said, only desperation. Will be interesting to say the least what he does with his platform in Thug City, Murder Capital of the World, though.
I get the humor about that but it's unironically the best spot for him in that regard. Chicago would have been good too.

Those cities should be welcoming any and all help they can get from private citizens with money.
He is a very charitable guy, so any bit of good he can bring them, more power to him. I guess it will depend how heavy he gets on the anti-cop shit.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Headhunter wrote:

I was hoping Chicago would pick him up. I have always dug the Bears and I have been becoming a Kaepernick fan as a person. Dude has been taking his riches and giving it back, and it's refreshing to see. Why did he have to go to Baltimore? Lol
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

He is a very charitable guy, so any bit of good he can bring them, more power to him. I guess it will depend how heavy he gets on the anti-cop shit.
Well I promise you this. If even 1% of his efforts are focused on curbing police militarization/brutality, that is the only thing that will be discussed in the media. So we may never honestly know.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jmac Attack wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

I was hoping Chicago would pick him up. I have always dug the Bears and I have been becoming a Kaepernick fan as a person. Dude has been taking his riches and giving it back, and it's refreshing to see. Why did he have to go to Baltimore? Lol
He ain't here yet man. Most of Baltimore hate cops so he would fit in there. To bad he sucks though. I will take my chances with Flying Ryan Mallet
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

He ain't here yet man. Most of Baltimore hate cops so he would fit in there. To bad he sucks though. I will take my chances with Flying Ryan Mallet
Kaep is a bottom-third tier starter but Ryan Mallett? That dude is tragic. Kaep played okay football with zero talent around him last year. You'd think we're talking about another mobile QB who pissed off half of America and kneeled at games.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Does Denver have the best running back tandem in the NFL? I mean holy shit. Jamaal Charles, C.J. Anderson, Bernard Pierce, Juwan Thompson rookie De'Angelo Henderson and just signed Steven Ridley. What the fuck, mang? Too many good running backs and half need to get cut!
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:Does Denver have the best running back tandem in the NFL? I mean holy shit. Jamaal Charles, C.J. Anderson, Bernard Pierce, Juwan Thompson rookie De'Angelo Henderson and just signed Steven Ridley. What the fuck, mang? Too many good running backs and half need to get cut!
Not even close. The best of that lot is CJ Anderson, who is a good but not great player who has never put together a full season. Jamaal Charles is likely washed up. Juwan Thompson is a nobody. Ridley and Pierce are just names who haven't been productive in years. De'Angelo Henderson is a rookie.

In all honesty, that group kind of stinks until a few of those guys can prove otherwise.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Juwan Thompson is a badass. Jamaal Charles is a hall of famer. Pierce and Ridley are at least solid, but Ridley only had that one good season in New England, so who really knows with him.