zombie
Administrator

Re: October 13th 2019

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Baby Driver fits “fun, not dumb”.

I’m talking movies taking place in real situations with real stakes but has that hangout feel. Any moment could end in a laugh or gasp but there’s a positive energy palpable throughout the film. 90s Tarantino and Scorsese in a nutshell.
tarantino and scorsese are hard to beat, when they are on their game. it is hard to debate that.
Its true. And it’s not for a lack of effort that nobody has been able to find the balance they have, there have been so many imitators that flopped.
making pulp fiction is hard. making goodfellas is hard. you can do well, even if you don't live up to that.
I didn’t say to make those movies. I said to make movies with a combo of high stakes, laid-back, positive energy. Most films fall under too dumb to feel real or too brooding to be fun.
i can't argue against that off the top of my head. i guess don't invite me to pick a film for your group sesh or for reign's. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:lol the fuck are you two talking about...they’re not making the movies that hit every note for Reign anymore. There’s no cure except someone making those movies, which isn’t happening right now.
which is fine. but he seems to be wanting to make the case that that's true of me, or of everyone in general. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Baby Driver fits “fun, not dumb”.

I’m talking movies taking place in real situations with real stakes but has that hangout feel. Any moment could end in a laugh or gasp but there’s a positive energy palpable throughout the film. 90s Tarantino and Scorsese in a nutshell.
tarantino and scorsese are hard to beat, when they are on their game. it is hard to debate that.
Its true. And it’s not for a lack of effort that nobody has been able to find the balance they have, there have been so many imitators that flopped.
making pulp fiction is hard. making goodfellas is hard. you can do well, even if you don't live up to that.
I didn’t say to make those movies. I said to make movies with a combo of high stakes, laid-back, positive energy. Most films fall under too dumb to feel real or too brooding to be fun.
i can't argue against that off the top of my head. i guess don't invite me to pick a film for your group sesh or for reign's. :P
We’re just not finding classics. Lot of very good films.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Go show me these world beaters. The Martian? One of the few movies I've seen in theaters, fuck that movie, it ain't worth another viewing.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:lol the fuck are you two talking about...they’re not making the movies that hit every note for Reign anymore. There’s no cure except someone making those movies, which isn’t happening right now.
which is fine. but he seems to be wanting to make the case that that's true of me, or of everyone in general. :P
I think it’s mostly true of me but I still enjoy most everything that’s well made to some degree.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:Go show me these world beaters. The Martian? One of the few movies I've seen in theaters, fuck that movie, it ain't worth another viewing.
Do you measure greatness by rewatchability?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:Go show me these world beaters. The Martian? One of the few movies I've seen in theaters, fuck that movie, it ain't worth another viewing.
That movie is awesome. I’m not saying it’s a classic
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Rewatchability is at least 20% of the equation. It’s not everything but it does move the needle.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Quentin's new flick is a world beater, in my opinion. A concrete #2 to Pulp Fiction for me.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:Rewatchability is at least 20% of the equation. It’s not everything but it does move the needle.
For my absolute favorites, I tend to shy away from rewatching them a lot. I limit my all time favorites to once a year or so. I don't want to remember every little detail about those tier-1 flicks. I always want there to be some element of surprise, generally in the dialogue that I forgot about since it'd been so long since my last viewing.

I've seen Austin Powers 2 like 60 fucking times and it was alright. lol.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

David O. Russell makes fun, not dumb movies.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:
Not entirely, no. But it does stand to reason, what is great that I wouldn't rewatch?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:
Not entirely, no. But it does stand to reason, what is great that I wouldn't rewatch?
Gone Girl, as stated multiple times...
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:
We all have our "things". I conceded to would rewatch. So like Baby Driver, maybe that's one that could find it's way into the want to rewatch.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:
Jason wrote:
We all have our "things". I conceded to would rewatch. So like Baby Driver, maybe that's one that could find it's way into the want to rewatch.
I got like 8 minutes in and gave up on Baby Driver. :p
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Bad news for the haters and losers, Get Out gets better on every subsequent rewatch and will have a bigger long term legacy than any movie of the 2010s.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

See, all three of us have similar sensibilities, and we ain't agreeing on this, but we'll always have Wolf. And a shit ton of older movies.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:Bad news for the haters and losers, Get Out gets better on every subsequent rewatch and will have a bigger long term legacy than any movie of the 2010s.
Get Out (of my DVD player) is likely never getting another rewatch from me.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:See, all three of us have similar sensibilities, and we ain't agreeing on this, but we'll always have Wolf. And a shit ton of older movies.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Bad news for the haters and losers, Get Out gets better on every subsequent rewatch and will have a bigger long term legacy than any movie of the 2010s.
Get Out (of my DVD player) is likely never getting another rewatch from me.
Yes, your over-the-top vitriol was well-noted.

One of the best written films of the 2000s.