The texting suicide thingy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Foo
Administrator

The texting suicide thingy

Post by Foo »

Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: The texting suicide thingy

Post by Tiggnutz »

Ive read it was thousands of texts telling him to kill himself and not just one she didn't think he would take seriously so I'm fine with the sentence except the five years of probation it should be twice that.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

She is obviously a horrible person.

Not sure there is a crime here, though, and really think manslaughter is a stretch. My reasoning is that his own actions were the sole cause of his death. She could have done the exact same thing and if he did not act, was there a crime?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i heard that it went beyond texts, and then she even listened to him die over the phone. i definitely think there is a crime here.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Foo wrote:She is obviously a horrible person.

Not sure there is a crime here, though, and really think manslaughter is a stretch. My reasoning is that his own actions were the sole cause of his death. She could have done the exact same thing and if he did not act, was there a crime?
I think it was a combination of his and her actions that caused his death and him killing himself is when it became a crime.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

That girl is a poster child for a generation of fucked up desensitized self obsessed youth. Scary to think how little life seems to mean to that group.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Tiggnutz wrote:That girl is a poster child for a generation of fucked up desensitized self obsessed youth. Scary to think how little life seems to mean to that group.
We have told a generation it is ok to kill an unborn baby because it is inconvenient. We have told them it is ok to put older family members into nursing homes when it gets difficult. Sometimes there are unintended consequences to our actions.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:That girl is a poster child for a generation of fucked up desensitized self obsessed youth. Scary to think how little life seems to mean to that group.
We have told a generation it is ok to kill an unborn baby because it is inconvenient. We have told them it is ok to put older family members into nursing homes when it gets difficult. Sometimes there are unintended consequences to our actions.
sometimes people make false equivalences too. how many actually don't see a problem with what she did?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Tiggnutz wrote:

I think it was a combination of his and her actions that caused his death and him killing himself is when it became a crime.
There may be some crime here, but I have never heard manslaughter defined remotely close to what happened here.

As an example, you can become an accomplice to a crime when another person commits a crime. Is his family saying he is a criminal? I don't like this precedent.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:

There may be some crime here, but I have never heard manslaughter defined remotely close to what happened here.

As an example, you can become an accomplice to a crime when another person commits a crime. Is his family saying he is a criminal? I don't like this precedent.
what precedent? she talked a depressed person into taking his life, and then listened while he died.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:

what precedent? she talked a depressed person into taking his life, and then listened while he died.
Manslaughter is taking the life of another without premeditation or malice.

This is not manslaughter.

- there was premeditation
- there was potential malice
- she did not take his life

Again, it may be another crime, but it is not manslaughter.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
sometimes people make false equivalences too. how many actually don't see a problem with what she did?
Was there a false equivalence in this case? Doesn't matter how many people have issues with her, it is about the law.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Look, a tractor trailer could come screaming down the road tomorrow and splatter her all over the road like a pizza pie and I would call it a happy accident. She is a bitch and a loser, and should not be in society. I don't believe this was proper use of the law, though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Was there a false equivalence in this case? Doesn't matter how many people have issues with her, it is about the law.
i think you were making the false equivalence with your other post. and was asking how many people actually don't see anything wrong with it, because that's what led to you making the connections you did.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:

Manslaughter is taking the life of another without premeditation or malice.

This is not manslaughter.

- there was premeditation
- there was potential malice
- she did not take his life

Again, it may be another crime, but it is not manslaughter.
yeah, i would say it's closer to murder, than manslaughter. again, i don't see what precedent it sets, that is a bad thing?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

The obvious problem with murder is that there was no murder. He took his own life.

Sometimes things are shitty but not illegal. Perhaps there was a lesser crime here, but we can't name a mockery of our laws by charging and convicting people for crimes they did not commit because we do not like them.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
i think you were making the false equivalence with your other post. and was asking how many people actually don't see anything wrong with it, because that's what led to you making the connections you did.
You need to better explain the false equivalence I made. I don't recall saying anything was equivalent.

I was pointing out that society has been grooming people to not respect life.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

The other day I said "go fuck yourself" to someone. They went home and masturbated. I should be charged with rape.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
You need to better explain the false equivalence I made. I don't recall saying anything was equivalent.

I was pointing out that society has been grooming people to not respect life.
enh. i still question the percentage of people that don't respect life.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:The obvious problem with murder is that there was no murder. He took his own life.

Sometimes things are shitty but not illegal. Perhaps there was a lesser crime here, but we can't name a mockery of our laws by charging and convicting people for crimes they did not commit because we do not like them.
no, it's not murder exactly. but that's closer than manslaughter. everything is there short of physically taking the life yourself.