Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Havok wrote:Bill & Ted Face The Music
Just got back. Most enjoyable. Luckily Kristen Schaal didn't annoy me by not going full-squeal with her voice like I thought she would. Thought the daughters were great. Had no reference for Brigitte, who played Billie, but I thought her mimicry of Ted was pretty damn amazing, without quite being a clone. Samara just can't seem to go wrong.

I think Kevin Yagher should finally get a Make-up Oscar nom for this movie too. Probably won't, but the occasional goofball movie does squeak in from time to time (Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Click, for examples)

Did roll my eyes a bit at one scene...

*****SPOILERS*****

Jimi Hendrix "dueling" with Mozart, playing like he was Malmsteen...yeah, okay, lulz :P
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

The New Mutants
Forgettable but not awful.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Monster wrote:The New Mutants
I did notice as we were leaving, it was still playing, and the cinematography was so dark I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I immediately thought "glad I skipped it". People need to stop shooting their movies like Solo.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Monster wrote:The New Mutants
I did notice as we were leaving, it was still playing, and the cinematography was so dark I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I immediately thought "glad I skipped it". People need to stop shooting their movies like Solo.
I loved Solo, but I know what you mean. I know nothing about these characters or the comics, I was just pleased it wasn't like every other comic book movie. They're wearing thin. Only reason I went is because I was invited.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I generally enjoyed Solo too, as a time-killer-filler sort of thing, but goddamn, the dark cinematography with muddled contrasts are getting really annoying, and it was most obvious with that picture, imo. No idea if New Mutants is *that* dark, but it looked almost unwatchable on a drive-in screen.

I remember thinking Rob Zombie's Halloween was too dark for the Drive-In as well, not being able to tell what was going on in the last 20 minutes or so (though luckily I'd already seen it in a regular theater)
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

It's not as dark as Solo, or as good. I imagine it would be more enjoyable if you know the characters.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Bill and Ted Face the Music - B
Its has some of the funniest scenes of the 3 films
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Tenet

Story had been done in a similar fashion in other movies, action pieces were pretty good. Last act was entertaining.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Residue. Weird film. Some of the cuts are jarring, and the main actor is kinda shit, but it was an interesting watch. It also has cameos from Matt Frewer, the Cigarette Smoking Man, and a dude I've seen in a million films but don't know his name(was a in a few Saw films).
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Owners. Home invasion flick with the "twist" the owners are nutters. Nothing special, but there's a weird ass aspect ratio change about an hour in that lasts twenty-odd minutes. It's pretty annoying, because it makes it harder to tell what the fuck is going on, and generally serves no purpose other than the director trying to be artsy or some shit. Good buildup, but a shit ending after a shit third act.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Babysitter 2: Killer Queen. This was surprisingly good, though I think I prefer the first. It started off kinda weird to me, seemed like it was going for a teen comedy thing I was not digging, but once it got going, it was great. For those that care about it, Samara Weaving doesn't get a lot of screen time, but that was kinda hinted at in the trailer, so no real surprise there.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Ice Storm. A drama with a great cast that I never heard of. Was pretty good.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Slaughterhouserock wrote:The Ice Storm. A drama with a great cast that I never heard of. Was pretty good.
Is this the one by Ang Lee?
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is this the one by Ang Lee?
Yup.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Is this the one by Ang Lee?
Yup.
First Ang Lee movie I've seen. Yeah, it was a pretty good drama. Gets forgotten about now.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Cuties ........... B+

The uproar is definitely taken way out of context, a legion of idiots that clearly refuse to watch the film giving poor grades...which is why I can never trust "user ratings", internet trolls will troll when they find a target). They're extracting the criticism this movie makes against the booty-dance culture that is influencing young girls, just to be a bunch of conservative Tipper Gores.

No, it's a good drama about an immigrant girl, who doesn't want to be part of her family's oppressive culture (they're the kind that classically did arranged marriages very young, and the men take multiple wives), and is intrigued by her classmates after seeing how they dance, which they try to do in private because of people possibly judging them (rightfully, really). She works her way into their circle, but also makes assumptions about them because of how their style is. She notices that they frequently want to pretend they're older than they really are, constantly flirting with older boys. They get into a dance competition, and soon after she gets in trouble with her circle of friends by posting something online that makes them look bad. Slutty, whorish, all that fun shit. I won't go into further spoilers with the 3rd act, but it's definitely a keen look into the type of influence younger girls are looking up to, and it does show it's not appropriate, and yes, she soon realizes it, and even better she realizes it on her own. She jumped into this fad with exaggerated ideas of what it's about, and her friends turn on her when she assumes they can take things further.

In many ways, it reminds me of the film Thirteen. The way the girls talked about shit felt VERY real to that age. Wardrobe is definitely different, obviously, but when I was that age I was in Texas and most schools had stricter dress codes. This films in France, lulz. But the language, pretty damn dead on. Alli watched it with me (hell I think she liked it even more) and was gushing how realistic the girl cliques felt, and the dumb shit they say and think.

I'm pretty sure it's well acted, but the dubbing was awkward in many spots, especially for the girls.

Those controversial shots of them dancing? That's how they see themselves. It's literally how they're cropping their phones to record themselves. There's an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia I got reminded of, granted in that case it was comedically exaggerated, but it was basically the same instance. How they see themselves and their routine, is NOT how an audience sees them, and the film shows this.

The original ad campaign was terrible though. I would not have guessed the movie was a heavy drama of a girl trying to adjust between two very different cultures, and making bad assumptions about both.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched The Patriot for the first time in some years. Still a very solid film with a great cast and quality action.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The Devil all the Time - B-

If you’ve seen Place Beyond the Pines there are some similarities here. Best part of this movie is that old rural Ohio atmosphere. It’s a fine movie but does nothing that leaves a big impression. Robert Pattinson’s southern accent is hilarious. Worth checking out.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Yummy. Surprisingly good zombie film. Despite the silly premise, it plays it as straight as possible. There are bits of comedy thrown in, but they're more due to absurd shit happening, not just slapstick or jokes. Definitely worth a watch.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Hardware. Been at least twenty years since I last saw this, so it was all but forgotten. Good weird sci-fi horror. I also forgot about the soundtrack. The Order of Death is probably gonna be stuck in my head for a few days now.