The daily chat room.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: July 30th, 2017

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:You do have to go back to the 1980s to find a time when Keanu was goofy in the way Cruise always will be.
I didn't say he had to be a badass mofo in every movie. That movie was made after Speed and The Matrix.
The Matrix was overrated to high hell. Speed is probably his best flick behind Point Break.
lol, somehow forgot Point Break. Johnny Utah wins.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:I'm sure that annoying Crowder guy is very consistent in his approach to picking apart unrealistic scenes in films, and this was in no way a unique occasion based on gender.
no, politics played no part in his criticism of the movie. :P
If politics didn't play a part in the movie, there would be no criticism.
are the politics in the movie telling you what kind of action hero should and should not be in a movie?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:I actually like Keanu better overall than Cruise. Jack Reacher was just a way better flick than Wick.
And I like Cruise better overall than Keanu. His filmography is one of the best ever. But as an intimidator, it isn't close.
Did you see Jack Reacher? He is anything but an intimidator in that movie.
Intimidator was the wrong word to use, more about presence than anything. "Do I buy what I'm seeing from THAT guy?" basically.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

you know if natalie portman had been cast instead of charlize theron, you would never even have made a fuss. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Jason wrote:I actually like Keanu better overall than Cruise. Jack Reacher was just a way better flick than Wick.
And I like Cruise better overall than Keanu. His filmography is one of the best ever. But as an intimidator, it isn't close.
Did you see Jack Reacher? He is anything but an intimidator in that movie.
Intimidator was the wrong word to use, more about presence than anything. "Do I buy what I'm seeing from THAT guy?" basically.
The entire Jack Reacher movie is completely character driven with a very detailed plot. 95% of Reacher's character is based on intellect. Jack Reacher isn't a mindless fun, action, beat 'em up flick like John Wick is. Which is why I don't understand why the two are compared on these boards.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:you know if natalie portman had been cast instead of charlize theron, you would never even have made a fuss. :P
Natalie Portman stays in her lane. I don't have to worry about a movie like that with her.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

If we're being real, we're grading presence of action stars on a curve. None of them have the total package we saw from 80s action stars. The guy who would be the closest if he wanted to be is The Rock, but he just doesn't take those roles. He'd really be killer though.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:I'm sure that annoying Crowder guy is very consistent in his approach to picking apart unrealistic scenes in films, and this was in no way a unique occasion based on gender.
are the politics in the movie telling you what kind of action hero should and should not be in a movie?
Female lesbian badass beats up countless men in unrealistic ways, many of whom happen to be Russian.

Politics.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:you know if natalie portman had been cast instead of charlize theron, you would never even have made a fuss. :P
Natalie Portman stays in her lane. I don't have to worry about a movie like that with her.
"stays in her lane"? ouch. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Headhunter wrote:If we're being real, we're grading presence of action stars on a curve. None of them have the total package we saw from 80s action stars. The guy who would be the closest if he wanted to be is The Rock, but he just doesn't take those roles. He'd really be killer though.
I don't know what the fuck he's doing. Why even take steroids when you're gonna co-star in a teen comedy with Zac Efron?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
I'm kidding.

Natalie Portman is politically liberal, but I am still a fan... until she pulls a Sean Penn.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Female lesbian badass beats up countless men in unrealistic ways, many of whom happen to be Russian.

Politics.
it looks like she takes a lot of beating from those same guys. she's just scrappy. :P and i haven't seen the movie, so i don't know if she has help or not. but james mcavoy plays a big part in the movie, reportedly.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:
I'm kidding.

Natalie Portman is politically liberal, but I am still a fan... until she pulls a Sean Penn.
i'm aware. i didn't take it seriously.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

One thing I love about Jack Reacher is its Conservative approach. You never see that in Hollywood, anymore. Huge points there. In both movies. But the first was considerably greater.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:If we're being real, we're grading presence of action stars on a curve. None of them have the total package we saw from 80s action stars. The guy who would be the closest if he wanted to be is The Rock, but he just doesn't take those roles. He'd really be killer though.
there aren't nearly the type of big action guys like there were in the 80s, definitely. that doesn't mean that action heroes can't be capable at any size. there's room for sarah connor and john mcclane as much as there is for rambo and dutch.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:
I don't know what the fuck he's doing. Why even take steroids when you're gonna co-star in a teen comedy with Zac Efron?
It really is too bad. One ironic family comedy every few years would be fine as an exception people could ignore, but he jumps into every piece of shit project.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
there aren't nearly the type of big action guys like there were in the 80s, definitely. that doesn't mean that action heroes can't be capable at any size. there's room for sarah connor and john mcclane as much as there is for rambo and dutch.
Not just the peak physique guys. Who can play the John McClanes of today?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
jason statham made a career of essentially doing just that, didn't he? maybe not what you guys like, but he was pretty successful for a while. liam neeson, denzel washington, and a slew of other more dramatic actors have taken to the action hero thing recently too.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
jason statham made a career of essentially doing just that, didn't he? maybe not what you guys like, but he was pretty successful for a while. liam neeson, denzel washington, and a slew of other more dramatic actors have taken to the action hero thing recently too.
I've sat in chairs with more personality than Jason Statham.

Those guys can flat out act so yeah they can do action. It is not the same though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
I've sat in chairs with more personality than Jason Statham.

Those guys can flat out act so yeah they can do action. It is not the same though.
hehe fair enough.

well, bruce willis didn't start as an action guy, if that's what you're getting at? it would be cool to have more like willis, ford, gibson, and swayze type action heroes today. maybe when superheroes run the course, we'll get back to something more like that.