50%
Choose seats at purchase
50%

Total votes: 8

Jason
Administrator

Theater Seating Poll

Post by Jason »

Over the past couple of years or so, all the theaters in my area now make you pick your seats when you buy your ticket, as opposed to first come, first serve. I think this can be positive and negative in some ways. What is your preference regarding seating at movie theaters?
Havok
Charter Member

Re: Theater Seating Poll

Post by Havok »

Only one of the three nearest theaters near me does assigned seating. It's a Cinemark, while the other two are kind of mom and pop in a way. I barely go to the Cinemark as it's the farthest one from me, so i'm not really a fan of choosing seats. Plus, it's also based on my experience for The Belko Experiment I saw there. I had a dude about 3 seats to my left who wouldn't shut up and then behind me I had a family with kids acting up. Literally walked out of the theater and had to manually change seats because you're not allowed to just get up and switch because of emergency reasons. I guess it's no fault on the theater, as it was the people who made that a terrible situation.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

That's pretty interesting.

On one hand, when I went to go see the opening showing of IT in 2017 with a buddy and his girlfriend, the assigned seating chart helped in knowing that we wouldn't be sitting anywhere near each other so we had to find different theaters, but I also hate the idea of people purchasing tickets on their phone or buying them way in advance, because people flake out. I'll get to a theater early to buy a ticket and find a seat about 20 minutes before the previews only to find when buying my ticket that a ton of people already bought tickets so seating is limited. I can't tell you how many times the seating chart had a near full house, only for me and like two other groups to be at the showing. It's pretty ridiculous in that regard, and that tends to be my experience with assigned seating. I am just not a fan.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I go to the movies by myself a lot and I don't want to sit near anyone else reserved seating makes that way easier
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Love reserved seating. Aisle, back rows. No fuss. Purchased 1-4 days in advance. Fuck you impulsive clowns, I’ve got kids and I don’t get to go out often. I’m going, I’m going where I want and when I want.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

First come first serve. Buying tickets ahead of time is fine, but prime seats don't go wasted or to the fuckers coming in 15 minutes late.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote:I go to the movies by myself a lot and I don't want to sit near anyone else reserved seating makes that way easier
Does it? What if the assigned seating puts you right next to the idiots, where in the normal seating you just get up and move?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

On the other hand, the prices are horse shit enough now I get not wanting to settle for subpar seats.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

if i went to movies, i would want pre-assigned seats.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

We don't have assigned seats yet at my local place.
I usually choose my seat mid to back according to what person is sitting where. I look up from the stairs and gauge those buttmunches in a three second glance. I like the ability to do that too much. I usually will strategically place myself on the border of the category that is the least irritating.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The people with you are always a gamble either way. At least I get my seat that I want.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

showa58taro wrote:The people with you are always a gamble either way. At least I get my seat that I want.
What happens if you go and you sit next to a 500 pound guy who smells, hogs the armrest, obsessively itches his balls while small talking with you the entire time?

If the entire theatre is full do you have to sit in your assigned seat? :?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Ava wrote:
showa58taro wrote:The people with you are always a gamble either way. At least I get my seat that I want.
What happens if you go and you sit next to a 500 pound guy who smells, hogs the armrest, obsessively itches his balls while small talking with you the entire time?

If the entire theatre is full do you have to sit in your assigned seat? :?
Yeah, if it’s full there’s only your seat. Pretty rare in London though. So in this case you could try moving and sitting elsewhere I guess. I’ve never had to.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:I go to the movies by myself a lot and I don't want to sit near anyone else reserved seating makes that way easier
Does it? What if the assigned seating puts you right next to the idiots, where in the normal seating you just get up and move?
I try and get one of the ends that usually have 2 seats than a gap I buy the tickets the morning before I go so I can see whos sitting where
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I love reserved seating. Means I can get up and use the shitter or something, and come back to my seat without it being stolen. Now I hate the "convenience fees" of purchasing them online, because what convenience is that? It's all automated, a person's wage isn't used on it, it's a bullshit upcharge. If I can, I get my seats reserved at the box office ahead of time.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

plus with the reserved seats, normally the theatres I've experienced with them have the big reclyner seats that put space in between you and the seat next to you. So if there's a big fat smelly guy that thinks I look like Ava, there's some distance :P
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I don't like assigned seats. I need to be able to move if there's a loud eater or frequent phone checker near me. And yeah, I can wait a few minutes and move to an empty seat, but that's a few minutes of listening to someone smacking on their popcorn. I'll be beyond homicidal by then.
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

I love assigned seats. I check the seating situation about half an hour before the movie is set to start, if I can't get a pair of seats in the back row by the aisle that are secluded, I just don't go, lol.
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I can do book 2 seats for free if I’m really concerned. :D
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Admittedly popcorn snacking isn’t that popular in the UK and massive fat people are also not prevalent in the London cinemas as we are full of skinny hipster bankers. :D