Crime, Poverty, and the Footopia

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Crime, Poverty, and the Footopia

Post by Foo »

Also, strict drug testing of anyone receiving government benefits. I would also consider tying the academic performance of their children to benefits. Time to break the cycle.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:Genuinely, if the problem is all these people don't want to learn, do you guys think it would be worth having a lower minimum age for workforce participation and just letting the kids go get jobs?
You assume they want to work?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Solution to all ills is simple. We should give liberals their own side of the country; I will even let them choose which they want, west or east, north or south. They do their thing, normal folk will do our thing, normal folk will be happy and prosperous and then god and nature will sort out the liberal side. Chock full of win for all.
so, is this approach to be something that the people decide on, or that the government / politicians decide on? i'm curious if this is intended to be done through democracy or dictatorship or something else?
Cold-hard dictatorship. Can't let the sheep or crooked politicians yammer on for days, gotta get this ball rollin'.
and i assume, no contact (like internet or postal) between the two sides? or something more like mexico / canada, but just without travel access?
No, no, you can visit and interact and all that good stuff.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:Also, strict drug testing of anyone receiving government benefits. I would also consider tying the academic performance of their children to benefits. Time to break the cycle.
this is my opinion, sneaking in for a bit... but i think that government benefits should come with mandatory "volunteer" work for a specified number of hours each month. so, that even if they are unable to find employment for whatever reason, they are still contributing to the system.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:Solution to all ills is simple. We should give liberals their own side of the country; I will even let them choose which they want, west or east, north or south. They do their thing, normal folk will do our thing, normal folk will be happy and prosperous and then god and nature will sort out the liberal side. Chock full of win for all.
so, is this approach to be something that the people decide on, or that the government / politicians decide on? i'm curious if this is intended to be done through democracy or dictatorship or something else?
Cold-hard dictatorship. Can't let the sheep or crooked politicians yammer on for days, gotta get this ball rollin'.
and i assume, no contact (like internet or postal) between the two sides? or something more like mexico / canada, but just without travel access?
No, no, you can visit and interact and all that good stuff.
that would make separation harder, seemingly, but i guess it could be done.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote: We could start by telling the truth. The truth is that there is opportunity that is constantly squandered by stupid behaviors. Stop having children out of wedlock, go to school, work, and stay away from substances.

These people are in America. They have better opportunities than 90% of the world and people risk their lives to get here for less opportunity. My fiancé is from Venezuela, a malfunctioning nation where there is literally no opportunity. Travel around to Latin America, Africa, and India and you see how absurd any claims about lack of opportunity here are.

We give people tax money they can use on candy and energy drinks. My fiancé is a dentist who lives with her mother who is a doctor, and they are frequently locked down in their home with no internet, no places to shop, people standing in lines hoping the government will allow them to buy flour and toilet paper.
Are you envisioning Trump-style rallies to affirm how much opportunity they have, or just pamphlets through the door, people knocking on their doors to tell them how much opportunity they have?

And the second point, you want to take away all government handouts to all communities, forcing them to seize their opportunities?
Culture change. Instead of showing up to the government doorstep and expecting a freebie, start expecting a list of job opportunities. Instead of cards that provide junk food, they get recipes for rice, beans, potatoes, bread, and pasta.

We start teaching self reliance instead of governmental reliance.
Ok, so first and foremost, remove all hand-outs. Then re-assign them to people on the basis of searching for work, being clean from drugs, and being able to show general good moral fibre.

Second reform the food stamps program to allow only basics and then include recipes etc to help people with cooking.

And this would get the ball rolling towards the Footopia.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Genuinely, if the problem is all these people don't want to learn, do you guys think it would be worth having a lower minimum age for workforce participation and just letting the kids go get jobs?
You assume they want to work?
Well they have to do something, so if it isn't learning, then why not let them go do stuff.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

So I recently hired a chef for Crave. Guy has been a chef for close to 40 years. We were talking about a shared experience we had with a local food bank.

This place is subsidized by the government. One of their main functions is training people to cook who need a second chance. Both of us were told in meetings with directors there that the students were not really motivated and there was no one they would really stand behind.

So...is this the right kind of teacher? Or are they simply being honest about the students?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:So I recently hired a chef for Crave. Guy has been a chef for close to 40 years. We were talking about a shared experience we had with a local food bank.

This place is subsidized by the government. One of their main functions is training people to cook who need a second chance. Both of us were told in meetings with directors there that the students were not really motivated and there was no one they would really stand behind.

So...is this the right kind of teacher? Or are they simply being honest about the students?
could be a bit of both? also, not every student, assuming they want to learn, will take to one type of teacher. you have to different processes. if some students aren't taking to one approach, let another type of teacher give it a go?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:So I recently hired a chef for Crave. Guy has been a chef for close to 40 years. We were talking about a shared experience we had with a local food bank.

could be a bit of both? also, not every student, assuming they want to learn, will take to one type of teacher. you have to different processes. if some students aren't taking to one approach, let another type of teacher give it a go?
I was told they do not want to learn. They are there so benefits continue or as part of probation.

Also. Fuck that noise with blaming the teacher. Put on some big boy pants and listen. It is a second chance, not a ballerina school.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:Democrats are happy to just ignore tough problems or blame someone else. If that fails and they are forced to address a problem than the next step is always the same throw tons of money at it. Cities with the very worse crime won't ever change because you can't fix a problem you won't admit exists. Leaders here in Baltimore still sell the same bullshit that it's just a handful of bad apples causing all the problems here. Refusal to except reality.
Sure. They're idiots.

But what policies do you want to see rescinded, and what would you replace them with?
You need to charge more people as adults you need stiffer penalties for parents who's kids run wild and wreck havok.
Tougher sentences for violent crime.
Stop treating school as government funded daycare and remove troublesome students who keep others from learning.
What are the current penalties for parents with shit kids? Are there any?

And what would you do with the students who are trouble? Do you guys have a PRU (Pupil Referral Unit) type thing like they do here?
One of my best friends great guy one of those I'm going to do my part to save the world type dudes decided to become a teacher so he could work in Baltimore where he would be needed most. He's white and kinda knew what he was in for. He lasted 2 weeks when his children were getting death threats he threw in the towel. Not when all his car windows were knocked out and not when he was physically assaulted. Said 70% of his students had ankle monitors and he was told when he got there that expulsion is not an option. It's no longer education it's juvenile detention.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

I was told they do not want to learn. They are there so benefits continue or as part of probation.

Also. Fuck that noise with blaming the teacher. Put on some big boy pants and listen. It is a second chance, not a ballerina school.
some won't want to learn, when it's mandated. some won't take to the approach. but we can lump them all together for the sake of footopia.

so what do you do with the ones who don't want to learn? do you allow them to keep getting benefits, regardless? how do you feel it should be handled?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:Democrats are happy to just ignore tough problems or blame someone else. If that fails and they are forced to address a problem than the next step is always the same throw tons of money at it. Cities with the very worse crime won't ever change because you can't fix a problem you won't admit exists. Leaders here in Baltimore still sell the same bullshit that it's just a handful of bad apples causing all the problems here. Refusal to except reality.
Sure. They're idiots.

But what policies do you want to see rescinded, and what would you replace them with?
You need to charge more people as adults you need stiffer penalties for parents who's kids run wild and wreck havok.
Stop treating school as government funded daycare and remove troublesome students who keep others from learning.

And what would you do with the students who are trouble? Do you guys have a PRU (Pupil Referral Unit) type thing like they do here?
One of my best friends great guy one of those I'm going to do my part to save the world type dudes decided to become a teacher so he could work in Baltimore where he would be needed most. He's white and kinda knew what he was in for. He lasted 2 weeks when his children were getting death threats he threw in the towel. Not when all his car windows were knocked out and not when he was physically assaulted. Said 70% of his students had ankle monitors and he was told when he got there that expulsion is not an option. It's no longer education it's juvenile detention.
ankle monitors implies that the police are having a larger role in the lives of those kids? how in the fuck are they getting death threats and it not being thwarted? that sucks.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Sure. They're idiots.

ankle monitors implies that the police are having a larger role in the lives of those kids? how in the fuck are they getting death threats and it not being thwarted? that sucks.
My friends actual children were getting death threats from his students except they ain't talking shit these were real warnings.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Tiggnutz wrote:
zombie wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Sure. They're idiots.

My friends actual children were getting death threats from his students except they ain't talking shit these were real warnings.
ohhh. i thought you meant "children" as in his students. shit, that is really fucked up.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Baltimore schools spend a staggering $16,00 per student - the fourth-highest rate in the nation - and still an investigation by Fox45's Project Baltimore revealed that at six city schools, not one student scored proficient on either the statewide tests for English and math.

ADVERTISING

At West Baltimore's Frederick Douglass High, one of five high schools and one middle school where not one student scored a four or a five on the state test, only one out of 185 students who took the test last year scored a three, while 165 students scored a one, the lowest possible score.

The schools are:
• Booker T. Washington Middle School
• Frederick Douglass High School
• Achievement Academy at Harbor City
• New Era Academy
• Excel Academy at Francis M. Wood High
• New Hope Academy

Product of liberal inner city policies
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Tiggnutz wrote:Baltimore schools spend a staggering $16,00 per student - the fourth-highest rate in the nation - and still an investigation by Fox45's Project Baltimore revealed that at six city schools, not one student scored proficient on either the statewide tests for English and math.

ADVERTISING

At West Baltimore's Frederick Douglass High, one of five high schools and one middle school where not one student scored a four or a five on the state test, only one out of 185 students who took the test last year scored a three, while 165 students scored a one, the lowest possible score.

The schools are:
• Booker T. Washington Middle School
• Frederick Douglass High School
• Achievement Academy at Harbor City
• New Era Academy
• Excel Academy at Francis M. Wood High
• New Hope Academy

Product of liberal inner city policies
so you think it is a result of the system that they grow up in, not just of bad kids / families?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I'm confused, was it the chef teacher who said this, or a director of the charity?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:

I'm confused, was it the chef teacher who said this, or a director of the charity?
I hired the chef. We both hash similar experiences at the charity when we were told the students were no good.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:

some won't want to learn, when it's mandated. some won't take to the approach. but we can lump them all together for the sake of footopia.

so what do you do with the ones who don't want to learn? do you allow them to keep getting benefits, regardless? how do you feel it should be handled?
don't dodge my question? :P