Exploiting tragedy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Exploiting tragedy

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Foo going full old man crazy on us. Blame the Telly. Blame music. Blame anything except the actual problem.
If you think guns are the problem and not society, I don't know what to tell you.

So many kids growing up without two loving parents, dosed with mind altering drugs, and then a barrage of hyper violence.
Your society isn’t the only one in the West with the things you just described.

But it is the only one with this many guns and mass shootings. So it seems like society isn’t the problem.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Also the violent movie theory can fuck right off. Japan has always produced immensely violent and escapist films, anime and Manga. They have the lowest rate of gun deaths in the modernized world.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

people have issues. don't address the issues. or even the cause of the issues. just take away the thing they pick up to work out their issues. again, treating the symptom.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:Also the violent movie theory can fuck right off. Japan has always produced immensely violent and escapist films, anime and Manga. They have the lowest rate of gun deaths in the modernized world.
agreed.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:people have issues. don't address the issues. or even the cause of the issues. just take away the thing they pick up to work out their issues. again, treating the symptom.
What issues did the Florida guy have that should’ve been dealt with? Or Vegas guy. Or so many others.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Also the violent movie theory can fuck right off. Japan has always produced immensely violent and escapist films, anime and Manga. They have the lowest rate of gun deaths in the modernized world.
agreed.
Absolutely agree. They also are taught civility and respect
For others.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:people have issues. don't address the issues. or even the cause of the issues. just take away the thing they pick up to work out their issues. again, treating the symptom.
What issues did the Florida guy have that should’ve been dealt with? Or Vegas guy. Or so many others.
the guy in florida had serious issues. i don't know much about the guy in vegas. someone without serious issues or some kind of larger agenda, is not going to pick up a weapon and use it to kill innocent people on purpose.

look harder at people who are trying to purchase guns. if they have violent criminal pasts, if they have a known history of emotional problems, if they are children, under the age of 18, they should not be allowed to purchase fire arms of any kind. and also address the issues with the person and the reasons for those issues, as well.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
the guy in florida had serious issues. i don't know much about the guy in vegas. someone without serious issues or some kind of larger agenda, is not going to pick up a weapon and use it to kill innocent people on purpose.

look harder at people who are trying to purchase guns. if they have violent criminal pasts, if they have a known history of emotional problems, if they are children, under the age of 18, they should not be allowed to purchase fire arms of any kind. and also address the issues with the person and the reasons for those issues, as well.
Half valid and half the point being made. You can fix mental health checks all you want but most things are not going to stop the violence. Because most aren’t committed against their will. Or even seek help at all.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

since you brought up japan, let me ask.. how are they treated as it regards to their individual value? and since i feel like foo is pushing toward it, how are women and lgbt treated in the culture?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

Half valid and half the point being made. You can fix mental health checks all you want but most things are not going to stop the violence. Because most aren’t committed against their will. Or even seek help at all.
maybe treating everyone like children who can't be trusted, because a few among them break, would be furthering the problem? but maybe it's the answer too. it does seem to be from your point of view at least. *shrug*
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:since you brought up japan, let me ask.. how are they treated as it regards to their individual value? and since i feel like foo is pushing toward it, how are women and lgbt treated in the culture?
There’s much more of a social and group dynamic. There’s plenty of respect for community too. But there’s still not a great deal I can say regarding LGBT, it’s not something I knew much about when there’d.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

maybe treating everyone like children who can't be trusted, because a few among them break, would be furthering the problem? but maybe it's the answer too. it does seem to be from your point of view at least. *shrug*
The problem is the guns available to those that break.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:
showa58taro wrote:

The problem is the guns available to those that break.
how would you limit the availability of guns to those that break?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Mexico's entire language is built on male and female words. Wonder how libs feel about those gender hating mexicans hopping the border, now?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:since you brought up japan, let me ask.. how are they treated as it regards to their individual value? and since i feel like foo is pushing toward it, how are women and lgbt treated in the culture?
There’s much more of a social and group dynamic. There’s plenty of respect for community too. But there’s still not a great deal I can say regarding LGBT, it’s not something I knew much about when there’d.
if i'm bothering you, feel free not to, but i'd like you to explain that a little bit more? specifically the social and group dynamic, as i think that is likely where the respect for community would come from.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Mexico's entire language is built on male and female words. Wonder how libs feel about those gender hating mexicans hopping the border, now?
gender hating, because they ascribe gender to words? i don't follow. is this just another snarky joke that i shouldn't have thought too much into? :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:
Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Foo going full old man crazy on us. Blame the Telly. Blame music. Blame anything except the actual problem.
If you think guns are the problem and not society, I don't know what to tell you.

So many kids growing up without two loving parents, dosed with mind altering drugs, and then a barrage of hyper violence.
Your society isn’t the only one in the West with the things you just described.

But it is the only one with this many guns and mass shootings. So it seems like society isn’t the problem.
Switzerland is just as gun happy as the US. Very little problem with gun crime. It is not the guns.

Why do inner city blacks shoot each other at a high rate? Could it be because the black family is in shambles and loving parents are replaced with violent rap culture?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

What would happen in Japan if a student were to disrespect and try to physically intimidate a school teacher?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

As for violence in media, including video games and movies, it is a factor in desensitizing. If you are otherwise a happy and healthy person, you can handle it. Sadly, more and more cannot.

Dealing with the public for 25 years now, you see the changes and the broad array of issues.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

showa58taro wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Jmac Attack wrote:Not to derail the thread, but I just read that Trump said he wants to address mental health. I applaud him for that.
How is that going to help?
It's a start.
No it isn’t. Well, not relating to guns and mass shootings.
Trump not long ago did away with the law the would not allow the people who have been proven to be mentally ill to purchase guns. Trust me.....it's a start for him.