Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
zombie
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by zombie »

the snyder cut is more than just the full version he would have given in 2017 (had tragedy not occurred) jared leto, for instance, was never a part of that film, even before whedon was hired. he had time to think about it and add more things that he hadn't intended for the original film.

it's just a different thing to me.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

However Leto would've been in the sequels, that he did have planned. He was buttoning up his ideas for future films in JL's epilogue since it's a long shot WB would still continue his path, so now that he's given the chance to finish his movie, he's covered everything he can complete with teasers.

His Justice League is probably on par with Watchmen, IMO, but since it's still so fresh to me, I'm not going to claim it's better. Not yet anyway. I really liked Watchmen :p
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

One Night in Miami

This was a flop for me in large part because I never bought the characters of Malcolm X and Cassius Clay for a second. And for an imagined night featuring four icons of the civil rights era, I found the discussion pretty bland. Not much exploration or risk taking, if you know any background about the four men in the context of the time, the entire thing is predictable and never dares to veer off track for a second. It’s not a bad movie. It’s also not a terribly interesting one.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:One Night in Miami

This was a flop for me in large part because I never bought the characters of Malcolm X and Cassius Clay for a second. And for an imagined night featuring four icons of the civil rights era, I found the discussion pretty bland. Not much exploration or risk taking, if you know any background about the four men in the context of the time, the entire thing is predictable and never dares to veer off track for a second. It’s not a bad movie. It’s also not a terribly interesting one.
I found it really good, but likely wouldn't revisit. Regina King's definitely flexed as a director though, imo, as she kept me interested in a mostly one-room film.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:

I found it really good, but likely wouldn't revisit. Regina King's definitely flexed as a director though, imo, as she kept me interested in a mostly one-room film.
Yeah I can’t knock it as a bad movie or anything, it’s obviously a solid well-made film. It just didn’t do anything to make a big impression on me. Just felt like it was sorta going through the motions on a topic that is in its peak saturation phase right now.

Did you see Judas and the Black Messiah?
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:

Yeah I can’t knock it as a bad movie or anything, it’s obviously a solid well-made film. It just didn’t do anything to make a big impression on me. Just felt like it was sorta going through the motions on a topic that is in its peak saturation phase right now.

Did you see Judas and the Black Messiah?
Not yet. Feeling burnt out so focused on my book I've been watching easy-brain stuff lately :/

It's on my list with Nomadland
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

The Toll. An uber driver and his passenger end up stuck in some alternate dimension type of thing in the middle of nowhere at 3:00 am. Weirdness ensues. It's not particularly innovative, but it does a good job at building tension and a feeling of isolation in the first half. The Crazy Ralph character is really out of place due to the situation, and there are bits that you can see coming a mile away, but it was a decent film.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

True Romance, The Lost Boys, Letters from Iwo Jima, Mad Max Fury Road, Better Off Dead. Been exposing my niece to greatness she’s never experienced.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Arbors. Slow burn and leaves you guessing if the monster is real, or if it's just in the guy's head through most of it. Decent, but probably not for everyone.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Resort. Haunted resort film. I hate ghost films, so why did I watch this? Who knows, but I did. I think the whole film used ADR, and bad ADR. Which is weird, because it's all english dubbed in english. Several times you can see lips moving, but no dialogue. It starts with a really bad info dump via a youtube video. The film is only an hour and fifteen minutes, but it has plenty of filler. Hell, they don't even get to the resort until the thirty-five minute mark. Besides the intro, no ghost stuff happens until fifty-three minutes in and the ending is down right silly. Yeah, not worth the time wasted.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Godzilla vs. Kong. Went about as expected. Fun, but not something you can really think about without hurting your brain. Also, Millie Bobby Brown's character is a pain in the ass. I know it's supposed to be a strong female character or some shit, but she's just that annoying kid that thinks they're smarter than everyone, and I hate that. In the immortal words of Ma Fratelli, "kids suck".

Chaos Walking. Another fun film, but man, they really don't explain anything. There's a whole fucking alien race that's talked about, but is only shown in one scene and has no impact on the plot. The main bad guy's motivations make fuckall sense. And the ending was kinda shit. Some spoilers follow, so stop reading now if you care. There's a ton of foreshadowing Spiderman killing the bad guy with a knife Jack Burton style, but he uses some bullshit empathy play that doesn't fit with the character. The bad guy even gave him the fucking knife, for fuck's sake. Total Chekov's Gun situation totally fucked. Then the ship lands and everyone goes about life as normal like this crew of assholes didn't just try to kill them. So weird. Still worth a watch, but man, you really can't think about anything without confusing yourself.

Spare Parts. A girl band gets kidnapped, has their right hands cut off and replaced with weapons, then made to fight gladiator style for some rednecks that worship dirt gods. A bit 70's exploitation, a bit 80's sensibility, but not as good as it sounds. Worth a watch, but don't go in expecting something memorable.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Honeydew. A very unlikable couple camps out somewhere, get told to leave, but their car "won't start", then they run into the local yokel crazies. Nothing special, right? No, this shit is weird. Fucking weird, man. Everything. Camerawork, edits, music...just fucking weird. Then the shit that's going on at the house. It probably wouldn't be so odd if not for all the other weird shit, but since you've already been on the train to crazy town for an hour before anything really happens, it makes it stranger than it should be. At least to me. Definitely worth checking out.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Believer. Psychological thriller that plays out kinda like Jacob's Ladder for the majority of the film. It's a couple that seems to hate each other because the wife(maybe, never mentioned if they were married) had an abortion while the guy was out of town. Each one acts as if the other is losing their mind. Fairly boring, and the only thing that kept me going was to see who was gonna end up dead. Then, with ten minutes left, there's a twist. After sitting through the rest of the shit, I didn't care for it. Would've been better if played straight, rather than using mental gymnastics to keep the viewer from having any clue what's going on.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Benny Loves You. Horror comedy about a killer teddy bear. Steadily gets more ridiculous as it goes on, but it's a fun watch.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I watched Wonder recently for the first time. Call me a bitch but I choked up.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The Wailing

Have joined s second film club because I can, and they chose this. Very exciting. :) also one really good film, treasure of a Korean horror film.

I do like that it can be interpreted various ways. Does make you wonder just how well it would work off it was made in the west.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

It was pretty dope. Hollywood would simplify it.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:It was pretty dope. Hollywood would simplify it.
Yup
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I just had a flash of it cut down to 90 minutes. Ugh.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Empty Man. Urban legend scenario in the vein of Candyman, but with a cult thrown in for good measure. The trailer made it out to be a ghost film with a bunch of jump scares, so I was not looking forward to it. Whoever made the trailer should be fired, cause it was actually a decent film. The bad: The first 23 minutes could easily be skipped, as it's just a setup so you know who one guy is two hours later(and you don't need to know, it has no bearing on the plot, he could easily remain a John Doe). It also suffers from thinking it's more intelligent than it is, especially during the big reveal at the end. Still, worth a watch.